Tip for nOObs (like me!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lisandro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Tip for nOObs (like me!) Reply with quote

Finally solved ALL my emerge problems. How? The moment i found a stable CFLAGS setting, i just did:

emerge -e world

Several hours later :) my system recompiled everything and voila! no more emerging problems, AT ALL. I found out a lot of packages are quite sensitive of optimizations and (specially) archtecture used. So, are you having problems with ORBit? qt? gtk? xfree? Try this first. God knows i've been there and tried EVERYTHING else ;).
Yeah, it's a pain in the ass, but it's only once, and the plus is that all works and some packages compiled at bootstrap get recompiled more optimally, which is good. My current CFLAGS is "-march=athlon -mmmx -m3dnow -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe".

On the other hand, thanks thanks thanks THANKS to everyone in these forums! One of the finest things about Gentoo is the incredible supportive the forum people are. I know, because i've seen how many times some people have patiently answered questions asked 20 times earlier. I know it's a grain of sand, but i felt like i had to give something back.

Last edited by Lisandro on Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tip for nOObs (like me!) Reply with quote

Lisandro wrote:
My current CFLAGS is "-march=athlon -mmmx -m3dnow -o2 -fomit-frame-pointers".

I hope you meant '-O2' and '-fomit-frame-pointer' 8O
Also why not '-pipe'?
Lisandro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go. My bad!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: