Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olavi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards! Reply with quote

I'd like to collect some s939 pci-e motherboard compatibility information. I hope you contribute! :) Edit: Now we have some information about nForce4 based boards, how about K8T890?

1. What kernel version do you have?

2. What kind of motherboard do you have and what chip (K8T890, nForce4...) does it have?

3. What kind of SATA/RAID chip(s) does it have? What kind of driver do you use and does it work?

4. What kind of ethernet chip does it have? What kind of driver do you use (name, propiertary/free) and does it work?

5. What kind of audio chip does it have? What kind of driver do you use and does it work? (in/out? 5.1? s/pdif?)

6. What kind of wifi chip does it have? What kind of driver do you use and does it work?

7. Do pci-e, usb, firewire and gameport work? Any tweaks needed?

8. Do cool n' quiet, power management and acpi work? Any tweaks needed?

9. Are there general problems with the motherboard? Any additions (like required kernel parameters)?

I'll try to collect the information here.

General information

We already know from technotes that the following SATA RAID (fake or not) chips work: VIA VT8237; Promise PDC202xx/PDC203xx; SI 3112[a],3512; Promise SX4000 (PDC20621) [hardware], 3ware Escalade 7xxx and 8xxx [hardware].

Corona688 says SI 3114 doesn't work with kernels higher than 2.6.5, but jmbsvicetto has used it with 2.6.11-r6 (gentoo-sources).

At least nForce4 based boards usually need -noapic boot parameter.

It seems Realtek AC'97 sound works, at least stereo. jmbsvicetto: "I'm using the stereo output because I haven't been able to use SPDIF with Gentoo. I have it working with Windows, but it seems that SPDIF is stereo only! I've tried the nforce-audio driver, but can't report yet."

PCI-E, USB and Cool n' Quiet usually work just fine with all motherboards.

Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI (nForce4)
- nForce NIC is not that stable, Marvell works fine
- "Like the ASUS, the NICs would sometimes go out on me for awhile, and be unusable."
- nForce IDE/SATA controllers work
- onboard sound works
Thanks to paulisdead.

Asus A8N-SLI (nForce4)
(quotes by paulisdead)
- "odds are about 50/50 of getting a good one from what I've seen selling them"
- "issues may have been corrected in more recent bios" (speculation)
- "Everything should work, however myself and others have experienced problems where BOTH onboard NICs would stop working for days at a time"
- loud northbridge fan (can be replaced with a cheap Zalman passive heatsink and void the warranty)
- both NICs work (nForce, Marvell Yukon)
- onboard sound works
- jmbsvicetto: "I had a few problems with the 1002 firmware. I tried both the 1006 and 1007 firmware releases and both made the system highly unstable. Windows would refuse to boot and Linux suffered. I finally ended with the 1004 firmware release."
Thanks to paulisdead, el_Salmon and jmbsvicetto.

DFI UT SLI (nForce4)
- nForce NIC is not that stable, Marvell works fine with sk98lin
- onboard sound works
Thanks to paulisdead.

MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI (nForce4)
- nForce NIC unstable, Marvell works only with syskonnect's patch for the sk98lin driver
- onboard SB Live! 24bit didn't work when paulisdead tried, but might work with a recent kernel
Thanks to paulisdead.

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (nForce4)
- nForce and Marvell NICs, at least nForce works with forcedeth driver
- USB works (EHCI/OHCI support selected in the kernel)
Thanks to Wedge_.

MSI K8 Triton (K8N Ultra-SLI) (nForce4)
- nForce and Marvell NICs, at least nForce works with forcedeth driver
- PowerNow! with ondemand governor works after upgrading to BIOS "F2" and applying patch http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4392 (Athlon 64 Venice issue)
- no kernel parameters required
Thanks to Steffen.

MSI RS480M2 (MicroATX, Radeon Express)
- noapic needed
- ALSA snd_atiixp driver works for sound (not tested extensively)
- graphics card driver exists, status of the driver unknown
- "Don't get one."
- "With VESA drivers, the machine crashes switching x-sessions or to console."
Thanks to Koradji.

Shuttle FN25 (barebone, nForce4)
- nVidia SATA works
- nForce NIC works
- VIA Vinyl Envy25PT sound works after patching the kernel (2.6.11-gentoo-r7, http://www.nakack.net/files/sn25p.patch) using the ice-1724 driver. "I cannot use esd with it yet, which sucks as I can't have any mixing at all"
- "I haven't been able to check extensively cool n' quiet and power management (I don't think they are working) but ACPI works without a tweak. POWER works for sure, FAN I am not sure, and I think CPU throttling might work (I have cpudyn managing frequency scaling perfectly). CPU temperature stays at around 40C, and I couldn't get i2c to work yet. I am waiting for release 2.9.1 of lm_sensors and i2c that promise to recognize nForce 4 boards and use the i2c-nforce2 SMBus driver."
Thanks to movrev.

Last edited by olavi on Sun May 22, 2005 8:51 am; edited 5 times in total
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards! Reply with quote

olavi wrote:
We already know from technotes that the following SATA RAID (fake or not) chips work: VIA VT8237; Promise PDC202xx/PDC203xx; SI 3112[a],3512,3114
I'd beg to differ about the sii3114. I'd been stuck at kernel 2.6.4 for ages because anything higher would cause block errors with my onboard sii3114 leading to complete system halt; it took a custom kernel patch to let me use 2.6.5, which luckily was enough for me to use NPTL. Once I got my 3ware 8000-series 4-port SATA RAID, upgrading to 2.6.11 was uneventful.
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say first I work in a computer store, so I can always play with shit for a couple days, or return exchange things no matter how long I've had it, I'm not rich enough to afford all these different boards. All the following setups were running a 3200, overclocked as much as the boards would let me or till I hit the limit of around 2.5-2.6ghz of the chip, 1GB of OCZ rev2 memory, and either a 200GB Western Digital SATA drive, or a 200GB Seagate 7200.8RPM Sata drive, and 2 6800GTs (though SLI is useless in Linux still). I of course got the system going and made sure they were stable before messing with overclocking. I really never had any problems with any of the boards invlolving the nforce sata/ide ports. I think it was 2.6.9 vanill and gentoo kernels I ran on the gigabyte and asus. I've run everything since 2.6.9 through 2.6.11 vanilla and gentoo on the MSI neo4 sli, and i only tried the 2.6.11-rc6 gentoo kernel on the DFI. All the board's I had, had the same chipset and add on components unless otherwise stated, which would be nforce4 with alc850chips that use the i8x0 driver. Cool n Quiet worked on all of them. I just used the same install of gentoo on all these so I didn't necessarily use a livecd, but generally you need noapic when you boot from the livecds on these boards iirc.

Alright, here we go

Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI

I had no problems with linux on it, though I didn't use the firewire or silicon image controller. The nforce NIC wasn't that stable, but the marvell worked fine. The nforce IDE/SATA controllers worked well. It overclocked alright, though I can't remember to what exactly I overclocked it to, I know it didn't perform as well as the MSI Neo4 SLI or the previous gigabyte agp mobos I had ran. This board, and some other gigabyte mobos have the RAM timings and some other features hidden in the BIOS. If you press ctrl-F1 in the bios main menu, a new menu will pop up, and you can manually adjust ram timings and some other things. Pressing ctrl-f1 also makes the nv/ati speedup option appear in the Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker menu, and then you can overclock your video card(s). I know this feature's present on other nforce4 boards from gigabyte. Like the ASUS, the NICs would sometimes go out on me for awhile, and be unusable.

Asus A8N-SLI

This was my most hated nforce4 mobo. I know some people are probably going to say they have it working fine right now, but odds are about 50/50 of getting a good one from what I've seen selling them and on forums. We actually dropped all of these boards from the store I work in since we got tired of supporting them. Everything should work, like on the gigabyte, however myself and others have experienced problems where BOTH onboard NICs would stop working for days at a time. Also the northbridge fan was far louder than anything else in my box, and that's with 2x 6800gts and an 80mm 4000RPM fan on my CPU, and a noisy server class a+gpb power supply. The board's would also take about 20 tries just to get them to POST sometimes, and that behavoir could crop up randomly. I was unable to get the board to work above 230 CPU bus, and even at that point it was highly unstable. These issues may have been corrected in more recent bios, but I still won't ever touch or sell one again.

DFI UT SLI

I played around with this guy for a couple days, and let me say first that I did have a faulty board, so that kind of skews my experience with this one. The nforce NIC would stall out sometimes, and the marvell NIC would cause the system to run slower than a geriatric grandma I pushed down the stairs, as soon as the sk98lin driver loaded. The newer skge driver wouldn't give me an eth0 with it, and using the patches from syskonnect, I had the same problem as the kernel's sk98lin driver. The board has an insane amount of RAM options on it, so you really need to understand more than just the 5 core timings on memory if you want to overclock this board. After a lot of tweaking I got it stable finally and had it compiling for hours. The next day I started getting lots of segfaults in compiles, and I was unable to use either NIC, so I sent it back and went back to the Neo4 SLI. I later tested another one of these mobos at my work with a gentoo livecd, and the sk98lin driver didn't bog down the system like it did with the one I played around with at home. No other issues with hardware setup than what I mentioned. Overclocking is the best of the four I had, however I noticed that because the CPU socket is fairly close to the PCI-E slots on the board, the proc actually ran hotter in this mobo.

MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI

Alright, this is the one I'm still on after a couple months, and has been my favorite all around. It overclocks very well, I run my cpu at 2517 and the RAM at 530DDR 2.5-3-3-10 on this board, it's second only to the DFI in overclockability. It's been rock solid stable for me too. The nforce NIC has acted pretty flaky and unsteady, though. The Marvell NIC I could only get going with using syskonnect's patch on the kernel for the sk98lin driver. This is probably due to the Marvell Gigabit NIC and Silicon Image controllers being on the PCI Express bus instead of the PCI bus like most other mobos, so you can get better performance overall with those devices on this board. This does mean, however, that you have no 1x or 4x PCI-E slots on the Neo4 SLI, since those devices must be using those lanes I would assume. But the with syskonnect's patch, the marvell works awesome. This was the only board I was not able to get the onboard sound working with (using an audigy anyways though) since the onboard sound is a soundblaster live 24bit, and when I first got that board the ca0106 driver (iirc that's the name) was pretty shitty and wouldn't detect it at all. More recent kernels might've corrected this though, if someone really needs to know if the onboard works with current kernels I guess I could try it. This board has the NV/ATI speedup option for overclocking your video card like the gigabyte does, and like the gigabyte, it's a hidden feature. If you go into the Cell Menu and press shift-f2 and alt-f3, the options should pop up. It's a tricky key combo, so it might take you a few tries.
Koradji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me first say, thanks paulisdead for the reviews :)

~~~~~~~~~~~

MSI RS480M2
Don't get one.

Possibly also true of the RX480M2 (no onboard graphics.)
ATI advertise support for their Radeon Express chipset, but i can't find any drivers. Probably there isn't any. ATI avoid answering questions about it. ATI apparently do not provide ANY linux support for the chipset.

Linux:
There's issues with the clock running double-speed, setting noapic at boot fixes them, but maybe if the chipset had support that wouldn't be needed.
There are no drivers for the graphics card. CVS snapshots of xorg recognise the card with the radeon driver, but it doesn't work. With VESA drivers, the machine crashes switching x-sessions or to console. It also can't do 1280x1024 for me.
The ALSA snd_atiixp driver seems to work for sound, but i have not yet tested extensively.

Everyone:
Many people have a problem that the board often won't post. Especially after reboots rather than shutdowns. I need to unplug power for 10 seconds or so before i turn it on, others have it worse.
There are no basically memory setting options, and what there is seems buggy. You can't affect timings or voltages if you're having memory stability issues, which seems common. The ram slots are also very close together, with dual channel adjacent, so having heat spreaders means basically no airflow between them, however the memory problems seem to crop up regardless of overheating.
There are strange slow down problems, with load hitting the roof. No-one knows why, but someone associated it with HDD activity for them.
It didn't boot with older normal PCI graphics cards.

I'm in the middle of setting up a 6600GT on it now. Someone said that helped them. At least it will get me out of having to use the pathetic unstable onboard thing.

I haven't tried SATA. It's disabled in bios. The board comes with a SIL3112 XP driver floppy.

I'm using the ati-ixp ide in kernel. I'm not sure whether that's the right thing to do. because there's no info.

I can't sensibly return the board for replacement yet.
It's faulty, but there's such a good chance that any board i replace it with will be faulty too, (Well, WILL be faulty, because it won't have the advertised linux support. But faulty other than that, i mean.) So it's not worth the postage until a different micro-ATX socket 939 board is available in Australia.

~
bash-2.05b# lspci
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5950
0000:00:02.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5a34
0000:00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4374
0000:00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4375
0000:00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4373
0000:00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc ATI SMBus (rev 04)
0000:00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller ATI
0000:00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4377
0000:00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4371
0000:00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4370
0000:00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
0000:00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
0000:00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
0000:00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 GT] (rev a2)
0000:02:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
0000:02:04.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80)

bash-2.05b# emerge info
Portage 2.0.51.22-r1 (default-linux/amd64/2005.0, gcc-3.4.3-20050110, glibc-2.3.5-r0, 2.6.11-gentoo-r9 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-gentoo-r9 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16

EDIT: (about half an hour fter the post)
I was wrong (no surprise there)
ATI now have a video driver on their site!
Not in portage yet. Dunno if it works, and don't care all that much. The board still isn't worth buying, and i just spent ~$300 AU on an nvidia video card to get an ~$180 AU ATI motherboard that was supposed to have video usable. For all i know, it still crashes the machine when changing X sessions. Maybe if someone gave me two more monitors i'd be inclined to think about trying it.
el_Salmon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asus a8n-sli deluxe

1. gentoo-sources (stable version)
2. Nvidia Nforce4
3. Dual SATA controller: Nvidia Nforce4 and Silicon Image 3114. I use the first one.
4. Dual Ethernet Gigabit controller: Nvidia Nforce and Marvell Yukon. I use the second one.
5. Realtek AC'97 audio. Not hardware mixing. I use stereo output simply.
6. No wi-fi
7. Dual PCI-Express (SLI) with nvidia graphic card. Kernel needs hotplug support to run nvidia driver. USB 2.0 works fine with ehci-usb driver
8. Cool'n'quiet works fine with "on-demand" governor.
9. My PC has been working fine in Gentoo & WinXP for two months, but 2 freezes very strange. Maybe, a hard disk bug or very hot temperatures in my country (Spain).

Problem with chipset Fan noise can solved very easily. You can replace chipset fan with Zalman Chipset heatsink inexpensive: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?threadid=17356286
olavi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your contributions, keep 'em coming! :)
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. latest gentoo-sources, other 2.6.11 based patchsets also work (eg morph-sources).
2. MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, nForce4 Ultra chipset (no SLI)
3. nForce chipset has it's own SATA controller, plus a Silicon Image 3114. Using the nVidia controller at the moment (no RAID), with the standard driver in the kernel. Works perfectly.
4. 2x Gigabit Ethernet, 1 NIC from the nForce chipset, the other is some kind of Marvell chipset IIRC. Currently only using the nForce NIC, with the reverse engineered forcedeth driver in the kernel. Seems to be fine so far. Haven't tried the other one yet.
5. RealTek ALC850, not using it at all (have a Santa Cruz PCI card instead, the driver for it supports HW mixing).
6. No wireless.
7. PCI-e ATI graphics card is working fine. USB is also working with EHCI/OHCI support selected in the kernel. Haven't tried firewire. No special tweaks.
8. All works, no tweaking.
9. No problems so far.
movrev
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuttle FN25 (comes with SN25P barebone) - Updated: October 27th, 2005

- 2.6.12-gentoo-r10
- Small form factor motherboard with nVidia nForce4 chip (CK804).
- nVidia - Four SATA 2 headers w/Raid (0, 1, JBOD) - through libata (sata_nv). SATA works like a charm. I don't have RAID installed right now, but it works in windows (using updated driver from Shuttle's website) and is available for config thru dmraid, but I didn't play with it too much.
- nVidia integrated Gigabit LAN. Accesed without a glitch through forcedeth driver.
- VIA Vynil Envy24PT - 7.1 - 24bit - SPDIF I/O, Coaxial, Front, Center, Surround, Surr-Back, Line-In, Mic, Headphone. Sound works perfectly (lamentably, w/o hardware accel) using the ice-1724 driver compiled into the kernel. After an upgrade, esd started working, giving me some software mixing (e.g: If I listen to music, I can hear sounds from gaim).
- No onboard wifi - can be bought separatelly from Shuttle.
- PCI-E works perfectly (using latest nVidia propietary drivers on GeForce 6800 - Doom 3 plays so good). All USB ports work fine generally, but sometimes refuse to connect my pen-drive for some reason (may be a driver issue, including not turning off the light when the pen-drive is unmounted). I haven't tried the 8-in-1 media card reader, nor the firewire ports. There is no game port, but it comes with a serial port and a CMOS reset button.
- Power management (cool 'n quiet) works perfectly (using cpudyn) and ACPI works without a tweak. CPU temperature stays at around 45C, and i2c is working more or less well using version 2.9.1 of lm_sensors with it87, lm85, and i2c-nforce2.
- The only problems I've had were with a SATA optical drive (PX-716SA), but that has to do with the SATA architecture and the drivers, not at all with the motherboard. The IDE version of this drive (PX-716A) is working perfectly. I haven't used any extra kernel parameters (other than the splashutils ones) so far.

Last edited by movrev on Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Steffen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r9 + PowerNow! patch (see below)
  2. Gigabyte K8 Triton (K8N Ultra-SLI), nForce 4 SLI
  3. nForce Chip (works using one SATA drive) & Silicon Image sil 3114 controller (not tested)
  4. nForce Ethernet chip using forcedeth driver & Marvell 8053 Gigabit Ethernet controller (not tested)
  5. Realtek ALC850 Audio AC'97 Codec (not tested, using SB Audigy 2)
  6. No WiFi-Chip
  7. Using a GeForce 5900 PCIe, but have not yet tested nVidia binary drivers, USB works, have no FireWire device to test
  8. PowerNow! with ondemand governor works after upgrading to BIOS "F2" (I think that´s because before the BIOS did not recognize the Athlon 64 Venice) and applying this patch!
  9. No kernel parameters required. I have not yet noted any problems, it seems to work fine. :)

Maybe in the following days I´ll try to see whether some of the yet untested things work.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asus a8n-sli deluxe

1. gentoo-sources (~amd64) Currently 2.6.11-r6
2. Nvidia Nforce4
3. Dual SATA controller: Nvidia Nforce4 and Silicon Image 3114. I'm using the first, but have used the second also.
4. Dual Ethernet Gigabit controller: Nvidia Nforce and Marvell Yukon. I use the second one - skge.
5. Realtek AC'97 audio. I'm using the stereo output because I haven't been able to use SPDIF with Gentoo. I have it working with Windows, but it seems that SPDIF is stereo only! :x I've tried the nforce-audio driver, but can't report yet.
6. No wi-fi
7. Dual PCI-Express (SLI) with XFX 6600GT graphic card.
8. Haven't tried
9. I had a few problems with the 1002 firmware. I tried both the 1006 and 1007 firmware releases and both made the system highly unstable. Windows would refuse to boot and Linux suffered. I finally ended with the 1004 firmware release.

For those interested, I have lmsensors working with this board. I'm using the it8712-isa-0290 chip.
AngelKnight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Asus A8V-E Deluxe Reply with quote

1. Kernel: Success with vanilla-kernel 2.6.9 through 2.6.12 (currently 2.6.12-rc5)

2. Board: Asus A8V-E

3. SATA: VIA 8237R Southbridge SATA (RAID capable)
- RAID not in use; SATA locked into IDE-only via BIOS settings
- Linux SATA VIA driver (libata) functions without incident, LBA48-support works

4. Ethernet: Marvel Yukon
* It's the kind that *DOESN'T* work with the vanilla kernel sk98lin driver. Gentoo-sources provides a functional driver though.

5. Audio: Realtek ALC850/AC'97
- Nothing fancy but it works. Using it analog only. Unfortunately, system noise creeps into the PCM lines :( Noticeable when the chip is idle but unmuted.

6. Wireless: Built-in 802.11g adapter; make and model unknown

7. PCI-E: Asus-built Radeon X800XT installed. Works without issue.
7. Firewire: TI driver. Not in use. Gameport: Disabled via BIOS

8. Cool'N'Quiet: Not in use.
8. ACPI: Functions normally. CPU thermistor registers as an ACPI THRM device
9. Power Management: Standby and Suspend-To-RAM not in use. Soft powerdown functions without incident.

Information:
- 2GB Crucial PC3200 installed, 2 DIMMs in dual-controller mode
- Also installed: Intel Pro1000/MT 1Gbps ethernet; Promise SATA150TX4

Abnormalities:
- Previous to 2.6.12-RC5, random and difficult-to-trace incidents involving apparent memory, VM or process table corruption. System interrupts would still work, but a Sys-Rq:Programcounter would show the kernel stuck in VM handling routines in-kernel, on behalf of a process ID not in use by any process (as per Sys-Rq:Tasklist). No incidents since upgrading from 2.6.11 to 2.6.12-RC5.
jsnorman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Reply with quote

Asus a8n-sli deluxe

1. gentoo-sources 2.6.11-gentoo-r9
2. Nvidia Nforce4
3. Dual SATA controller: Nvidia Nforce4 and Silicon Image 3114. I do not use Si 3114 (yet) but have that configured for external SATA ports in case I ever want to use them. The Asus comes with an external SATA slot mounted board including power, so I do have the modules compiled for this. I have the Nforce4 SATA ports running 2 drives right now, using software raid (fakeraid) for RAID 1. NOTE IMPORTANT NOTE!!!! You MUST use fakeraid, and DISABLE the BIOS RAID. BIOS RAID on the Nvidia is SOFTWARE RAID and WILL NOT WORK the linux. Fakeraid (using md) is excellent and works as well or better than the BIOS RAID anyway.
4. 3ware 9500S-4LP SATA RAID controller (hardware raid) running 3 SATA drives in RAID 5 for data. This is an excellent controller, and there are kernel drivers for it. DOES NOT use md / fakeraid but instead, kernel recognizes the RAID array as a single drive (as it should). Extremely happy with this, great linux support across all 3ware controllers.
5. Dual Ethernet Gigabit controller: Nvidia Nforce and Marvell Yukon. My Nvidia Nforce controller died after 6 months. I never tried the Marvel Yukon, instead I opted to purchase a dedicated PCI based gigabit board based on the VIA chipset (tornado?). Works like a charm.
6. Realtek AC'97 audio. Not hardware mixing. 4 speakers. Works great.
7. No wi-fi
8. Single PCI-Express (SLI) with nvidia graphic card 6600GT. Kernel needs hotplug support to run nvidia driver. USB 2.0 works fine with ehci-usb driver. I am using ALL my USB ports provided on the Asus.
9. Cool'n'quiet works fine with "on-demand" governor, extremely quiet.
10. As with many others, my northbridge fan became extremely noisy and then died altogether. I replaced it with a Zallman northbridge coooler/fan with a thermostat control. Pretty easy to do, but space is very tight in there and it takes some careful work.

All in all, very happy with Gentoo and my system. Very unhappy with the quality control issues (dead northbridge fan, dead ethernet) but for $50 or so these were fixable problems.

Jeff
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaintech VNF4 Ultra

1. Linux titan 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 #6 Mon May 2 05:07:52 CEST 2005 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

2. NForce4 Ultra

3. NForce4 Ultra integrated SATA2 controler (4 x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 attached, no raid), driver is basic kernel SCSI support
Code:
 │ Symbol: SCSI_SATA_NV [=y]                                                                                                         │
  │ Prompt: NVIDIA SATA support
Works fine. (No additional kernel boot parameters needed except for liveCD where -noapic is must have).

4. NForce4 Ultra integrated gigabit NIC, reverse engeenered driver from kernel (free), works just fine on my 100Mbps network (didn't have opportunity to try it @1Gbps)
Two additional D-Link DFE-530TX 100Mbps NICs.

5. Sound disabled in BIOS, don't know anything about sound, computer is a server.

6. No wifi.

7. Radeon X300SE (just pure console on it). Didn't try any of other stuff.

8. C'n'Q works great. Hacked powernow-k8.c to give CPU even lower voltages, but that was not necessery. Fancontrol works, too. (Can control two of tree fans).

9. Since this is a reather old version of mobo, it has passive chipset cooler which gets very hot during normal system operation. I've asked on many forums (even Chaintech represented forum) and got ansfer that it's OK if don't go for extreme overclocking. Since I run server at stock frequencies, I've just put 12cm fan on the back of case and forgot about that.
Very cheap mobo with great performance and (for now) stability.
Code:
titan linux # uname -a
Linux titan 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 #6 Mon May 2 05:07:52 CEST 2005 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

titan linux # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 31
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1005.172
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 pni syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow lahf_lm
bogomips        : 1993.38
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp

titan linux # cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      1026932 kB
MemFree:         10080 kB
Buffers:         52368 kB
Cached:         718748 kB
SwapCached:       1720 kB
Active:         188636 kB
Inactive:       722628 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:      1026932 kB
LowFree:         10080 kB
SwapTotal:     1959768 kB
SwapFree:      1940192 kB
Dirty:              36 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:         151716 kB
Slab:            61020 kB
CommitLimit:   2473232 kB
Committed_AS:   645532 kB
PageTables:       5072 kB
VmallocTotal: 34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed:     35804 kB
VmallocChunk: 34359701555 kB

titan linux # lspci
0000:00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller (rev a3)
0000:00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0050 (rev a3)
0000:00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus (rev a2)
0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2)
0000:00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3)
0000:00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev a2)
0000:00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev a3)
0000:00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev a3)
0000:00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
0000:00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
0000:00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
0000:00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
0000:00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
0000:00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
0000:00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
0000:00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
0000:00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
0000:00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
0000:01:07.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)
0000:01:08.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)
0000:05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
0000:05:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5b70

titan linux # uptime
 14:21:52 up 36 days,  7:08,  1 user,  load average: 0.17, 0.23, 0.21
titan linux #

:wink:
Tyler_Durden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Reply with quote

jsnorman wrote:
Asus a8n-sli deluxe

...RAID 1. NOTE IMPORTANT NOTE!!!! You MUST use fakeraid, and DISABLE the BIOS RAID. BIOS RAID on the Nvidia is SOFTWARE RAID and WILL NOT WORK the linux.

uhm sorry, this is not correct! Dmraid is your friend and does a good job. Look at:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-258981.html

At page 7 you can find my details using lilo (i had several problems using grub with my setup)
with dual-boot Windows XP+Gentoo.
AMD Radeon 6800XT
64GB DDR4
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
8x Seagate Archive (SATA-RAID 64TB)
Digital Devices Cine S2 V6.5 DVB Adapter
onlybui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is drivers for xpress 200 RS480M2-IL

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.13.3.html

This says its support xpress 200

but these drivers are in rpm format

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx64_6_8_0-8.13.3-1.x86_64.rpm
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx64_4_3_0-8.13.3-1.x86_64.rpm

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx_6_8_0-8.13.3-1.i386.rpm
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx_4_3_0-8.13.3-1.i386.rpm
RaZoR1394
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r10

2. What kind of motherboard do you have and what chip (K8T890, nForce4...) does it have?

Motherboard is named DFI nforce4 ultra-d. The chipset is nforce4 off course.

3. What kind of SATA/RAID chip(s) does it have? What kind of driver do you use and does it work?

The chip is nforce4 with 4 sata300 ports. I use the sata_nv driver.

4. What kind of ethernet chip does it have? What kind of driver do you use (name, propiertary/free) and does it work?

The NICS are:

* NVIDIA Gigabit LAN co-supported by Marvell Alaska 88E1111 PHY chip (Transceiver)
* Marvell 88E8001 PCI Gigabit LAN

I use the forcedeth (nvidia) and skge (marvell) drivers. They seem to be open source. The forcedeth driver is very unstable with the nvidia chip but the skge driver works fine with the Marvell chip. The forcedeth driver even died on me and it was nearly impossible to bring it back up.

5. What kind of audio chip does it have? What kind of driver do you use and does it work? (in/out? 5.1? s/pdif?)

Karajan audio 7.1 surround module. Features are in/out, s/pdif and Dolby surround decoding. I have disabled the module in bios because I have an Audigy 4 card. The module is based on the ALC850 chipset so it should work with the i8x0 driver (alsa).

6. What kind of wifi chip does it have? What kind of driver do you use and does it work?

None. Only wired ethernet available.

PCI-E works fine without any tweaks. USB should have OHCI and EHCI enabled. I had another USB hub using UHCI so I had to enable that too.

Firewire also works fine with enabled support in the kernel. Be sure to enable firewire storage for firewire harddrives.

Gameport is not available on this card.

ACPI seems to work without any special tweaks but I've disabled Cool n' quiet.

9. Are there general problems with the motherboard? Any additions (like required kernel parameters)?

* Forcedeth has some seriouse problems as pointed out before.
* sata_nv nforce4 hardware raid support. From what I've heard this doesn't work yet alternative is very unstable. That's why I don't use raid at all.

* Generally the board needs to be tweaked (voltage, frequencies) up before installing any OS. Else you could face corrupted file extraction and bad performance etc like I did. Be sure to checkout DFI SREET before you proceed. The board has important guides and staff sitting there from DFI ready to help.
* Powersupply should be at least 480w. Check DFI street for more info.
* 2gb ram is not recommended if It's not a San Diego or Venice based CPU. 1gb max should be used if you are buying for ex a Winchester cpu. So try getting a Venice or a San Diego cpu if you want more than 1gb ram.
* Bios should be upgraded for memory and cpu compability.
* I haven't been forced to use any special kernel parameters for booting correctly...

NOTES...

This nforce4 board serie is the best on without any doubts especially for overclockers. It's a bit expensive but It's definetily worth it. The ultra-dr version has 8 sata ports and a couple more features. The ultra-dr sli should have 8 sata ports, sli and a couple more features and hence the best of the series but the most expensive.

Last edited by RaZoR1394 on Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
wantilles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards! Reply with quote

olavi wrote:

gentoo-sources 2.6.11-r11

olavi wrote:

DFI LANParty nF4 SLI-DR, nForce4 SLI chipset.

olavi wrote:

1. nForce4 SLI 4-channel SATA/RAID controller
2. Silicon Image SI-3114 4-channel SATA/RAID controller

I use the 2nd. Support compiled in the kernel.

olavi wrote:

1. nForce4 gigabit ethernet
2. Marvell-Yukon gigabit ethernet

I use the 1st. Support compiled in the kernel -> forcedeth

olavi wrote:

Realtel ALC850 AC97 CODEC. Support compiled in the kernel -> intel8x0

olavi wrote:

No wi-fi.

olavi wrote:

PCI-e & usb work flawlessly (only using usb with a Microsoft IntelliMouse optical).

Never used firewire.

No gameport present.

olavi wrote:

Both work flawlessly with no special tweaking with kernel compiled-in support.

olavi wrote:

udev until version 055 was not working properly. It did not create /dev/cdromX symlinks for the optical drives. Version 058 now works flawlessly without any custom rules.
den_RDC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of different stuff between 2.6.9 & 2.6.12 - currently 2.6.12-rc4-nitro1

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (nforce4)

Currently 4 drives on the nf4 stata controller, none on the sil controller - also present is a adpatec 19160 scsi card in my systeù

sk98lin, forcedeth (both work @ gigabit speeds nicely)

snd_intel8x0

None

Everything works

Works afaik

I am cuurently running bios v1006, which is considerably better then the 1002 which came with the board. And i invested 5€ to replace the northbridge cooler :)
Video runs very fine with a Quadro FX1300 card
genneth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards! Reply with quote

2.6.11-gentoo-r12 Now is 2.6.12-gentoo-r4

Foxconn/Winfast NF4; calls itself CK804

NF4 ones; using sata_nv

RTL8169; driver is r8169; there is an issue with lots of connections causing a kernel panic. It appears to be a 64bit kernel issue, not hardware, since a knoppix cd of the same kernel version does not display the bug. It is particularly apparent with bittorrent and samba access, both of which tend cause a huge number of connections. This has been fixed by the new kernel

nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a2); driver is intel8x0; I use stereo in and out pretty often. Works very well with software dmix/dsnoop combo. Had to tweak the asound.conf a little for latency. Skype is a PITA.

No wifi.

No firewire or gameport. PCI-E and usb get stressed very often, exceedingly stable. Nothing to tweak.

Cool 'n' quiet has issues. Seems to cause a soft reboot at random (I'm guessing around speed switching times). Can't really use, though it's not much of an issue, since I have a well ventilated 3000+ Winchester core, which only hits 50C on a hot day at full blast. That was with the ondemand governor. Can't be arsed to keep playing -- my harddrives complain :lol: Power management I haven't tried. ACPI seems to work. No tweaks.

I like this mobo, since it's mATX and only £65. lm_sensors has bad support for my sensor set; it's a known problem upstream. lm_sensors issue has been fixed by new kernel

Code:
enlil ~ # lspci
0000:00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller (rev a2)
0000:00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0050 (rev a2)
0000:00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus (rev a2)
0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2)
0000:00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2)
0000:00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a2)
0000:00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev a2)
0000:00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev a2)
0000:00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev a2)
0000:00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
0000:00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a2)
0000:00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a2)
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeFORCE 6600] (rev a2)
0000:03:06.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

Edited: new kernel

Last edited by genneth on Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
woodshop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI (nForce4)
rebooting to 2.6.12-r4 in about 20seconds.

The SB live i have working and has been working since the 2.6.9 kernel
I got it woulding using alsa-drivers NOT the built in kernel ones.. it's still not working uber well but it does work. (no master channel for some reasion)
Tinyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards! Reply with quote

1: 2.6.11-gentoo-r11
2: ATI SLI Premium, nForce4
3: sata_nv, two normal SATA drives work. Havnt tried the raid.
4: nVidia and Marvell Yukon, both work. (only tried as 100mbit, no gig router here) Drivers were provided in the kernel install
5: Realtek AC97 builtin. To get this to work I ended up doing a number of things, no idea which did it. Compiled the Realtek AC97 drivers (ALSA) into the kernel. Installed nvidia-sound. Installed an alsa volumn control gnome app. I have to unmute it every time I boot. It works with no mixing at all. I could be happier about this...
6: No wifi included, never tried.
7: PCI-E is working, never tried the gameport ore firewire.
8: In order for the liveCD to boot I had to use "gentoo noapic apci=no" , but I think they are working fine now. It can poweroff so it has some power control. Dunno how to prove that Cool'N'Quiet is working.
9: The motherboard has been pretty nice except for the sound problems. But the install.txt didn't mention that I needed to do an 'emerge --sync', or use udev as a kernel parameter

Should mention my motherboard came with BIOS 1005 installed, havn't touched it.

Oh, and the motherboard is set to the local time EST, but Linux seems to think its 5 hours off. I have /etc/localtime set.
hirschma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards! Reply with quote

olavi wrote:
I'd like to collect some s939 pci-e motherboard compatibility information. I hope you contribute! :) Edit: Now we have some information about nForce4 based boards, how about K8T890?

Your wish is my command.

2.6.12-gentoo-r4

Asus A8V-E Deluxe, KT890 chipset.

VIA KT890 built-in. Sees all IDE (SATA and PATA) ports.

Marvell Yukon on the PCI-e bus. The Syskonnect 8.23 driver patched my kernel without error, and that driver seems to work (haven't tested speed yet).

Disabled (means, I disabled it, not the kernel - same for all replies).

Disabled.

USB and PCI-e seem to work fine. Haven't tried firewire, but it was detected correctly.

Disabled.

Seems to run like a champ, aside from the issue with the on-board ethernet.
movrev
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated my previous post on the Shuttle FN25 (sound, i2c, etc...). Check it out.
xxxx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards! Reply with quote

Some update about MSI RS480M2 (MicroATX, Radeon Express)

Quote:

from version 2.6.8.1 to the latest 2.6.11, all with Con Kolivas's pathset (ck-sources)
with 2.6.12 and fglrx kernel chrashes; information below with 2.6.11-ck10

Quote:

ati radeon xpress 200 w/integrated x300(?) vga

Quote:

silicon image (libata/sata_sil), I have no sata drive, it didn't work when I made some test (may, 2005). It works with with Mandriva LE2005, info:http://scottstuff.net/blog/articles/2005/03/17/msi-rs480m2-il-athlon-64-motherboard-mini-review

Quote:

realtek, builtin kernel 8139, no problem

Quote:

ati-ixp, builtin kernel alsa, works

Quote:

works, no tweaks, with ondemand governor, more info: [url]http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_PowerNow![/url]

Quote:

I'm using ati-drivers-8.13.x, older and newer versions doesn't support this igp
update: shut down works, reboot not; and crashed with sleep mode
el_Salmon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: MSI k8n neo4 platinum Reply with quote

I've to replace my motherboard Asus a8n-sli deluxe to a MSI k8n neo4 platinum because I had problems with nvidia4 SATA controller. System hangs up sometimes without reason. MSI mobo works great up to now. It's similar to Asus mobo, but it haven't SLI plug (I think I don't need at last) and chipset fan is less noisy. Moreover, it's cheaper.

Specifications similar to Wedge_'s. Audio integrated chip works with INTEL8X0 module and Marvell Yukon Gigabit NIC works with SKGE module.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: