make.conf Question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: make.conf Question Reply with quote

Is there anywhere I can go to see all the avaible options I can put in my make.conf file? I want to tweak my system as much as possable, period.

Just like a website that shows all the different options, and what they do.

Thanks.

-ee99ee
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'm aware of. You can see a description of all USE variables in /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc. As for all the CPU flags, etc. -- those are more of a function of the compiler, rather than gentoo itself. Also, from the FAQ:

Quote:
I'm finding things to be really unstable and I'm using "-O9 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer" optimizations. What gives?

When you use any optimizations beyond -O3, you're really taking the risk of having broken packages. Very aggressive optimizations sometimes cause the compiler to streamline the assembly code to the point where it doesn't quite do the same thing anymore. Loc-Dog (on IRC) uses -O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -malign-functions=4, which is about as much as I'd want to push global optimization settings. Beyond this, it's best to use ultra-high optimizations only with specific packages where you really need that extra 2%, (eg graphics and various multimedia programs), and where you can easily test the package to ensure that it hasn't been optimized into oblivion.

So you might want to rethink tweaking things too much.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: