Canon camera and gtkam. Need help.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Canon camera and gtkam. Need help. Reply with quote

I have installed gphoto2 and gtkam. I changed the device permissions using Konqueror and right clicking and changing them there. I'm not real good at doing that in command line. I did get it to work as a regular user after that. I then took some more pictures and came back to transfer them and I get this little error message:

Code:
Could not list folders in '/'.

An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make sure no other program or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you have read/write access to the device.

Like I said, it worked the first time and it worked fine as a regular user as well. How do I fix this? Is it me or something else? Is it a permissions thing maybe?

Thanks for the help. Great camera though.

:D :D :D :D
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
cristi1979
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2420056.html#2420056
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I tried it but it still does not work. It does work as root though, but not as a regular user.

I did have to create a group in the group file and add the users there as well. Is that the correct way to do that? I remember having to do that with the wheel group once and it worked but not sure.

This is the line I added to the group file:

Code:
camera:x:450:root,dale,dale2

That look OK?

Thanks for the help.

Why is it that when I search I can never find anything that fits? I did search.
cristi1979
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember. Maybe you should change "camera" with "usb" in the script and put your user in the usb group. I think that worked for me a while ago.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I solved the problem some time ago and posted about it here. The solution basically involves copying over a script provided by gphoto2, creating a new group, and adding the user to the group.

Alex
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link did the job. I did everything in there already but one crucial thing. I didn't log out of KDE and then log back in. After that, it works fine. I can access my camera as a regular user.

Now I have one more question. When I save the pictures, it doesn't show the preview thing. You know when you browse with Konqueror and you go to the directory and the icon is like the picture. Mine just looks like a camera. I have some other pics that work fine though. If I open the pic with GIMP and then save it again, it looks like it should then. Is there a setting in the camera or is it something else? Maybe I did something wrong, again. :wink:

I LOVE this camera. I'm going to town tomorrow. Anybody want pics of my hometown? They are huge. 2592x1944 it says. I have pics of my fish tank too. :D I got to read and get that size down a bit though.

Thanks again.

evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Glad it worked. I just use gphoto2 -P from the command line to grab pictures, so I don't know how to get the thumbnails to show up as icons. Good luck in finding out!

Alex
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbnails, that is the word. I knew it was called something but I couldn't get the right word.

Maybe someone will come along with a fix for that.

Thanks for fixing the other problem at least.

Later

:D :D :D :D :D
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I found the solution to the thumbnail thing. The files are big and it is set not to show them over a certain size. I guess that is nice if you have a slow rig, a slow hard drive or both, but not in my case.

To fix this"feature", :lol: , do this:

In Konqueror of course, Settings > Configure Konqueror > Previews & Meta-Data then change the slider from 1Mb to wahtever you want it to be. I set it to 14Mb but I may never see a pic that large. The same thing in the Control Center does not fix this. May work on the desktop but not in Konqueror, at least not for me.

I was confused that some did and some didn't so I started searching. I noticed it was a size thing because the big ones didn't thumbnail while the smaller ones did. I do have a 5 mega-pixel camera so a lot of them are large. I had one that was 2Mbs once. Huge thing it was.

Anyway, any suggestions on what I can rename this thread to that would suite both problems if someone searches for these problems?

OK, everybody give me a hand for figuring this out and then posting the answer as well. :D

Later

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: