Gentoo Meetup Board
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Meetup Board Reply with quote

I think it would be a good idea if there was a specific board in Discussion & Documentation for Gentoo meetings. Current meetings could be made sticky and once they have passed they could be un-sticky.

A naming convention would be good for the name as well like: London, England Meet 28/09/05 Sao Paolo, Brazil Meet 21/11/05 That would help with instant noticing if thee are any near you in the future.

A board like this would be good for the community because it would encourage users to meet eachother and anything that helps the community as a whole would be a good idea. At the moment there is no real encouragement to have many meetings, for instance therre must be a huge amount of Gentoo users in New York, Berlin and Paris but we just dont see people making the effort to have meetings, this could change it.

What do people think?
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be UK, England, London 2005-09-28 19:00 The Queens Head Pub instead to allow for better sorting and remove ambiguities of time/date format.

Good idea!
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a longer name. With luck a board like this will encourage more people to arrange meetups.
psyqil
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Meetup Board Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
therre must be a huge amount of Gentoo users in New York, Berlin and Paris but we just dont see people making the effort to have meetings
I do: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-320686.html
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit,

Sounds good to me.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Meetup Board Reply with quote

psyqil wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
therre must be a huge amount of Gentoo users in New York, Berlin and Paris but we just dont see people making the effort to have meetings
I do: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-320686.html
yeah but no-one knows where Schraders is!!!

But I thought that it would be a good idea to centralise things. Think, if the topic has a place, a date, a country etc then if i am going to be in Prague for 2 weeks and there is a meeting then i can see, they can all be in their original languages but if I am going to be in Paris for business for any length of time and there is a topic that says France, Austerlitz, Paris 2005-09-28, 20:00 then I know I can attend.

Also there is another side to it, if i know i am going to be in New York for business in 6 weeks time I can also ask if anyone wants to meet up or organise my own meeting (as long as someone else organises then venue).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the Gentoo User Meetings everywhere thread which was set up to link to active discussions about any given meeting. It had a brief period of usage, and then died out. Until it starts to see some more usage, I think a dedicated forum seems excessive (at least until subforums are released.)
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact that you couldn't even post there yourself defeats the object a bit...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the intent was for threads to be posted to Gentoo Chat, and then a link added to that thread. (Rather than having 3 or 4 stickies about meetings. IRRC, people had asked to have "theirs" sticky.)
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, i understand more now.

As I said before though if there are ones in other countries then non native people to that country aren't going to find out. Also the centralisation of the posts would make it easier and cleaner for the forums.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
if there are ones in other countries then non native people to that country aren't going to find out.
I'm not following. What is preventing a German, Japanese, or any other country specific thread from being posted to Gentoo Chat? If its the "language," then it wouldn't help to be in a forum dedicated to the meetings either.

cokehabit wrote:
Also the centralisation of the posts would make it easier and cleaner for the forums.
Well, thats a matter of perspective. I personally find the forums to be more cluttered with more and more forums added to the front page. And there aren't so many "meeting" threads that they are causing any form of clutter (especially considering some of the other threads :D.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: