Can't recompile GCC with PaX hardened system [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aka.doode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Can't recompile GCC with PaX hardened system [SOLVED] Reply with quote

What I did:
1. Followed the instructions for enabling PaX in the kernel, emerged latest hardened-sources, added correct options and compiled the kernel (rebooted and loaded new kernel), added "-fstack-protector-all" to CFLAGS section in make.conf and "hardened pic" to the USE section.
2. I then tried to do a "emerge binutils gcc virtual/libc" to get a hardened toolchain. That didn't go that well..

What happens:
Code:
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler  works... configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use '--host'.
See 'config.log' for more details.
make[1]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3-r1/work/build'
make: *** [profiledbootstrap] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3-r1 failed
 !!! Function gcc_do_make, line1212, Exitcode 2
 !!! emake failed with profiledbootstrap

Additional information:
it seems lib32 is the culprit. This is what I found in /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3-r1/work/build/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/32/libstdc++-v3/config.log:
Code:
configure:2447: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:2453: ./a.out
./a.out: error while loading shared libraries: /lib32/libc.so.6: cannot apply additional memory protection after relocation: Permission denied

Things I've tried (which did not work)
* Removed "-fstack-protector-all" from the CFLAGS section in make.conf
* Changed GCC profile from "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3" to "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardened", using gcc-config and then ran source /etc/profile and env-update.
* Changed the symlink /etc/make.profile to point to /usr/portage/profiles/hardened/amd64
* USE="multilib" FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge gcc

Does anyone have any ideas what might fix this? I would greatly appreciate it, as my system is pretty broken right now (links works though, wee!) :(

Last edited by aka.doode on Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
aka.doode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having researched the issue even more (and not come up with anything remotely helpful) I tried emerging glibc first (worked) and then gcc. Although it still won't compile (neither with basic, nor hardened specs set with gcc-config), the error message is not the same as previously. I do think I've screwed up my system even more now though...

Bumpish: Does someone have any suggestions at all what causes the problems described in my original post, or is the only remaining thing to do to wipe the system and reinstall Gentoo? :(
aka.doode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reinstalled and got things to work. After having read about supported profiles I'm guessing things got out of hand because used the hardened/amd64 profile, which isn't listed in the "supported profiles" table.
makk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some solution :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: