Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can I theme GTK+ widgets without Gnome installed?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Can I theme GTK+ widgets without Gnome installed? Reply with quote

Hi, I know comparatively little about Gnome (haven't used it since RedHat 6.0). But I run a fair few (great) GTK+ programs. I really find the default widget set ... well ... ugly. Perhaps not ugly as such, but pretty unattractive and tacky. I know GTK+ widgets are themeable so I have two questions:

1. How? Must I have Gnome fully installed?
2. Can it be done for GTK+ 1.x or only 2.x?

Thanks!
slik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I theme GTK+ widgets without Gnome installed? Reply with quote

kerframil wrote:

1. How? Must I have Gnome fully installed?
2. Can it be done for GTK+ 1.x or only 2.x?

1. you don't need gnome fully installed
2. yes it can be done with 1.x

in your home directory, create the file .gtkrc
Code:
include "/usr/share/themes/themename/gtk/gtkrc"
style "user-font"
{
fontset="-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

replace fontset with what you want for default font, you can grab this line from xfontsel

browse for a theme you like here or here.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, slik ... :-)
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Arrrghh! No luck ... Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm being a bit lame, but I tried that method to no avail. OK, I thought, lets look for some documentation - I managed to find a tutorial which indicated that you can simply copy the gtkrc file from the theme sub-directory to your ~/.gtkrc file (btw, it said you need gtk-engines so I emerged that). I had partial success using this approach, but none of the pixmaps would work. I have got jpglib, imlib and libpng installed. You could see other aspects of the theme being applied, but no buttons, scrollbars and so on. I tried running a GTK app from the console to see what was happenning (sylpheed). There were lots of errors as such:
Code:
Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "button5.png" line 1105

Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "button5.png" line 1114

etc etc etc ....

<deep breath> I then followed the advice given and edited the resource file and added a line at the top of the file (in this case for the AquaLiteBlue theme):
Code:
pixmap_path "/usr/share/themes/AquaLiteBlue/gtk/"

Same problem! I then uncommented this line to ensure it was looking in the right place for the engine libraries:
Code:
module_path "/usr/lib/gtk/themes/engines"

Still nothing! :-( Any idea what gives?
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Progress at last Reply with quote

Great! I got it working (without errors) by removing the pixmap_path line that I had added and changing the uncommented module_path line like this:
Code:
module_path "/usr/lib/gtk/themes/engines/lib

Now I'll have a look at your technique. Funny though - app-misc/gtk-theme-switch does not work at all ... pity, because it would be nice to preview the themes.

EDIT: spoke way too soon! It only worked if I ran sylpheed from a console when I was in the directory that had the pixmaps in it ... this is getting really frustrating now. Advice is really welcome ...
slik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress at last Reply with quote

You need x11-libs/gtk-engines-0.12-r2 installed, do you have that? gtk-engines-1.9.0 is for gtk+2 Other than that, I'm not sure, I did install x11-libs/old-gtk-themes too though (hacked up so I could download them)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: