View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterfortuin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: XFree words --- Startx don't Reply with quote

I have configurated XFree86 and it works witm my hardwere fine. Mouse, keyboard, screen, videocard, it all workt fine.

Then I tryed to startx.
I get a error that he can't find me config file (XFree86Config). XFree86 could find it because it works.

Then I tryed coping the config file (XFree86Config) to the location that startx wants it.
If I type startx again he says my confige file isn't correct. He doesn't reconise alle kind of parts of the config file, like serverlayout and inputdevice. Can somebody help me?
captnjameskirk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

startx isn't looking for the config file, X is. It should be named XF86Config (not XFree86Config) and put in /etc/X11/. You might wan't to run xf86config (the console version) instead of xf86cfg (the graphical version) since it appears to properly name and store the config file automatically. The graphical version may be easier to use, but it's also easy to set something wrong and not catch it, and it also wants to save the file someplace besides /etc/X11 and even name it something other than XF86Config.

Hope this helps.
peterfortuin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i'm sorry. I mean XF86Config.
And yes XFree86 is running ok. The config file is ok. But when I try to start X, it trying to locate the config file (XF86Config) on a differerent place. And is says that the config file (XF86Config) is not correct, but it worked with the XFree86 command.

Why doesn't it work??
captnjameskirk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you may have more than one version of xfree merged, but it's hard to tell without giving us the exact errors being reported. E.g., what exactly about XF86Config doesn't it like, and where is it trying to find it?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: