boot disk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redOne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: boot disk Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone else is having the same problem however I can't seem to be able to get gentoo to even boot the installer on my laptop. Well for starters I never was able to boot from a cd any distribution of Linux, I mananged to get by this by using boot disks and then having everything else working from there.

Now I burned the iso image using Easy CD Creator however when I attempt to boot the disk, all I get is ...

ISOLINUX 1.67 2002-02-03

and thats it, nothing follows. I attempted using a slackware boot disk to boot the gentoo installation, however I wasn't able to get far, before the installation script began to ask me to insert a VFS root disk(?!?), yeah so that lost me at about 8AM, I have been trying to get this working since 10PM last night, in-between doing a term paper.

So now how do I get my laptop running gentoo, however more importantly, how do I make a boot disk that works?
gschneider
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like your cd-rom don't like bootabel cds ... try boot floppies, e.g. tomsrtbt.

http://toms.net/rb/
then mount your cd and follow the steps in the install guide.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think your CD booted properly, but isolinux doesn't know what to do next. IIRC, there was a "slow, safe, stupid" mode isolinux could be put in to work around buggy BIOS implementations... check for a BIOS update.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: