View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LumiNousiT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Installing Gentoo from Knoppix Reply with quote

Hi, I've been a lurker for quite a while, yet only post occasionaly. I thought I might toss out my experience from installing from Knoppix. I found to be better for me as I was still able to use my computer during the long time that it takes for the bootstrap and base system compile.

1.) Boot from the Knoppix CD. It generally does a really good job of hardware detection. (Be warned you may have to add some boot options. I ended up passing "knoppix wheelmouse xvrefresh=75 screen=1600"

2.) By default Knoppix boots into a KDE 3.0 desktop. The first thing I did was open a konsole and typed "sudo passwd root". This lets you set the root password for Knoppix.

3.) Next, I su to root and typed "usermod -d /root -m root". This sets user roots home directory to /root (the Gentoo way) from /home/root (the Knoppix way). If you do not do this, then you will receive errors when emerging about "/home/root: not found" or something to that effect.

4.) I then typed "exit" and then su back into root. This loads the change that was made with the usermod command. At this point, you can pick up with the standard install documentation at step 6.

I hope someone else is able to make use out of this. It makes the install much less "painful" as the computer is fully useable. Thank you and good night. :D
piquadrat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Might use that way for the next PC I'll go to install Gentoo :)
chadders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love knoppix as a rescue and install cd. It is great to be able to user your computer for other stuff while compiling gentoo for 2 days :)

Chad :D
jmercer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been using knoppix as my live cd although I hadn't set the root's home to /root or setup a password though. What I do once I boot into knoppix is "sudo su -" and then carry on. Best thing with this approach is that you can listen to music, have konqueror/fav browser open with the install instructions and goof around with the games while you fdisk, mount and install. You get the best of both worlds, a roll-up-your-sleeves gentoo installation and a fully functional kde environment with all the perks of home. Thanks LumiNousiT for starting this thread and making people aware of this alternate install method.
lannie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Knoppix is a great way of installing gentoo IMHO :) (esp. for the modem users!) , why? because when i tried to use the 1.4RC2/RC3 boot cd, it always loved to stuff up at the cloop stage o_O (don't ask me why..) and u can use the computer as well :)

so what did i do to install gentoo? :)

1) pop knoppix cd into drive
2) boot computer
3) on the boot screen of knoppix, enter
Quote:
knoppix 2

then, let the hardware detect itself, and then u'll end up with a nice terminal with root access to all ur hardware :)

for extra use... which i find quite good considering that gentoo takes AGES to install..

just switch to a new virtual terminal (ALT + F2, F3 ...) just
Quote:
startx

kde should load up... and for me, i used kppp to connect myself onto the internet (wvdial didn't work for me) and yah... u can just browse the web or play a game of frozen bubble while u wait for gentoo to compile it self :D

-Lan
Jimbow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea. Installing Gentoo from an existing X windowed Linux is much less painful.

The only downside I see is that we might get flooded with new users that have a lot to learn but don't want to.
chadders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knoppix is great! I have been installing with knoppix for awhile and never had any problems.

iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you Knoppix installers think about this?

The idea is making a knoppix cd that is gentoofied. Knoppix can do a quick install to a hd. Do that, and then do a rebuild of the world.
joshmccormack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: knoppix installer Reply with quote

Do you use the info Knoppix generates from it's hardware detection?

There's a way to install Knoppix (Debian) to the hd from the CD, isn't there? Anyone want to work on customizing that to do a Gentoo install? Ideally with compressed sources on the CD.
Jimbow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: knoppix installer Reply with quote

joshmccormack wrote:

There's a way to install Knoppix (Debian) to the hd from the CD, isn't there? Anyone want to work on customizing that to do a Gentoo install? Ideally with compressed sources on the CD.

I am interested. I've downloaded a knoppix iso. I'm emerging burning tools now. Any suggestions a good burner gui for KDE? I tried xcdroaster but couldn't figure out how to burn a plain iso.

Edit:
Am burning now using cdrecord. Added the following function to my .bashrc
Code:
burn () {
    sudo cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0,0 -data $1
}

chaos2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: knoppix installer Reply with quote

A good burner gui is eroaster or Arson
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: knoppix installer Reply with quote

joshmccormack wrote:
Do you use the info Knoppix generates from it's hardware detection?

That would be the idea. Possibly even setting USE and compile flags. The thing is that many people enjoy the manual install (I guess). And I found it fun myself the first 5 times.... Now I just want to plug in a CD and load up a generic gentoo, then rebuild the world.

When Knoppix loads onto the HD it doesn't do a very good job (compared to running off the CD). I really don't know enough about Debian but apparently the Knoppix install to a HD is supposed to turn into a debian system. It is close but not quite. Plus it seems that the configurations used on the CD aren't available after the HD Install.
TecHunter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to know if i can use adsl network connection after boot from the knoppix cd???
chadders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep you can.

gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT: if you're reinstalling, knoppix mounts drives according to their device name (/mnt/hda3, etc.) remember copying to dev/hda3 and /mnt/hda3 (however similar they look) is not the same. However, the xfs utils do a good job of restoring a corrumpted drive.
tandoori
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chadders:
or anyone else for that matter...

i've been playing aroudn with knoppix again so i can reinstall gentoo with a gui...anyway

i can't seem to get adsl working...i've searched all over the forums and internet the only docs i can find are in german and really dont make sense to me

with gentoo i just needed to adsl-setup
adsl-start

i use sympatico high speed (standard adsl with a user name and password and server assigns everything else)

i was wondering if someone could tell me how to get it working in knoppix so i can not render my computer useless for 2 days during my install
thanks guys!
tandoori
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha sorry guys i feel really stupid now

just fyi those of you who dont yet know

click on the K>system>dsl>dsl/pppoe config

wow i feel stupid
haha

sorry to bug you guys
thinair
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to active dma and ata transfert rate this seem not to be done under the knoppix I am using :

Code listing 3.4: Setting DMA

Replace hdX with your disk device.
# hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdX Enables DMA
# hdparm -d1 -A1 -m16 -u1 -a64 /dev/hdX
(Enables DMA and other safe performance-enhancing options)
# hdparm -X66 /dev/hdX
(Force-enables Ultra-DMA -- dangerous -- may cause some drives to mess up)
splat1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this :)

as the apci module in the live cd kernel hangs some net-cards knoppix is a nice way to get around this :)

yes you can copy knoppix to a hdd but you will need to take out the sym links in /boot that point to the ram disk

hardwear dection based on the knoppix way of doing it for a gentoo live/install cd would get rid of this silly problem affecting most AMD uses
TecHunter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've use knoppix to install gentoo several times,it's very good
Chadduss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to pull this thread out of the depths but to install gentoo through knoppix would you just boot "knoppix2" which will bring you to a command line and then just put in the gentoo live CD chroot and start the install?
TecHunter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadduss wrote:
I'm sorry to pull this thread out of the depths but to install gentoo through knoppix would you just boot "knoppix2" which will bring you to a command line and then just put in the gentoo live CD chroot and start the install?
i always boot from Knoppix 2 to command line env
Chadduss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if knoppix detects the hardware then would gentoo compile the module support into the kernel?
LumiNousiT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a very long time since my last post. I had some serious issues with a graphics card and a manufacturer that kept sending me the defective one back. Anyhoo, things seemed to have changed in the current version of Knoppix.

1.) You no longer need to sudo passwd to set the root password. Now all you need to do is type "su -" and you will switch to root user. Be warned it has no password. If this is a concern you should change it.

2.) Root's home in Knoppix is /root now and not /home/root so there is no longer any need for the usermod command. Makes the whole thing even easier. :P

I figured this out when I reinstalled after getting my replacement graphics card and hard drive.

Cheers,
LumiNousiT
XVaughnX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to give this a try, but.. well, pardon my n00b questions but...

Well, first off, my eth0 just wasn't working via the standard Gentoo install method, but with Knoppix autodetecting it (Knoppix runs off the CD 100%, asides from some sound problems) will Gentoo get it right too? If not, how do i look at Knoppix's settings and stick them in to Gentoo?

And I assume I can have the Knoppix CD in cda1, or whatever, and the Gentoo LiveCD with the tarballs in cda2, right?

:oops: Sorry, I just want to make sure before I jump in head first again, wasted a few hours trying to get Gentoo to work with my NIC/Microsoft router already.. looking forward to finally getting Gentoo running :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: