View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netjunkie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: recompile of glibc crashes Reply with quote

Hi,

after following this guild everything works until step 7.2.4

Code:
 # emerge glibc binutils libstdc++-v3 gcc portage

it crashes on compile step 1, during the recompiling of glibc with the following error

---------

make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5/work/build-default-i586-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/linuxthreads/libpthread.so] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5/work/glibc-2.3.5/linuxthreads'
make[1]: *** [linuxthreads/others] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5/work/glibc-2.3.5'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.3.5 failed.
!!! Function toolchain-glibc_src_compile, Line 237, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

------------

any ideas

"Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain."
-Traditional Proverb.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No answers to support questions will be posted here. You need to use the Support Thread. :idea:
spidna
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Bob P installation guide Reply with quote

quick question on Bob P installation guide, after the installation do i have to emerge sync, emerge -u world, emerge xorg. i'm going to try that today night when i get home with a friends computer. going install windows xp , gentoo and centos. centos on /dev/hdb while other operating system would be on /dev/hda. I guess i'm going to use grub from centos, would not have to install grub on gentoo but fix the /etc/fstab. using ext3 filesystem.
Naveg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well....technically you dont HAVE to emerge xorg-X11.....but i think most people do ;)
Iron_DragonLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not really a support question but one about the installation method.

Are hotplug and coldplug really needed? My friend is using udev without them, and I just switched my server to udev and I did not emerge hotplug and coldplug, it seems to be working fine.
Iron_DragonLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, I answered my own question:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml#doc_chap2

Quote:
You do not need to install hotplug unless you want your modules automatically loaded when you plug devices in. hotplug also handles the automated bringup of network devices and firmware downloading.

If you want modules loaded for devices that have been plugged in before you boot, use the coldplug package:

Apparently then, hotplug and coldplug are optional, depending on your needs. Maybe this should be noted in the guides for other people? Although, generally, I suppose most people will want it.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:arrow: Problems Setting Hostname & Domainname

the new stable branch versions of baselayout have deprecated the use of /etc/hostname and /etc/dnsdomainname in favor of /etc/conf.d/hostname and /etc/conf.d/domainname. if you install/update to sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.12-r4 or later and you've used the deprecated /etc/hostname and /etc/dnsdomainname methods, you'll notice boot warnings. you can make them go away by following the second set of examples in Section 10.2 of the Stage 1/3 Guide.
slaterson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been going through this howto today and ran into the following error when doing an 'emerge -e system'. the error occurs on package dev-python/python-fchksum-1.7.1 (18 of 90 for emerge -e system).

Code:
running build
running build_ext
building 'fchksum' extension
creating build
creating build/temp.linux-i686-2.3
i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -O3 -march=pentium -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -fPIC -I/usr/include/python2.3 -c md5.c -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.3/md5.o
gcc-config error: Could not run/locate "i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc"
error: command 'i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc' failed with exit status 1

!!! ERROR: dev-python/python-fchksum-1.7.1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 20, Exitcode 1
!!! (no error message)

i've searched the forums but came up empty handed (maybe my search skills are lacking, though).

any clues? did i miss/screw up something along the way?

i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc does exist in /usr/bin

thanks,
slate
j-m
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slaterson wrote:

i've searched the forums but came up empty handed (maybe my search skills are lacking, though).

Try

Code:

gcc-config 1 && source /etc/profile && unset CHOST && emerge --resume -e system
slaterson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j-m wrote:
Try

Code:
gcc-config 1 && source /etc/profile && unset CHOST && emerge --resume -e system

The --resume option emerges nothing.

If I unset CHOST, won't that build for an older architecture? If thats true, how will it affect performance of my machine?

Thanks,
slate
rutski89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stage 1/3 Installation Guide for 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.4 Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
7.2.6 Summary

Although these command have been broken down into separate steps for the purpose of clarity, they can be concatenated into three steps. The one-liners in Steps 1 and 3 will take quite some time to complete, and represent good opportunities for you to take an extended break while Gentoo does its thing.

Step 1:Code:
# env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge gcc-config glibc binutils libstdc++-v3 gcc

Step 2: update your USE flags and CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf

Step 3:Code:
# gcc-config 5 && env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge glibc binutils libstdc++-v3 gcc portage && emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -P gcc
Whey do you have us run step 1, THEN add USE="nptl", then remerge? Would it make a difference if USE="nptl" was added before stelp 1?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slaterson wrote:
i have been going through this howto today and ran into the following error when doing an 'emerge -e system'. the error occurs on package dev-python/python-fchksum-1.7.1 (18 of 90 for emerge -e system).

Code:
running build
running build_ext
building 'fchksum' extension
creating build
creating build/temp.linux-i686-2.3
i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -O3 -march=pentium -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -fPIC -I/usr/include/python2.3 -c md5.c -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.3/md5.o
gcc-config error: Could not run/locate "i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc"
error: command 'i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc' failed with exit status 1

!!! ERROR: dev-python/python-fchksum-1.7.1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 20, Exitcode 1
!!! (no error message)

thanks,
slate

apparently you missed the notice not to post support requests here. you're supposed to post them in the support thread. just to drive the point home -- your question was answered long ago in the support thread. reading it would be to your benefit.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stage 1/3 Installation Guide for 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.4 Reply with quote

rutski89 wrote:
Bob P wrote:
7.2.6 Summary

Although these command have been broken down into separate steps for the purpose of clarity, they can be concatenated into three steps. The one-liners in Steps 1 and 3 will take quite some time to complete, and represent good opportunities for you to take an extended break while Gentoo does its thing.

Step 1:Code:
# env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge gcc-config glibc binutils libstdc++-v3 gcc

Step 2: update your USE flags and CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf

Step 3:Code:
# gcc-config 5 && env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge glibc binutils libstdc++-v3 gcc portage && emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -P gcc
Whey do you have us run step 1, THEN add USE="nptl", then remerge? Would it make a difference if USE="nptl" was added before stelp 1?

CFLAGS and USE FLAGS are updated in Step 2 because they are not supported by the GCC 3.3.5 compiler. you can't use them until you emerge GCC 3.4.3 or 3.4.4. :idea:
zendal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Need some changes Reply with quote

changes for grub due to 2.6.12 kernel
and splashutils due to themes are no longer included must emerge the themes
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Need some changes Reply with quote

zendal wrote:
changes for grub due to 2.6.12 kernel
and splashutils due to themes are no longer included must emerge the themes

your post isn't very clear. would you care to elaborate?
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means that with the 2.6.12 kernel series and the newest stable splashutils, warnings pop up during their emerge that say to re-emerge splashutils after upgrading to that new kernel, which the newest splashutils requires. Also, the splash themes are no longer included in the splashutils package; they must be separately emerged with, for example, emerge media-gfx/splash-themes-gentoo. And finally, the new splash needs to be rebuilt by another geninitramfs command.

Oh, and there are now several *required* boot options that must be appended to the appropriate grub entries, including new formats for the previous options present in this Guide. I've been following the splash/kernel developments, and here are the related threads:

gentoo-sources-2.6.12 borks fbsplash
Kernel upgrade - bootsplash broken
boot error, vesafb/splashutils related
fbsplash problems with 2.6.12-gentoo-r4
zendal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: FBSplash Reply with quote

I went back
2.6.11 kernel
0.94 grub
and emerged the themes

There is also error in the package.keywords he typed

Quote:
~sys-devel/gcc-3.4.4 ~x86
sys-devel/gcc-config ~x86
sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ~x86
sys-libs/glibc ~x86

Should be
Code:
sys-devel/gcc ~x86
sys-libs/glibc ~x86

For the package.mask if you want 2.6.11 and working grub
Code:
>sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.12
>sys-boot/grub-0.96

For the emergence them to be there
Code:
emerge splash-themes-gentoo

If you want more there is another theme file
Code:
emerge splash-themes-livecd
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: FBSplash Reply with quote

zendal wrote:
There is also error in the package.keywords he typed

Quote:
sys-libs/glibc ~x86

Should be
Code:
sys-devel/gcc ~x86
sys-libs/glibc ~x86

actually, the package keywords file is accurate as it exists in the Guide:
Code:
sys-libs/glibc ~x86

this version of the Guide is specifically desgned to install GCC 3.4.4 and no other version of the GCC compiler. the atom masking syntax used in the Guide's package.keywords file assures that only GCC 3.4.4 will be installed. although the less specific syntax that you have recommended works right now (because GCC 3.4.4 is the latest unmasked testing branch ebuild in the portage tree) it undermines the specificity of the Guide's approach by allowing any more recent testing branch versions of GCC that are not masked to be installed in its place once they enter the portage tree.

suffice it to say that i've chosen to use the syntax that is used in the Guide because it will remain correct forever. i chose to replace the syntax that i had previously used (the exact syntax that you had recommended) because it won't remain correct forever -- although it is right for now, eventually it will become wrong.

regarding the FB splash and kernel stuff: i haven't taken the time to investigate the idiosyncracies of the 2.6.12 kernels as related to framebuffer splash and the bugs that have been inherent in its implementation. i have had an open bug report on bugzilla about FB screenblanking errors that began with 2.6.9 kernels and have been persistent until now. supposedly, Spock's newest additions to the 2.6.12 kernels have fixed the nagging problem that has been persistent from 2.6.9 through 2.6.11, and it appears that they require an upgrade of both gensplash and grub in addition to a kernel upgrade to fix the bug. unfortunately, because 2.6.12 has been marked in the testing branch for most of its life, i haven't bothered to tinker with it. i just don't have time for testing branch kernels anymore. @nightmorph, thanks for those links that show all of the trouble i've been missing. :D

thank you @zendal for posting the updates to the Guide relating to the new kernels, FB utils, and grub, and also for the contribution about masking for people who want to stay with the older kernels.
kueitao
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions about some steps in the guide Reply with quote

Hello,

I have some questions about some steps in the guide that I don't understand.

(1) Why do we need to install libstdc++-v3? I know that when compiling gcc from sources, at least from version 3.4.0, the c++ library is automatically compiled at the same time. I've compiled lots of gcc-3.4.0 to gcc-4.0.0, with support for C,C++ and other languages, without ever undertaking any special actions with regard to libstdc++, except asking C++ support at configure. Is it perhaps because "emerge" doesn't work as a normal "configure && make (bootstrap) && make install" cicle?

(1.5) I have put parenthesys in "make bootstrap" because I want to know whether or not "emerge gcc" performs a real gcc bootstrap (three stages) or a simple make. How does it work?

(2) In section 7.2.4 (Rebuilding the System Toolkit) there's the following instruction:

# emerge -e system && emerge -e system

Why is it needed to repeat twice the same operation, seen that before that point we already have a new toolchain built with gcc-3.4.4? What am I missing?
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) IIRC, libstdc++ provides backward compatibility for the regular 3.3.x gcc series.

1.5) Emerging gcc is just that--compilation and installation of a package, not any special bootstrap per se.

2) This has been explained many times in the Stage 1/3 guides, the Jackass! Guide, and heilvc's correct toolchain thread. Please do look through those for detailed answers, but in short, recompiling the toolchain is necessary. Until that step, the only thing you have done is emerged a new toolchain and switched to that compiler. However, you have not yet begun using it; every package has been build with the wrong (read: OLD) gcc. Thus, now you have to recompile your packages in order to get immediate benefits of the new toolchain. If you do not recompile your system, then not only will it be somewhat unstable, but only future packages you emerge--like Gnome or AbiWord--will be built with the 3.4.4 toolchain. The rest of your system will still only be compiled from a 3.3.x toolchain, which is obviously undesirable.

Again, please search for the threads that I mentioned if you need further clarification; these questions come up over and over in those guides.
kueitao
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
1) IIRC, libstdc++ provides backward compatibility for the regular 3.3.x gcc series.

Why backward compatibility is needed? Don't we then re-compile all sources with 3.4.4? Don't we prune the gcc-3.3.5 compiler at section 7.2.5 (Prune the GCC Compiler) and then use only gcc-3.4.4 to "emerge -e system"?

Anyway I don't see any need to put re-compilation of an old libstdc++, even for compatibility (?!) reasons, in toolchain re-building, seen that it has got nothing to do with the workings of the new toolchain, it has nothing to do with newly compiled glibc and binutils too, so I think is plain wrong. (I would add that even name the toolchain as a "toolkit" is misbehaviour and potentially misconducting).

Quote:
1.5) Emerging gcc is just that--compilation and installation of a package, not any special bootstrap per se.

No, I'm sorry it's not true. I have now noticed that gcc is completely bootstapped, no simple "make". The command I see with "ps aux" is "make profiledbootstrap" (three stages + profile collection) that is a very different thing than "make".

Quote:
2) This has been explained many times in the Stage 1/3 guides, the Jackass! Guide, and heilvc's correct toolchain thread. Please do look through those for detailed answers, but in short, recompiling the toolchain is necessary. Until that step, the only thing you have done is emerged a new toolchain and switched to that compiler. However, you have not yet begun using it; every package has been build with the wrong (read: OLD) gcc. Thus, now you have to recompile your packages in order to get immediate benefits of the new toolchain. If you do not recompile your system, then not only will it be somewhat unstable, but only future packages you emerge--like Gnome or AbiWord--will be built with the 3.4.4 toolchain. The rest of your system will still only be compiled from a 3.3.x toolchain, which is obviously undesirable.

I am not speaking about the toolchain re-compilation, at all. What makes you to think that? At that point, that is at the end of section 7.2.4, we have already been said to rebuild the toolchain. So I am not speaking about the need to rebuild the toolchain, that is correct!

I am objecting about the need to do "emerge -e system && emerge -e system", that is after toolchain re-building with the new gcc-3.4.4. This means that we compile gcc, glibc e binutils FOUR times in total. Twice is correct, four times is again plain wrong and wasting of precious time.

What's more important is that there is no need I can imagine to "emerge system" twice, one after another as showed by "emerge system && emerge system". Whay do you think is it not enough to issue "emerge system", I mean only once? Every source at this point would be compiled by the new toolchain, the one that has already been rebuilt, and I think there would no difference in executables if you issue either a simple "emerge system" or "emerge system && emerge system && emerge system && ...". Doing it twice or more is plain wrong.

I have further noticed that in the other guide, Stage 1/3 Installation for Gentoo 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.3, that in the same section (7.2.5) there aren't the same mistakes. Just one of them ("-e" option). Please take a look at that. There is only ONE "emerge -e system" after toolchain re-building.

So, why do you think there are these differences between the "Installation 1/3 with gcc-3.4.3" and "Installation 1/3 with gcc-3.4.4"?

Quote:
Again, please search for the threads that I mentioned if you need further clarification; these questions come up over and over in those guides.

I'm sorry, but I am not able to find answers about the above-mentioned issues in this guide as you say they have been trated. Don't know what is the "Jackass" and how this topic is related to this guide.

Anyway I would like to hear on the above-mentioned issues from the guide's author too, if He is available to argue about his choices and explain them.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kueitao wrote:
I am not speaking about the toolchain re-compilation, at all. What makes you to think that? At that point, that is at the end of section 7.2.4, we have already been said to rebuild the toolchain. So I am not speaking about the need to rebuild the toolchain, that is correct!

No, you are still incorrect. Please read step 7.2 carefully. Nowhere does it say that the toolchain has been rebuilt in 7.2.4--and yes, this is the gcc 3.4.3 guide, but the two are procedurally identical except for the particular gcc version used, that's all. The heading for the entire section is "rebuilding the toolchain" which is what will happen--NOT that it has been done by step 7.2.4. Prior to that step, the only thing that has been done is the new toolchain has been emerged. It has not yet begun to be rebuilt. Now that it is unmasked, it is installed. And then you need to start recompiling your system--which has still built only with 3.3.x to this point--in order to take advantage of it. Ignore any section title text that says "rebuilding" up through 7.2.4 and just look at the content of each step. Nowhere is there any recompiling, only the emergence of masked ~x86 toolchain packages. You really need to examine the procedure more carefully and not jump to conclusions.

The point of each successive emerge -e system is to verify that all the code is produced from gcc 3.4 and its supporting components. But this is not possible with only a simple emerge gcc binutils gcc-config glibc. See, since the new tools themselves were compiled with 3.3.x, they can only optimize the existing system code up to a certain point when you do the first emerge -e system. At that point they've rebuilt themselves but still only suboptimally. It takes the next few emerge -e system/world commands in order to remove any hint of the original 3.3.x compilation. Please read this thread to hear the more technical explanation of why this is necessary.
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I am not able to find answers about the above-mentioned issues in this guide as you say they have been trated. Don't know what is the "Jackass" and how this topic is related to this guide.

See the link in my signature. Jackass! provides a canned version of this stage 1/3 install, but all the compiling has been done in advance. Same CFLAGS and NPTL advantages, but we took the trouble to compile everything ahead of time, so that your hardware is spared the abuse of recompiling. Really, though, if you don't think you have time to be recompiling or compiling at all, Gentoo might not be the best solution for your needs. Note that as Bob mentioned, anytime there is an update to one of the toolchain components, you will need to spend some time rebuilding your system, including a few emerge -e system commands, in order to reap the benefits of the new package.
Dark_Cloud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but i still disagree with you... in 7.2.4 Rebuilding the System Toolkit the toolkit was totally rebuilt and at the final of that we had a working gcc-3.4.4 and all the packages (of course) built with gcc-3.3.5. When we performe the emerge -e system we are compiling all the packages including the gcc with the existing gcc-3.4.4... so after that we have a system totally built with gcc-3.4.4... it isn't necessary to use emerge -e system again.

sorry about my poor english, trying to develop it :wink:

cheers:D

E17 cuz it's CUTE and FAST! Just Get-E
kueitao
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry about my poor English, as Dark_Cloud is. It seems I am not able to drive nightmorph to the point. Except for the issues related to the old libstdc++ and the "make (profiled)bootstrap", for which He didn't reply to my last post, I suppose...

Please read carefully the following from Dark _Cloud. I hope He is better than me in showing the issue:

Dark_Cloud wrote:
Sorry, but i still disagree with you... in 7.2.4 Rebuilding the System Toolkit the toolkit was totally rebuilt and at the final of that we had a working gcc-3.4.4 and all the packages (of course) built with gcc-3.3.5. When we performe the emerge -e system we are compiling all the packages including the gcc with the existing gcc-3.4.4... so after that we have a system totally built with gcc-3.4.4... it isn't necessary to use emerge -e system again.

sorry about my poor english, trying to develop it :wink:

cheers:D

I'll try even a better approach by pasting from the guides. Please remind that I'm interested only in installation with gcc-3.4.4 that is the one I argue it is wrong.

The first quote is from installation with gcc-3.4.3 and it is the one I consider good , except for the "-e" option:

Quote:

7.2.5 Rebuilding the System Toolkit

Now its time to rebuild the toolkit. We'll start off by recompiling glibc, binutils, gcc, and by updating portage. This will rebuild our GCC 3.4.3 compiling toolkit (which had previuosly been compiled with GCC 3.3.5) with the GCC 3.4.3 compiler, taking advantage of our new USE flags and CFLAGS compiler settings.

Code:

# emerge glibc binutils gcc portage

Upon completion of the rebuild of the compiling toolkit, we will recompile the entire system to assure that our entire toolkit has been compiled using GCC 3.4.3 and our hardware-specific settings.

The result will be a 3.4.3 tooklit and an entire system that is built with a 3.4.3 toolkit, that was built with a 3.4.3 toolkit.

Code:

# emerge -e system

The second quote is from installation with gcc-3.4.4 and it is the one I consider to be wrong :

Quote:

7.2.4 Rebuilding the System Toolkit

Now its time to rebuild the toolkit. We'll start off by recompiling glibc, binutils, gcc, and by updating portage. This will rebuild our GCC 3.4.4 compiling toolkit (which had previuosly been compiled with GCC 3.3.5) with the GCC 3.4.4 compiler, taking advantage of our new USE flags and CFLAGS compiler settings.

Code:

# emerge glibc binutils libstdc++-v3 gcc portage

Upon completion of the rebuild of the compiling toolkit, we will recompile the entire system to assure that our entire toolkit has been compiled using GCC 3.4.4 and our hardware-specific settings.

The result will be a 3.4.4 tooklit and an entire system that is built with a 3.4.4 toolkit, that was built with a 3.4.4 toolkit.

Code:

# emerge -e system && emerge -e system

Do you, nightmorph, see the differences between them? The two guides aren't identical despite what you assert... How can you explain it? Furthermore from the first guide you can see that there's no need for an old libstdc++ installation as I pointed out even before reading that document (installation with gcc-3.4.3), because I was only trying an installation with gcc-3.4.4.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the answer: STATICALLY RETAINED LIBRARIES.

the need to perform redundant compilations to purge the system of statically retained libraries is a well established fact. those who understand the nature of the problem accept the need for redundant compilation. those who do not understand the nature of the problem tend to be the ones who start agruments about it.

if the guide doesn't suit your needs, you don't have to use it. but please, don't use your theoretical explanations to try to prove that the guide is wrong. over 100,000 people have installed using this method. it started off in theory using methods similar to what you are suggesting, and it has refined to its current state of revision by trial and error. the guide is written the way it is written because that method results in a system that works reliably. the suggestions that you are arguing would result in a system that would not work reliably.

please try to accept the fact that the Guide is written the way it is because this is the way that you have to do it. please don't argue that the Guide needs to be changed just because you don't fully understand what the Guide is doing. we've had 100,000+ test builds refine the installation method, and we won't consider changing it just because a couple of people who don't understand our methods start an argument about it.

the reasons for the steps are clearly outlined in the hundreds of pages of posts in the multiple threads related to this installation method. if you don't understand what is being done and why it is being done, please don't ask us to explain it for you. everything has already been well documented, and all that you need to do is read the threads to understand the logic.

best of luck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: