Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Compile Gentoo for XBOX on PC, POSSIBLE?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MHenry676
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Compile Gentoo for XBOX on PC, POSSIBLE? Reply with quote

I've compiled gentoo on my faster PC (Athlon XP 2500 Barton 333 running at 2.5GHz) for others based on thier arch, did a stage 4 backup, then booted them with the live cd and used my stage 4 backup as the stage file to use for two slower machines, then compiling the kernel then reboot them with their own gentoo. Can I do this for the XBOX seeing that's it's an i386 arch too?

I would install gentoo into a file so I can keep it going for games too. I was going to try the Stage 1/3 install and use gcc 3.4.3 with nptl. Maybe try the -Os flag as well (although Gentoox probably utilizes the -Os already, would make sense anyway)

So far I've done a K6-2 550 and a Pentium 200 (non MMX) with no problems saving me oodles of compile hours (days).
MHenry676
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention I would be using the XBOX stage tarball as a base.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just install GentooX.
MHenry676
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

733MHz Celeron vs. 2.5GHz Athlon XP is mostly why looking at compile time, plus I'd just like to do it. Does the newer Gentoox take advantage of the gcc 3.4.x and nptl? I've notice a bit of performance increase using Jackass Gentoo on my Athlon XP which does, and although the only Gentoo I've installed on my K62 was using the Stage 1/3 install, it seems to perform quite well and stable. Thought it might help the XBOX a little. Could anyone post their Gentoox make.conf and the lspci -v and cpuinfo?
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off last week with GentooX, it's a nice package and a lot of effort has gone into it, but it's move to Kernel 2.6 seems stalled due to issues with the fatX 2.6 driver, so I moved to doing the plain gentoo install at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_for_Xbox

There were no real issues, apart from ones created by not listening to advice on IRC:)

If you do a 2.6 install just make sure you use joymouse with the xpad driver, and don't miss the option xbox=1 in the alsa conf.

I used a stage 3 pentium3 install, but I guess you could use a stage one and distcc, I didn't due to lack of x86 hardware at home.

Kaffeine and MythTV are working great here.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MHenry676 wrote:
733MHz Celeron vs. 2.5GHz Athlon XP is mostly why looking at compile time, plus I'd just like to do it. Does the newer Gentoox take advantage of the gcc 3.4.x and nptl? I've notice a bit of performance increase using Jackass Gentoo on my Athlon XP which does, and although the only Gentoo I've installed on my K62 was using the Stage 1/3 install, it seems to perform quite well and stable. Thought it might help the XBOX a little. Could anyone post their Gentoox make.conf and the lspci -v and cpuinfo?

I thought GentooX used precompiled packages to start since every XBOX has indentical hardware specs and compiling it yourself wouldn't change much. (aka its basically like a stage 4 install)

What are your plans for using Gentoo on XBOX? I don't think using a 2.4 kernel would change anything. :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: