Yet another kernel thread..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Yet another kernel thread.. Reply with quote

Warning: Rant ahead

Ok, as most of you have noticed.. Gentoo-sources is kinda slow. Thats fine, its a decent default kernel. Good to start with. However, my games (especially using WineX) suffered with it. I moved over to Gaming-sources and was very impressed. Not just gaming improvments, but all around system responsivness was boosted.

Having posted a bit about Gaming-sources I saw a lot of people putting down the ck kernel (what gaming is based on) and saying how much better the WOLK kernel was. So, I was bored last night and decided what the hell. What the hell indeed. WOLK has been nothing but a pain in the ass from the start. Aside from it taking forever to get lm_sensors to actually work right, the entire desktop has slowed to a crawl. I start an emerge and then click Mozilla to bring it into focus and I'm waiting 20 seconds for it to refresh! With Gaming-sources compiling programs barely impacted the desktop at all. In fact when I was compiling Mozilla for 3 hours I forgot it was even going.

So my inital impression of WOLK isn't very good. I've compiled it like 4 times now testing out different options to see if it was my fault it was so bad. So far, its been slow no matter what. Oh, I also liked the fact that switching from X to a console, or even exiting X altogether, caused my system to completly lock up. Eventually I had to just take framebuffer support out of the kernel to avoid having to hit reset every time I needed to exit X.
</rant>

Having said that, anyone currently using WOLK and really liking it, let me know what you've done to make it not dog slow. I'll try some suggestions if you have any.. otherwise I'm happily going back to ck.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite kernel is mm-sources, which is Andrew Morton's patchset to the development sources; in terms of responsiveness it's probably better than any packaged kernel you can get your hands on. Now, if only LVM and a couple of other things worked with it...
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
My favorite kernel is mm-sources ... Now, if only LVM and a couple of other things worked with it...

Does that mean that LVM2 is still in no usable condition in the development kernels or is this a mm-kernel issue only? I planed to tryout the mm-kernel this weekend but after your comment I am not so sure anymore. My root fs (among others) is on LVM.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asimon wrote:
Carlos wrote:
My favorite kernel is mm-sources ... Now, if only LVM and a couple of other things worked with it...

Does that mean that LVM2 is still in no usable condition in the development kernels or is this a mm-kernel issue only? I planed to tryout the mm-kernel this weekend but after your comment I am not so sure anymore. My root fs (among others) is on LVM.
It might be PEBKAC; all I know is that I couldn't get LVM2 to work; I was able to create volumes and put data on them, but after a reboot they were in limbo; the lvm tool could see them but no corresponding entries in /dev.

This was back with 2.5.65-mm2, though; I'll try building a newer kernel, as well as carefully going through LVM setup again.

Edit: One other thing; LVM2 userland tools aren't in Portage; so I had to build them by hand; an ebuild would probably be elementary but I still haven't taught myself how to write one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: