Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaapeli
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lore wrote:

I'm thinking of my Windows 95 days. At that time you have to defragment your FAT filesystem to avoid a siginifcant amount of efficiency. Reiser3, ext3 and co. are able to be efficient over an unpredictable time. So it's quite scaring to me running a maintenance tool to keep reiser4 efficient.

Before Reiser4 I used XFS on my root partition. At some point I used to run xfs_fsr every second week, just to find out it really wasn't worth the trouble to get the handful of files defragmented. Well, all the xfs_fsr did was to defragment the large fragmented files (as far as I can tell). It didn't affect on the performance of the small files at all. Evidently the free space fragmentation issue was completely ignored too.

However, I can't tell for sure whether I started to lose performance with the small files on XFS or if it never was good. I wasn't happy with the fact that at times I spend long time waiting the small files to be read or written to the disk at ~500 - 800kB/s transfer rate. With Reiser4 the transfer rates are almost always at least five times higher (3 - 5MB/s). And when it comes reading large fragmented files on Reiser4, it seems to be able to read about 5MB/s which is somewhat the same XFS could do with fragmented files.

All I can tell is that Reiser4 becomes slower when it get's fragmented, but I can't tell for sure whether it gets slower than other FSes. It's the high contranst between optimal and fragmented Reiser4 disk performance that makes it feel like fragmentation is bigger issue that it might be in real life. One might even say that fragmented Reiser4 is just as fast than other FSes while optimal Reiser4 bites them all ;) But I can say that you don't want to fill too much your Reiser4 partition or you might end up having extremely poor write performance with it.

We just have to look forward the day when we have a reliable repacker for Reiser4, possibly one that keeps running on background ensuring optimal peformance on all cases. Maybe couple of more years...
Kaapeli
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, some updates here.

I ran the "repacker" script (the one with for loop) on my secundary computer today. I ran it on /usr/bin and /usr/lib directories. I didn't boot the box with liveCD or anything, though I didn't have X running at the time I ran the script. I did take tar backups of the directories, just for case. After running the script, I didn't notice any side effects, everything continued running like before. So, it didn't seem like it had broke anything, even I was using it on running system. I also didn't run any performance tests before and after running the script, I already did those before.

Just came here to say you how it worked out my box :) I think I will try this someday on my primary box, I'm having the feeling it could speed up things.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: