Regards,
Damjan S. Vujnovic
paleksic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amne wrote:
paleksic wrote:
So @amne what do you suggest for a nice start?

First you all will need some patience as the utf-8 conversion is still not done yet. In the meanwhile you all can post to the Other Languages forum and i'd suggest you mark your posts with some language code - i have no idea what would be best, maybe [SC] for Serbian Croatian or something? Or is SC also another country's code?

First thanks for being interested about this @amne ! :wink:

Second, you heard the man. I suggest we spread the word about this.
Star mailing our friends and things like that, vpetreski you could
also announce this on elitesecurity.org so more people can read it.

Country Code can be whatever you want, my
opinion would be something like [YU], because that is a code we all
used more or less in the past.

I am not very familiar with charset codes. Here I use iso-8859-2 for Latin
and iso-8859-5 for Cyrillic ... anyway utf-8 would be just great, but as you
allready seen both works at the moment.
cp_tar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Croatian and the Serbian standards are very much the same; grammatically speaking, it's the same language (the structuralist view, at least) - therefore there should be no problem with our understanding each other. The only differences are lexical, and those can be overcome easily.

The problem, however, arises when you try to name the forum: which name to place first - Croatian or Serbian? There will always be someone who will mind whatever arrangement is made.

Ex-Yu is kind of nice, although the Slovenian forum is already active IIRC...
I suggest the [YU] code in our topics (BTW please open the Hungarian forum, Other Languages are swarmed with Hungarian posts) since all of us and everyone new here would recognize it on sight - [SC] would mean nothing to most Croatian people, and topic titles like "X.org problem" are linguistically neutral, so a clear mark is essential.
I do not care about political arguments and neither should anyone else - this is a technical, not a political forum and I'd like it to stay that way.
As long as we can communicate, it's fine by me.

BTW Serbian Latin isn't working completely for me: © and ® are just straight lines like underscores, only in the upper part (overscores?) - I use ISO-8859-2 and will not settle for Windows-1250 or somesuch half-assed standard.
If anyone wants a translation to or from English (or any other translation I'm capable of), I'll be happy to help if I have the time... first of all, KDE can't speak English and votes Yea, just as I do, so please count this as two votes.

Va¾niji dijelovi na hrvatskom - za one koji ne prièaju tuðinski ;):
Ako netko treba prijevod s engleskog ili na engleski, ili prijevod s kojeg drugog jezika, rado æu pomoæi ako je u mojoj moæi.
Molit æu, ipak, da se kod duljih tekstova ogranièite na latinicu, jerbo æirilicu èitam ne¹to sporije... 15 godina nedostatka prakse èini to ljudima.

Predla¾em kori¹tenje oznake [YU] u naslovima tema jer æemo tako i mi i svi drugi koji eventualno navrate odmah prepoznati oznaku; da sam prvi put ovdje, [SC] mi ne bi znaèilo apsolutno ni¹ta, a naslov ne mora uvijek otkrivati jezik: "X.org problem" je, recimo, manje-vi¹e jezièno neutralan naslov.
Kome se pak ne sviða iz ovih ili onih politièkih razloga, neka naðe nekoga koga je briga; ovo je raèunalni, a ne politièki forum i jedino je bitno da se razumijemo.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the charsets is that it sometimes works (mostly thanks to your browser), but sometimes not. That's why we need to convert the forums to utf-8. Posts in wrong charsets (e.g. cyrillic letters in a iso-8859-1 post, even if the browser displays it correctly) are a big problem and will cause big problems with the conversion. That's why we want to wait with the new forums until the switch to utf-8 will be done.
Sorry i can't be more specific, but i'm not really the one working on the conversion, i just know it is necessary. ;)
playahater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladab wrote:
You can call it and ex-yu forum, and avoid politics. :O)

Excellent idea .. :lol:
vpetreski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK!

So, we can now post in Other languages forum with [YU] prefix in the subject.

After the UTF8 conversion is done, all messages with [YU] prefix will be moved to the new EX-YU (or something like that) forum.

Admins, is that all right?

Btw, do you have some info when the conversion will be done (approximately)?

Vanja
Burgos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, in meantime, we can use forums without Serbian (Croatian) characters.

We have used to it - on ExYu forums it is not breaking of rules if you replace Č with C, Š with S, etc.

Remember computers with Western coding only?

What do you say?
vpetreski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that.
vpetreski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe better: because we CAN talk without UTF8 without problems, as Burgos said, we can make right now EX-YU forum, and later, after conversion, we could start using our special characters (if we want to).

What do you say?
f3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all said we don't care about politics, true or not?
Vanja call people from one croatian forum to join and I all ready see somebody are not happy with name Serbian or Serbo-Croatian or even ex-yu, they ask way is't Croatian-Serbian, and wont apology from him, because is called serbian?
We have the one country (YU), did't work out, same will be with this forum, probably.
Here at South-Eastern Europe is't the same as in the Scandinavia, there is a big difference, yes the language's are quite the same, but I do not won't to start about how those languages are made and other stuff that are still not clear on this part of Europe, because this is't place for that.
I think that ex-yu, or any other name that try to united as in one not, good you whil probably see that if you go with YU name, because they will be always someone who don't approve YU and incidens can happen any time.
I'm for the freedom of choice and right to speak my language, not some politically made languages that don't exist, admin's of this forum should made a separate forum for evry language of peple that are interested in wanted number. Greeks have they, Italians they and so on and on, than I see no reason why Serbians don't have the Serbian. Here are also couple people from Croatia that agre's with ex-yu name, so you should give them opportunity to made Croatian @ International Gentoo Users, if they are interested, for Serbs leave it Serbian.
On this way everybody happy, and users(Serbs and Croats) will any way always take a peek in they nabers forums to see is there something interested.
vpetreski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Croatians don't want common forum and if they are not happy, they can always start new thread and suggestion for their own.

Serbs will be happy with either Serbian or EX-YU forum and I don't care about politics if Croatians does.

We just want our forum to spread Gentoo philosophy and knowledge.

V
f3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ vpetreski
Maybe not all will be, it's better for everybody to be Serbian forum, and if Croatians or any other nations from ex-yu or world wont they own forums, they can made it freely. (afcourse if its under conditions who this forum require).
No metther how we hate politics mess with linux movement, some time can't be ignored.
Dush4n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more vote for Serbian (not ex-yu) forum! :)

Ako Hrvati hoce svoj forum neka sami skupljaju ljude. Ako bi se zvao Ex-Yu ili nesto slicno ja sam siguran da nijednog Hrvata necete videti na tom forumu tako da ga ne nazivati srpski je totalno besmisleno. I ovim ne zelim nikakav flame vec samo da ukazem na realnost.
u_m
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slazem se!

Serbian - name for forum

[SC] - add to serbian topics for now

if some from croatia ask for ther forum than or change name to Serbian-Croatian ([SC] work again) or make Croatian forum....

That is all from me about this, now let make some [SC] posts

(sorry for mistakes in post, my english is bad)
paleksic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh you are so, so.. deep in Middle Ages, prehistoric i would
say..Nevermind lets make some [SR] subjects and see what happens. :roll:

vpetreski wrote:
We just want our forum to spread Gentoo philosophy and knowledge.

Correct! We should all focus on that one! :wink:
vpetreski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with paleksic, while we are waiting for admins reply about Serbian subforum, we could make some posts with [SR] prefix in Other languages forum.
vpetreski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evo i nase prve poruke: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-374806.html
maddox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all good people on this forum.

I read Vanja's post on www.linuxserbia.com, and then disided to come here. I would like to learn something about Gentoo philosophy ( and of course, start using Gentoo ) becouse I read that Gentoo is very fast Linux OS. So you have my voice too.

I can see that there is problem about name of sub-forum. Name it whatever you want. It is important that pople from Balkan can come here to ask for help.

P.S. Sorry about my English :(
vpetreski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U OVOJ temi mozete da pratite sta se desava, odnosno koje poruke imamo za sada.

Ne znam sto nas ovoliko dugo kuliraju? Nije valjda okrugli sto zbog Srba? :D

lvuletic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another vote for Serbian forum. As it comes to the encoding, personally I do not care. I do not use 'our' letteres, not even on usenet or in emails so it all same to me.

Dakle, da krenemo :)
cp_tar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, basically, despite a few Croats voting for the Ex-Yu forum as well, you've changed your mind and went back to Serbian-only?

Fair enough... so much about tolerance and cooperation.
I'd thought at least here nationality wouldn't be much of a problem... I regret to admit I was wrong.

Seems to me I'll sooner post to a Hungarian forum[1] than either a Croatian or a Serbian one.
Some of you people just make me sick.

[1] My grasp of Hungarian is currently best described as pretty limited.
f3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ cp_tar
Unfortunately much larger number of Croats don't agree with ex-yu name, and as I say.

''Here are also couple people from Croatia that agre's with ex-yu name, so you should give them opportunity to made Croatian @ International Gentoo Users, if they are interested, for Serbs leave it Serbian.
On this way everybody happy, and users(Serbs and Croats) will any way always take a peek in they nabers forums to see is there something interested.''

And if you have some question about Gentoo I see no reason why don't write some posts with [SR] prefix.
paleksic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f3 wrote:
@ cp_tar
Unfortunately much larger number of Croats don't agree with ex-yu name, and as I say.

''Here are also couple people from Croatia that agre's with ex-yu name, so you should give them opportunity to made Croatian @ International Gentoo Users, if they are interested, for Serbs leave it Serbian.
On this way everybody happy, and users(Serbs and Croats) will any way always take a peek in they nabers forums to see is there something interested.''

And if you have some question about Gentoo I see no reason why don't write some posts with [SR] prefix.

You're funny little man. Let me put it this way. If you don't make it multinational -I'm out.

@cp_tar please bring more votes if you can and /msg Vanja for more details. There is no politics about changing name to [SR] it simply happened because your comrades wasn't interested and trust me news about this was all around.
cp_tar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeating what I've written at forum.hr and then some, it would be a terrible waste of both resource and time if we applied for two forums using the sae language system - no-one in their right mind can say that Croatian and Serbian aren't compatible or at least inter-operable ;)
Croats would also check the Serbian forum, the Srebs would probably aso check the Croatian one... and why? We have separate countries, like the Scandinavians, and our languages are actually more alike, yet they can have their joint forum, and we cannot?

Whoever cares to bring politics into a technical forum is unwelcome in advance: if you care about the nationality of the person giving you a solution to your problem, and will not accept the right answer from a "wrong" person, you're wasting everyone's time.

There are idiots everywhere; I can, however, copy-paste the votes of a few people that Yea-d the Ex-Yu forum, but apparently weren't to be bothered by actually coming here and saying it, either because of lazines or misunderstanding. And when a moron came screaming "you idiots, never ever anything with the [untranslatable trying-to-be-rude name for Serbs here] again", he was dismissed as such.

Please, do not mistake legitimate queries about the name with nationalist BS; neither side is immune to it, and it only hampers our communication. As I'd said, separate forums are a waste of time and space; a combined name will always have one side asking why the other one's name is first (I'd have Croatian first because it would be closer to the top of the page, for instance - I'm Slovenian and could fail to care less about the political BS), and YU is an acronym known to all of us. Besides, the language barrier of other Ex-Yu languages is usually not so high; why couldn't - at least in the beginning - Slovenians and Macedonians be welcome to the forum?

Too many people are acting too immaturely; I say sod them and gather the $REQUIRED_VOTES_COUNT without them; they will come over eventually.

I just hope we won't need six moderators, one for each ex-republic ;)
z10n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: voting only! Reply with quote

Serbian language on forums.gentoo.org is excellent idea, finger up for Vanja, count my post like another vote for serbian subforum! Now in Serbia, we have one Gentoo portal where we try to close and share Gentoo philosophy and knowledge, but have subforum here on official gentoo forums-place it's something more and i second that! I avoid comments about SR and CRO relationships cause, honestly, i have no any word to say about that, sorry... Lastly, SR or SER prefix is ok!

Best Regards, z10n
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: