View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_GeG_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: PHP5 - Why is it so hard??? Reply with quote

Hi,

i would like to use PHP5 on some production servers. But since each new install on my development and test server destroys something, I don't dare to do it.
PHP5 is declared stable since 11 month on php.net. So I was expecting that the mask would disappear. But what happened? It is not ~x86 anymore, but hard masked.
Why? And even if there is a reason, I don't understand why each ebuild for php5 needs a masked apache for example. Why do I have to use untested versions of other packages also, just to make my system even more unstable?
I have the impression that the person responsible for the php5 ebuilds was intending to create something completely new, then got bored, then left. And now nobody knows what to do, so it get's hard masked and stopped.

If someone who reads this knows why this is happening, please tell me. I would dearly love to know if there is a stable version coming? And when? Oh, and a last question, why are mod_php builds in slots? I can't use more then one at the same time anyway, or can I?

With best regards

a frustrated GeG
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is why php5 is masked (From /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask) :
Code:
# Stuart Herbert <stuart@gentoo.org> (10 Jun 2005)
# Masked until the eclass is finished, and the PECL packages are done
=dev-php/php-5*
=dev-php/mod_php-5*
=dev-php/php-cgi-5*
=dev-php/phpconfig-5*

I personally don't know much about what's happening with php5 though. Maybe you could e-mail Stuart Herbert for more info.
canal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: PHP5 - Why is it so hard??? Reply with quote

_GeG_ wrote:
I have the impression that the person responsible for the php5 ebuilds was intending to create something completely new, then got bored, then left. And now nobody knows what to do, so it get's hard masked and stopped.

No, it's not stopped. Unfortunatelly. There are ever newer classes, php ebuild releases, etc. It's madness. PHP 5 itself is quite stable but PHP 5 ebuils are definitelly not.

_GeG_ wrote:

If someone who reads this knows why this is happening, please tell me. I would dearly love to know if there is a stable version coming? And when?

Situation here is like Java 5, actually: there are a lot of frustrated users who want latest version, but... there are not enough developers to make it happen in hurry. So... the answer is: "eventully but not any time soon".

_GeG_ wrote:

Oh, and a last question, why are mod_php builds in slots? I can't use more then one at the same time anyway, or can I?

You can not use more then one, yes. You can install more then one - and use them in different Apache instances.
_GeG_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@canal
Quote:
You can not use more then one, yes. You can install more then one - and use them in different Apache instances.

Personaly I think that mod_php slots suck. I feel that they should have a USE flag slot, and if this is set, there can be more than one version at the same time. But I am pretty sure that on 99% of machines there are a lot of unused mod_php versions, because afaik there is no easy way to get rid of the old mod_php in slots.
In the gentoo handbook, this is the only thing i could find about slots:
Quote:
As we stated before, Portage is extremely powerful and supports many features that other software management tools lack. To understand this, we explain a few aspects of Portage without going into too much detail.

With Portage different versions of a single package can coexist on a system. While other distributions tend to name their package to those versions (like freetype and freetype2) Portage uses a technology called SLOTs. An ebuild declares a certain SLOT for its version. Ebuilds with different SLOTs can coexist on the same system. For instance, the freetype package has ebuilds with SLOT="1" and SLOT="2".
This is not much information on how to use it, and how to get rid of the left over versions.
The only way i know of is a emerge -C "<actual version", which is definitely a hard core move. I think that the main gentoo user wants one working actual php on his/her system.

Generally I don't understand the whole thing. I mean building php5 is not so much different from building php4. So why wasn't the php4 ebuild changed a little to install php5?

Oh, I am so fed up with this, I am waiting nearly a year already and I haven't even a ~x86 build :( :( I thought I had found the linux system of my dreams, with always up to date software. I mean most distros that I know of have php5 working, and they are not known for their release speed.

And don't come with don't complain, do it yourself, I am already on 2 free software projects.
canal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_GeG_ wrote:
@canal
Quote:

Personaly I think that mod_php slots suck. I feel that they should have a USE flag slot, and if this is set, there can be more than one version at the same time. But I am pretty sure that on 99% of machines there are a lot of unused mod_php versions, because afaik there is no easy way to get rid of the old mod_php in slots.

Hmm... What's so problematic with "emerge -C" ?

_GeG_ wrote:

The only way i know of is a emerge -C "<actual version", which is definitely a hard core move. I think that the main gentoo user wants one working actual php on his/her system.

With two versions of Apache ? How come ? If I ever installed Apache 1 and Apache 2 at the same time I'd expect to have two versions of mod_php! How can you ever use just one version of mod_php with both Apache 1 and Apache 2 ?

_GeG_ wrote:

Generally I don't understand the whole thing. I mean building php5 is not so much different from building php4. So why wasn't the php4 ebuild changed a little to install php5?

And then make all other planned changes ? Makes no sense to me. PHP 4 => PHP 5 is major upgrade. PHP 5 => PHP 5.1 should not be.

_GeG_ wrote:

Oh, I am so fed up with this, I am waiting nearly a year already and I haven't even a ~x86 build :( :( I thought I had found the linux system of my dreams, with always up to date software. I mean most distros that I know of have php5 working, and they are not known for their release speed.

I feel you pain. But if you want PHP 5 then why not just install it ? Yes, it has known issues (ZTS vs non-ZTS versions of php/mod_php mostly). But at least it's in portage and can be installed. Tomcat 5.5 is not even in portage - and it's almost full year old... You must use Portage Overlay to get it!

_GeG_ wrote:

And don't come with don't complain, do it yourself, I am already on 2 free software projects.

I fail to see how it's related to anything. PHP 5 is in portage. It's usable - I'm using it for more then half-year on Gentoo-based systems. Installation is tricky, though - and there are problems with PEAR-PEAR package thus it's not in ~x86 right now. If you wish to use it - you can.

P.S. Yes, I'd like to use stable and always up-to-date system as well. Unfortunatelly there are no such system and I doubt there ever will...
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

it seems that at least canal knows how to do it "the right way". :-) I have a "stable" (not ~x86) webserver where someone now really wants PHP5. Currently it works with PHP4 and MySQL 4.0. An update to MySQL 4.1 would be perhaps possible but not desirable.

So, how can I get PHP5 without pulling half my system up to ~x86 and without breaking sth. for a later update when PHP5 & Co get stable?

My way would be to use package.unmask woth the the mod_php5 and php5 packages and then use package.keyword with ~x86 on all packages it wants to have. That way it should work (shouldn't it?) but pulls in so many ~x86 dependencies, including apache. :-/

Thank you for letting me asking this newbie style question, but I'm quite uncertain what will happen with that server (and I can't test it on another server since this is the only not-~x86 I have ;-) ).

Thanks,

Marcel
canal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyerm wrote:
So, how can I get PHP5 without pulling half my system up to ~x86 and without breaking sth. for a later update when PHP5 & Co get stable?

Compile it by hand, obviously - or create your own .ebuild (use PHP 4 ebuild as prototype). Portage tree is not created for cherry-picking: while it is possible to compile PHP 5 with stable apache, apr and so on PHP 5 ebuild is not designed for this: when PHP 5 will be ready to be marked stable other Apache-related packages will be marked stable as well.

You are either using "~x86" (and then you only need to unmask PHP5) or you are using "x86" (and then there are no easy way to install PHP 5) - your choice.

Right now there are big problems with unstable Apache/PHP 5: php does not include phpize and pear but PEAR-PEAR requires it! Thus it's quite hard to install working PHP 5. It's not impossible to install: create empty /usr/bin/pear - and PEAR-PEAR will be installed with working pear but without other important parts; repeat installation with working /usr/bin/pear - and you now have everything in working state. But this state of affairs is obviously top messy even for "~x86", thus everything is masked...

When we'll have easy-to-install PHP 5 ? Who knows...
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canal wrote:
Compile it by hand, obviously - or create your own .ebuild (use PHP 4 ebuild as prototype).

:-( Well, I did it manually for now. Hopefully everthing will work and I didn't forget or break somthing...

canal wrote:
Portage tree is not created for cherry-picking:
Sure, but since PHP5 is already quite long on the market it is getting more and more difficult to explain why we didn't have it on our webserver. Well, I hope the webdevs are happy now and the server won't be hacked thanks to my "skills" ;-)

Thank you for answering.

Marcel
_GeG_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nothing
...can you tell me how I can find out which slots are used, and which slots I can delete? I haven't found an utility which tells me which versions I can safely delete and which are still used.

[flaming on]I would think that creating a working ebuild for php5 comes first, and then one could create ebuilds with lots and lots of features, which will never? work.

I mean I am trying to run professional servers on gentoo, and all I can tell my clients is: "Yes, it's is going to come eventually, but at the moment my distro has nothing new and they don't know when it is going to work, they say: >> Compile it yourself if you need it << since 11 month".
And then my clients ask me why I don't use SuSE, which I hate, but I must admit they do their job much better.

If I wanted to compile everything on my own, I would use Linux from scratch.

Gentoo is moving further and further from a distro that could be used for professional systems, which is very sad :(
[/flaming]
canal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_GeG_ wrote:
Quote:

nothing
...can you tell me how I can find out which slots are used, and which slots I can delete? I haven't found an utility which tells me which versions I can safely delete and which are still used.

This is common problem with Gentoo, right ? No - there are no such utility. But is it really so gard to recall if you are using Apache 1.x or Apache 2.x ?

_GeG_ wrote:

I would think that creating a working ebuild for php5 comes first, and then one could create ebuilds with lots and lots of features, which will never? work.

When you'll create your own distribution you'll able to decide what comes first and what comes second. I do not like lack of working PHP 5 with MySQLi as well - but I'm not Gentoo developer and I have no time to play one.

_GeG_ wrote:

I mean I am trying to run professional servers on gentoo, and all I can tell my clients is: "Yes, it's is going to come eventually, but at the moment my distro has nothing new and they don't know when it is going to work, they say: >> Compile it yourself if you need it << since 11 month".

Yeah. The same answer RedHat gives you when you are asking about PHP 5 and RHEL 4 (released February 2005). The same answer Debian project will give you when you are asking about PHP 5 and Debian 3.1 (released June 2005). The same answer Novell will give you when you are asking about PHP 5 and SLES 9 (released May 2004, but still the last version available). Argh. Collusion. World comes to the end!

_GeG_ wrote:

And then my clients ask me why I don't use SuSE, which I hate, but I must admit they do their job much better.

Then switch to SuSE - it's your choice. The fact is: PHP 5 is still bleeding-edge technology. As rule - only experimental distributions are including it right now. I while I do not like the fact it's not in usable state in Gentoo I fail to see how it's affects "professional servers". I mean: all "professional distributions" from all vendors (RedHat, SuSE, etc) are still lackinbg PHP 5 support.

_GeG_ wrote:

Gentoo is moving further and further from a distro that could be used for professional systems, which is very sad :(

Yeah. Gentoo failed to deliver some bleeding-edge technology in nice-to-use package - run for the hills!

Gentoo is system by developers for developers. Thus good PHP5-ebuild takes higher priority over "something working now" (among other things). If someone will create some "enterprise form" of Gentoo - it'll be great. But for now there are no such branch. BTW this branch will be even slower in adoption of bleeding-edge trechnologies. Like RHEL, SLES and so on.

To me lack of Java 2 version 5.0 with Tomcat 5.5 is bigger problem - and both Java 2 version 5.0 and Tomcat 5.5 were released more then half year ago and noone knows when we'll have even masked packages in portage tree. Does it mean developers "totally failed" ? No. It just means I'll be forced to live with PORTAGE_OVERLAY for some time. And I've used PHP 5 in this fashion even back in September. Is it perfect way to do things ? No. Is it works ? Yes.
_GeG_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is common problem with Gentoo, right ? No - there are no such utility. But is it really so gard to recall if you are using Apache 1.x or Apache 2.x ?
It seems that i misunderstood the slot thing. I thought that each new version will be installed in a new slot, leaving the old version in another slot. And I was afraid that my disk was getting full with old unused versions in different slots. Sure I can remember if I have installed deliberately two versions.

Quote:
The same answer Novell will give you when you are asking about PHP 5 and SLES 9 (released May 2004, but still the last version available).
Not any more, late, but they have it now: http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/professional/php5.html

Quote:
...Does it mean developers "totally failed" ? No. It just means I'll be forced to live with PORTAGE_OVERLAY for some time. And I've used PHP 5 in this fashion even back in September. Is it perfect way to do things ? No. Is it works ? Yes.
I broke my system two times when I tried to install a new php5 version. Once I was left with a not working apache, because the config files had changed their location, but I couldn't find any info about that (I must admit it was a masked apache build. But this is the problem, I need to install more and more unstable version with all side effects), and then pear was lost.
BTW I am using PHP5 also since september, and then it was only ~x86 masked and I told everybody how cool gentoo is, they have already a php5 package.

Quote:
Gentoo is system by developers for developers.

from www.gentoo.org:
Quote:
Gentoo Linux in a paragraph

We produce Gentoo Linux, a special flavor of Linux that can be automatically optimized and customized for just about any application or need. Extreme configurability, performance and a top-notch user and developer community are all hallmarks of the Gentoo experience.

Thanks to a technology called Portage, Gentoo Linux can become an ideal secure server, development workstation, professional desktop, gaming system, embedded solution or something else -- whatever you need it to be. Because of its near-unlimited adaptability, we call Gentoo Linux a metadistribution.

I spent quite a lot of time checking different distros to find the perfect system for my needs, and at the point of my decision gentoo seemed to be the right system. And now I am just disappointed that maybe I took the wrong decision again :(
Well, let's see, on the one server where I _need_ PHP5, it is running, so let's wait how things develop.
radixvir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[another frustrated user here]

i would like to point out that 5.0.3 worked great! so good that it had to be removed? from my understanding things are changing so PEAR could be separated from php. But my question is why would you want to do this? Isnt PEAR part of the php tarball and therefore distributed with php? Also, why does php 5.0.4 now require the latest apache which for some reason has all its configuration changed around, effectively breaking your current setup.
canal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radixvir wrote:
from my understanding things are changing so PEAR could be separated from php. But my question is why would you want to do this? Isnt PEAR part of the php tarball and therefore distributed with php?

It is. But you can only have one instance of PEAR while you can install php, mod_php, php_cgi and many-many other php versions.

radixvir wrote:
Also, why does php 5.0.4 now require the latest apache which for some reason has all its configuration changed around, effectively breaking your current setup.

Since PHP 5 ebuilds were never intended for general public and it's way better to break compatibility while it's still in "~x86" state then to break it later when it'll hit "x86" ?
_GeG_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since PHP 5 ebuilds were never intended for general public and it's way better to break compatibility while it's still in "~x86" state then to break it later when it'll hit "x86" ?
Yes, I agree. But PHP5 is already stable since one year, so I think it is time for a PHP5 ebuild for the general public, don't you think?
canal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_GeG_ wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I agree. But PHP5 is already stable since one year, so I think it is time for a PHP5 ebuild for the general public, don't you think?

No. GCC 3.4 was declared stable more then year ago - still only "~x86". MONO 1.1.x was declared stable almost two years ago - still only "~x86". JAVA 1.5 was released almost year ago - still "~x86" and "will not be declared stable for a looong time yet". And the same is true for Berkeley DB 4.3.x (stable for half-year and not even "~x86" - and no palns to make it at least "~x86" any time soon). And so on.

Sorry. PHP is no unique. Gentoo usually is quite fast with new masked ebuild and sometimes "~M" ebuilds are concerned, but stable... there Gentoo is quite often more conservative then, for example, Fedora. They will be declared stable when they'll be declared stable. If you wish to downgrade back to working 5.0.3 version - CVS is available, you know...

P.S. I'm using Berkeley DB 4.3.x on my system for last half-year. No ill effects. The only exception are HUGE number of ebuilds not compatible with libdb-4.3.so ...
stickboy2642
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only exception are HUGE number of ebuilds not compatible with libdb-4.3.so

Perfect example of one of the major problems here. You have to make sure that the new package isn't going to break any of the other packages that depend on it. There are a lot of PHP based packages (phpMyAdmin, phpBB, PEAR modules, and countless others) and some of them, for various reasons, will not work with PHP5. These packages need to be fixed and tested before you can safely release the new PHP ebuild, otherwise there will be systems dieing all over the place.
}else{
drink($beer);
} ?>
_GeG_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stickboy2642 wrote:
Perfect example of one of the major problems here. You have to make sure that the new package isn't going to break any of the other packages that depend on it. There are a lot of PHP based packages (phpMyAdmin, phpBB, PEAR modules, and countless others) and some of them, for various reasons, will not work with PHP5. These packages need to be fixed and tested before you can safely release the new PHP ebuild, otherwise there will be systems dieing all over the place.
Maybe that's just my twisted line of thought: Should we really wait for all packages to work with PHP5? Or should we just make all existing packages depend on PHP4, and then up from a certain version of each package, they need PHP4 or 5. This way there could be a release of PHP5 without breaking anything, and as soon as the developers of each package declare that they are PHP5 safe, they can be used with PHP5 on gentoo too. That's how I imagine it should be in a perfect world ;)
canal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stickboy2642 wrote:
Quote:
The only exception are HUGE number of ebuilds not compatible with libdb-4.3.so

Perfect example of one of the major problems here.
Nope. I've found huge number of ebuilds not compatible with libdb-4.3.so. I've found very few programs incompatible with libdb-4.3.so (zero so far, to be exact): ebuilds are just checking if libdb-4.2, libdb-4.1 or libdb-4.0 is installed and select libdb-4.2.so, libdb-4.1.so or libdb-4.0.so. They never check for libdb-4.3.so! Once it's fixed everything works just fine.

Very different situation when you look on PHP4 -> PHP5 transtion (that's why major version of package is changed, after all!).
kang
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally.. php5 fixes a bug in detecting disconnected sessions which 4.X still fails to fix.. apache2 will go 99% cpu and lock your machine if you have a forked process running and the user is not browsing the page it was started from anymore, while settimeout is 0 (and you detect when session is broken to kill the program, php4 just fails to do it)
php devs marked it wont fix on 4X :-(
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont see why anyone has to do anything special to get php5 OR java 1.5 working perfectly.. all you need to do is add mod_php and php to package.unmask, and for java, sun-jre-bin, and add them to package.keywords as ~amd64 or ~x86, and emerge it, it works perfectly, how hard can it be???

i do this on both my server, and my workstation, it doesent pull in a million ugly packages.. and once they hit x86 or amd64, just remove the stuff from package.keywords and package.unmask, and you are all happy (like you were once you had the stuff in package.unmask and package.keywords) BECAUSE you have a perfectly working php :)
atom.galaxy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely not my intention to make this a long post with boring testimonials, but i'm afraid it might be.

I have been running php5 since it hit ~x86, and have been thrilled with it. The thing is, it even worked with mysql 4.1. I went through some pain trying to get it to work with apache 2.0.52 and failed, but it was an apache bug and was fixed in .53.

I am now running php5 with apache 2.0.54-r12, php5.0.4, and mysql 4.1, without any tinkering with ebuilds except for making php5 depend on mysql 4.1 instead of 4.0 so it would compile without portage complaining about missing deps. Works perfectly.

Now lately, I can not upgrade php to 5.0.4-r1, because the hack I used to change the dependency in the eclass no longer works???? When I change the line (mysql? =dev-db/mysql-4.0) to (mysql? =dev-db/mysql-4.1) it still wants to depend on mysql 4.0??? (eclass in eclass/php5-sapi-r2.eclass). Even emerge --metadata doesn't help. If anyone can give any clues how I can fix this like I did before, it would be greatly appreciated.

This is not the reason for this post though:

My soul question is:

How can we, ordinary, normal users, who just want to see the thing done and working, HELP the developers to get mysql-4.1 and php5 into ~x86 again?

"developers" in the previous sentence is a replacement for "lazy bastards", which I know they are not, but it seems it is so from the eyes of us, unseeing users.

Why are we kept in the dark?
Why can we not help?
Why does noone bother in these foums with questions like [dev] Has anyone got this working and would help with feedback?

I'm sure if the developers just listened to what we went through to get the stuff working and it worked, they'd either figure it out faster (yes, even with the actual overhead of listening to boring users), or would figure that using a more relaxed approach makes users contribute more feedback on how far the thing is, so the developer can see why it breaks on his machine and why it doesn't break on the user's. With more feedback from the developers, users would be quicker to jump in with patches and help, because they wouldn't have to go through a lengthy ordeal with a developer just to get the development status and "what needs to be done" list.

When I tried to help with this (really help, ebuild stuff and testing), this is what I got. I go to #gentoo and the friendly folk there pointed me to #gentoo-apache. I go there and post a question of how I can help, temporarely join the crew or sth, and after half an hour of waiting (it's a good thing kvirc has a bell notify of activity) i get an answer like this: "tell us what works for you, test stuff." I tell him of the setup that works for me, and get no additional info of what to test next, and after a month, nothing has been made of this information I gave him: php5-sapi-r3 has still not been completed, and it only works with php-5.1.0_beta-r*, which does not work with my apache install at all (and I have no intention of using a beta php), while 5.0.4 is alive and well, and doesn't want to compile with mysql-4.0, but works perfectly with it.

It's such a common answer to the question: why does this not work, why isn't it implemented/fixed: do it yourself, help us yourself to get it right.
Well, the normal response is that normal human beings have not the experience and stuff to du such a thing.
But here I am, TRYING to help, and I CAN'T???

HULLO!!! ANYONE THERE? (shout in the devel foxhole) CAN WE GET A TODO LIST? CAN WE HELP?

With a craving for a non-dismissive answer,

Gasper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im quoting IvanYosifov
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-356171-highlight-.html
Quote:

From /usr/portage/profile/package.mask

Quote:

# Stuart Herbert <stuart@gentoo.org> (10 Jun 2005)
# Masked until the eclass is finished, and the PECL packages are done
=dev-php/php-5*
=dev-php/mod_php-5*
=dev-php/php-cgi-5*
=dev-php/phpconfig-5*

So, it will be unmasked once the eclass is finished. It has been masked for some 20 days now, it is not THAT long. If you _NEED_ it - unmask it and use it.

It has been masked for more then 20days, atleast a couple of months
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-191489-highlight-.html

And if I unmask and use it I will have to much dep problems with apache2 and mysql
Kosa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHP5 and MySQL 4.1 are really sad stories :-( Hopefully, we'll have stable MySQL 4.1 before release date of 5.0.

I would like to help, but i'm using Gentoo for about 3months and i'm still learning. But installing these packages was really good training :-) Btw. both of them works great.
ScriptBlue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with Kosa that installing masked packages is good training, it has really made me go out of my way to learn how to use portage as well as getting use to the new Gentoo environment. So I really couldn't care less if they left the ebuilds masked, at least people will be forced to learn.
dalu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a sidequestion:
if you got mysql 4.1 and php5.0.4 installed, did phpmyadmin work, or phpbb?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: