Gentoo killed my Notebook - update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Gentoo killed my Notebook - update Reply with quote

Ok i feel stupid now but it appears that the fuse blew in the power plug, apologies to gentoo i love you really :)

ok what do i do now.

I had done first stage bootstrap compile and was doing stage2 sys compile before setting time zone. Do i have to do 1st bootstrap compile again (9hrs) or can i just start 2nd stage sys compile?

what steps would i have to do to make sure everything works?

cheers
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo killed my Notebook - update Reply with quote

carpman wrote:
Ok i feel stupid now but it appears that the fuse blew in the power plug, apologies to gentoo i love you really :)

LOL! :lol:

carpman wrote:

ok what do i do now.

I had done first stage bootstrap compile and was doing stage2 sys compile before setting time zone. Do i have to do 1st bootstrap compile again (9hrs) or can i just start 2nd stage sys compile?

No you don't have bootstrap again. :-)
carpman wrote:

what steps would i have to do to make sure everything works?

If you got to setting the time zone, simply (all sections/steps quoted from installation instructions):

1) Reboot with the Gentoo linux CD.
2) Load your kernel/PCMCIA modules (Section 3 & 4)
3) Configure networking (Section 5)
4) Mount your partitions (Section 7). Note - in code listing 14, you'll get an error during mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot. Ignore the error and continue. You created the directory previously - hence the error.
5) Mount the CDROM (Section 8 )
6) You now need to mount /proc and chroot into your Gentoo environment. Do this like so:

Code:

mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile

7) Ensure new scripts installed in /etc overwrite old ones (this is required until installation is complete).

Code:

export CONFIG_PROTECT=""

....voila! ;-) You are now at Section 13. Final steps: timezone. If you already did the timezone, simply resume at Section 14 and build your kernel, etc.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for reply, well i did not get to timezone bit it was still doing sys compile before this stage, so i take i do all you said but do 'emerge system' again?
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman wrote:
thanks for reply, well i did not get to timezone bit it was still doing sys compile before this stage, so i take i do all you said but do 'emerge system' again?

Yes, do what I said then just resume at Section 12. Progressing from stage 2 to stage 3. Good luck. :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: