Tips for a laptop user?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meekrob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Tips for a laptop user? Reply with quote

Are there any packages I should install as a laptop user? Last night I ran out of batteries with no warning, what can I do to prevent that? I'm a gnome user by the way. If anyone has some good laptop hints I'd love to hear em.
technomage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Laptop Reply with quote

Make sure you have apm enabled in your kernel configuration and then you can use the GNOME battery applet to check on your battery status. There are also some hints on the linux laptop howto about using hdparm to set your disk parameters accordingly. using the apm commands you can sleep your laptop and shut it down using power management.

hope this helps
femistofel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: batteries status Reply with quote

since i hardly ever run X and absolutelly never GNOME i use other method of checking batteries status:

Code:
cat /proc/apm

this command shows some criptic line where one of the last numbers is something like 50% that is how full are the batteries. of course there must be some programs that check this value, or you can write your own, but for me cat is enough.

cheers[/i]
clattuc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, if you prefer not to parse the cryptic line from /proc/apm yourself, you can run the command 'apm', and it will do the hard work for you... ;-)

If you run apmd it should warn you if you're battery's getting low.
phliver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: apm Reply with quote

just run the command "apm" and it will read the file for you and display a nicely formated value on the console.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: