Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Help with getting my wireless lan to work on a Dell laptop!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antipod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Help with getting my wireless lan to work on a Dell laptop! Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone out there has a Dell Inspirion c600 (or any other model, with a wireless lan card built in), that can help me with getting it connected?!

I think I did it all right with adding it as eth1. The problem is that I don't know which driver to use. Now I have the orinoco drivers and the rest that is under the wireless part in the kernel as modules. I've tried to modprobe them all but nothing seem to work, which might be because when starting the system up it says 'failed to bring eth1 up'! ;)

Anyway, I have no clue how to get this baby to work... since I'm not that much into the system (and since I only rent the computer from school I don't know what kind of wireless card it has). I only know that when I ran Mandrake 9.1RC2 it worked right from the box!

Help is appreciated! :)

/Henrik
Strubenator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I'm fairly certain that dell laptops use builtin orinoco cards for their wireless. So I would try a modprobe orinoco_plx and see if that works. If not I don't know you can try to cat /proc/pci to see what device it is.

--Strube
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: