xorg and gentoo/mips n32
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galahad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: xorg and gentoo/mips n32 Reply with quote

xorg does compile cleanly, but does not start with about 4000 relocation errors of the ELF loader.

Quote:

Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 0
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 5
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 7
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 24
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 192
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 20
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 116

and a lot of other numbers.

Does this have something to do with compiler flags or does the xorg loader simply not understand the n32 format?
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeek! Don't use n32!

It's really, really, REALLY, broken. As you've just discovered.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
spbecker
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: xorg and gentoo/mips n32 Reply with quote

Galahad wrote:
xorg does compile cleanly, but does not start with about 4000 relocation errors of the ELF loader.

Quote:

Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 0
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 5
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 7
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 24
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 192
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 20
Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 116

and a lot of other numbers.

Does this have something to do with compiler flags or does the xorg loader simply not understand the n32 format?

First of all, what machine is this? X support is *extremely* machine specific (at the moment, it is only possible to run it on an Indy with newport graphics, or an O2). Not only that, but if you are on an indy, there is a nasty bug with 64-bit 2.6.x kernels that causes allllll sorts of problems, and of course you need a 64-bit kernel to run n32 userland. And then you really can't get it going with a 2.4 kernel, because n32 support in 2.4 kernels is bitrotted and probably not useable.

Anyway, I can definitely say that the X server itself works fine on n32 userland, as I've done quite a lot of n32 testing. However, I strongly encourage you to format your drive and do a good old o32 install. As Redhatter said, n32 is very broken at the moment. There is a horrible bug whereby any multithreaded apps cause an immediate segfault and kernel oops, which pretty much dicks over installing anything related to X. You can't even build dev-libs/glib, because it runs a threaded test program during the configure script...and if you know anything about X, you know that a great majority of stuff that will run on X has glib as a dep somewhere along the way. This pretty much rules out installing anything that uses gtk or qt, which will probably make your X experience quite dull.
Galahad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I had gnome emerged already, all worked fine.

The machine is an Indigo2 Impact (IP28, the horribly broken one ;) ), using Peter Fuersts kernel patches to get fbdev, so I had planned to use X with the fbdev driver as long as nothing better is available.

Ok, so I have to do this all over again with o32 :( .

Well, I'm outfitting the I2 with better ventilation, so it's not so loud and maybe I'll be able to compile while being in the same room and not go crazy over time ;) .
spbecker
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galahad wrote:

The machine is an Indigo2 Impact (IP28, the horribly broken one ;) ), using Peter Fuersts kernel patches to get fbdev, so I had planned to use X with the fbdev driver as long as nothing better is available.

Ok, so I have to do this all over again with o32 :( .

Well, I'm outfitting the I2 with better ventilation, so it's not so loud and maybe I'll be able to compile while being in the same room and not go crazy over time ;) .

Ah, well you only hit the bug if you are using a kernel newer than 2.6.10, so if you ever upgrade your kernel, your machine will basically die a horrible death if you ever try to start X and run anything that is threaded. I have even noticed that some program (haven't tracked it down yet) called by "startx" triggers the bug. And as for I2 Impact, there is no X driver yet, so you are pretty much SOL unless you want to run xdm or some such and use XDMCP to log in from a remote X server.
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out...

Yes, I have an IP28, running n32 userland. With KDE 3.3.2. So far I've been incredibly lucky, but I still do strike problems.
Gnome would not compile at all for me, but since I'm a KDE user, I never bothered to track the cause down.

KDE 3.4.1 is extremely flakey, almost to the point of being unusable. KDE 3.3.2 however works fine, and in fact, rivals my Indy (running o32).

I don't have X running on my IP28 directly, but rather, I'm using a Pentium 166MHz machine as a Xterminal. Hence why I'm able to run KDE.

I haven't struck any threading problems yet -- as I'm using kernel 2.6.12-rc3. The threadding problems appeared in kernel 2.6.12 (stable), and continue in 2.6.13.

In all seriousness though, n32 is horribly broken in places. If you're lucky, yes, you can get it to work... and when it works, it can work very well. However, there are no guarantees, and in many cases, not even us developers know what the problem is, and so won't be able to assist you with sorting out problems. For that reason, we officially say we don't support n32. The stages are up largely for developers who wish to debug the problems with n32 (or in my case, wish to get a feel for n32). They aren't ready for general consumption.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
spbecker
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galahad wrote:

This might also be a good time (or bad time depending on your views) to tell you that gnome might be having some other serious issues that might be mips toolchain related. Recently, I can't compile any of gnome stuff newer than 2.10.0 without having a segfault near the end of the build (when the components try to register with gnome or whatever the hell they do), and this is o32. Not only that, but I have been solely responsible for maintaining mips KEYWORDS in gnome up until now. However, real life stuff combined with the modularization of X and some incompetence in the gnome herd (like dropping half of our keywords randomly) will probably eat up enough of my time that I will have to drop gnome support. Just a heads up...
Galahad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bad time, it was interesting enough just getting all this to work so far, and it did work quite well for me until that X debacle ;) .

But it's an indication that I should go back to irix for the time being.

EDIT: I have a small 4GB scsi hd spare, I think I'll try o32 on that one and install irix on the big HD, so I can keep track.
spbecker
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galahad wrote:
It's not a bad time, it was interesting enough just getting all this to work so far, and it did work quite well for me until that X debacle ;) .

But it's an indication that I should go back to irix for the time being.

EDIT: I have a small 4GB scsi hd spare, I think I'll try o32 on that one and install irix on the big HD, so I can keep track.

Well, it seems I was a little bit wrong before. Apparently Peter Fuert's patchset does allow X to run (really slowly) on ip28 Impact, however it also requires modification to the X source code as well. We don't provide this on gentoo by default, so you could conceivably get a custom X ebuild and patchset going in an overlay and then have X. I guess slow X is better than no X, however if you really want to use the machine as a desktop, you are much better staying with irix for now.
Galahad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like gentoo, and if it's experimental, I must have it ;) .

So I'll definitely keep trying.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: