View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zmedico
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the follow-up Reply with quote

fcgreg wrote:
Are you joking? Why should external tools be required for something that is core to the system itself (ewarn, einfo), that so many people are requesting, and could be so helpful to so many?

IMO an ebuild would be sufficient. You could "emerge einfo" or something.

fcgreg wrote:
Now I'm confused. Are you just busting my chops here and trying to be a jerk? I was making a simple point and asking a simple question, but your response hasn't even tried to provide an answer. What's the deal?

Relax, that was nothing :wink: .

fcgreg wrote:
Does anyone actually have an answer to the question, or does everyone here in the Gentoo community want to belittle others that are asking for help? I've noticed a disturbing trend like this lately.

That certainly is disturbing but I wouldn't worry too much about those jerks :D .
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone in another thread gave an explaination of enotice and the other notice pager. Ones in bash and one is in python but uses undocumented hacks that could/will break portage-2.1 which apparently has about 6 or 7 different ways of delivering the enotices, email syslogs etc. Maybe we should start a protest to releash 2.1 soonest :wink:
RiverRat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: That Darned libcom_err.so.3 Reply with quote

I have upgraded to gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre4 in an attempt to fix this problem but I didn't help. I have an infinite loop kinda thing going on here. everytime I run revdep-rebuild I get the same output and actions. Shown below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thor make.profile # revdep-rebuild
Configuring search environment for revdep-rebuild

Checking reverse dependencies...

Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by a package update
will be emerged.

Collecting system binaries and libraries... done.
(/root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files)

Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... done.
(/root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath)

Checking dynamic linking consistency...
broken /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/gtk/themes/engines/libpixmap.so (requires libgdk_imli
b.so.1)
broken /usr/kde/3.3/lib/kde3/kio_http.so (requires libcom_err.so.3)
done.
(/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)

Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
(/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)

Evaluating package order... done.
(/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)

All prepared. Starting rebuild...
emerge --oneshot =app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-gtklibs-2.1
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-gtklibs-2.1 to /

.... Much stuff ....

>>> original instance of package unmerged safely.
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-gtklibs-2.1 merged.

>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

>>> Auto-cleaning packages ...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
* IMPORTANT: 4 config files in /etc need updating.
* Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.

Build finished correctly. Removing temporary files...
You can re-run revdep-rebuild to verify that all libraries and binaries
are fixed. If some inconsistency remains, it can be orphaned file, deep
dependency, binary package or specially evaluated library.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Down grading to mit-krb5-1.3.6-r2 failed to resolve the issue. Hours later I tried removing the offending packages but that really upset revdep-rebuild (more packages) and mplayer32 stopped working. So I'm back to where I was.

Any other ideas anyone?
zmedico
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: That Darned libcom_err.so.3 Reply with quote

boater wrote:
I have upgraded to gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre4 in an attempt to fix this problem but I didn't help. I have an infinite loop kinda thing going on here. everytime I run revdep-rebuild I get the same output and actions.

Try this and let us know

Code:
revdep-rebuild --soname libcom_err.so.3

frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seemant wrote:
But now in this thread I see that revdep-rebuild doesn't even work. For those willing does:

revdep-rebuild --soname libcom_err.so.3 work? Because if so, I'll happily change the postinst messages to be more specific.

Not for me. The fun thing is, it wants to re-emerge mit-krb5-1.3.6-r2 and then breaks. It also wants to rebuild firefox, which did not seem to be broken (well, at least it worked). At least it detects openssh as broken...
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: That Darned libcom_err.so.3 Reply with quote

boater wrote:

Down grading to mit-krb5-1.3.6-r2 failed to resolve the issue. Hours later I tried removing the offending packages but that really upset revdep-rebuild (more packages) and mplayer32 stopped working. So I'm back to where I was.

Any other ideas anyone?

Well, downgrading to mit-krb5-1.3.6-r2 worked for me, though it is not really a viable option since it's a security hole. But I had to do this since the new kerberos version breaks Samba, see https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98303.

After downgrading and rebuilding what I found out to be broken (most notably openssh and samba, of course) the systems are working again.
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For heaven's sake, mit-krb5-1.3.6-r2 vanished from portage. I guess you're out of luck, guys. If you still have it in your portage tree, copy it to your overlay or it will be gone!

Filed bug #98848.
fcgreg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgi wrote:
For heaven's sake, mit-krb5-1.3.6-r2 vanished from portage. I guess you're out of luck, guys. If you still have it in your portage tree, copy it to your overlay or it will be gone!

Filed bug #98848.

I haven't confirmed this yet, but this probably was removed today due to an extremely severe security vulnerability with this package. A ticket was just entered and resolved for mit-krb5 in Bugzilla today.

It is possible that these fixes cannot easily be backported to the older versions. I suggest checking your newly synced ChangeLog for that package for details:
Code:
less /usr/portage/app-crypt/mit-krb5/ChangeLog

frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcgreg wrote:
I haven't confirmed this yet, but this probably was removed today due to an extremely severe security vulnerability with this package. A ticket was just entered and resolved for mit-krb5 in Bugzilla today.

I do not care at all. If I have to chose running with a security hole in a network I almost completely trust (paranoia means you never trust) or not running at all, I chose the security hole.

I have a production environment here. Using mit-krb-1.4.1 breaks Samba which in turn breaks my production chain. I am f*cked without. There is *no* other option for me.
fcgreg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: I understand your frustration Reply with quote

wgi wrote:
I do not care at all. If I have to chose running with a security hole in a network I almost completely trust (paranoia means you never trust) or not running at all, I chose the security hole.

I have a production environment here. Using mit-krb-1.4.1 breaks Samba which in turn breaks my production chain. I am f*cked without. There is *no* other option for me.

I totally understand your frustration. I was just trying to provide some possible background to help you in your search for "what happened".

Did the ChangeLog say anything about it? I haven't synced today...
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: I understand your frustration Reply with quote

fcgreg wrote:
I totally understand your frustration. I was just trying to provide some possible background to help you in your search for "what happened".

Did the ChangeLog say anything about it? I haven't synced today...

I did not mean to offend you. I hope you didn't feel like I did. It's just that I really don't care, meaning it has to *work* in the first place. Breakage means production halts. Nothing I'd ever want.

I'm just trying the new version (-r2) on my workstation and a server testbed. I doubt it'll suddenly work, though :(
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. This is a complete mess. After building the mit-krb5-1.4.1-r2 I got major b0rkage.

revdep-rebuild wants to rebuild mit-krb5, which fails. remerging com_err build libcom_err.so.2, but ssh wants .so.3. No idea how to sort this mess out. This sucks so much, I can't describe it.

At least I managed to compile mit-krb5 again. I have no idea why, but it worked. Now I'll try to resolve the breakage. If I do, I might finally have a look at Samba. If that does not work ... well, I' screwed again.
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I thought. Managed to rebuild new kerberos and Samba and have still the same problem I filed as bug #98303.
fcgreg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: I understand your frustration Reply with quote

wgi wrote:
... I did not mean to offend you. I hope you didn't feel like I did. ...

Nope, no worries at all.

Sorry to hear about your problem. You spurred me to do some late-night upgrading on my own stuff as well. :-)

Fortunately everything is compiling for me properly. I was hoping to provide some insight for you, but I cannot reproduce what you're seeing. Sorry. Perhaps some other dependant packages on your system are out-of-date? What do you get when you run:
Code:
emerge -uDNvp system

Also, I found out what happened to the old versions of the mit-krb5. The ChangeLog reports that it was removed by Seemant earlier today:
Code:
12 Jul 2005; Seemant Kulleen <seemant@gentoo.org>
  -files/mit-krb5-1.3.6-64bit.patch, -files/mit-krb5-1.3.6-gcc4.patch,
  -files/mit-krb5-1.3.6-telnet.patch.bz2, -mit-krb5-1.3.6-r2.ebuild,
  -mit-krb5-1.4.1.ebuild, +mit-krb5-1.4.1-r1.ebuild:
  revision bump straight to stable for all architectures. This fixes two
  security holes, as per bug #98799 by Thierry Carrez <koon@gentoo.org>

It looks like it was removed in accordance with the security release as I suspected, but no specific information is given as to why.
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I read about that, too. Unfortunately. Well, I have two bugs open now. I just hope to get this resolved soon...
ph03n1x
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
FEATURES="-sandbox"  revdep-rebuild --soname libcom_err.so.3

Did the trick here. Had to use -sandbox because mc constantly failed with a "access_rw: /etc/krb5.conf" and since it's in baselayout I couldn't exclude it from revdep.

hth

btw it might take some hours ...
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ph03n1x wrote:
Code:
FEATURES="-sandbox"  revdep-rebuild --soname libcom_err.so.3

hth

btw it might take some hours ...

I tried that once. Completely crazed. That was one or two days ago. It wanted to re-merge the *old* krb5 version along with some stuff that wouldn't be broken if I had still used the old version <lol>.

Well I managed to resolve the breakage (as far as I can see at least), but now I am left with a non-functional Samba, again, and a PHP breaking with not finding libcrypto. Still have to find out what that is about.

Which is basically not an inch better than before and a whole lot worse than it used to be.
ph03n1x
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When u want to use the old mit-krb do it like aceFruchtsacht recommended, that worked here as well...
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ph03n1x wrote:
When u want to use the old mit-krb do it like aceFruchtsacht recommended, that worked here as well...

Yes. Of course. But now the old version was pulled from portage, so you'd either have to be lucky to still have it or get it from CVS or edit the ebuild to produce the odler version.
napoleonb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgi wrote:
ph03n1x wrote:

Yes. Of course. But now the old version was pulled from portage, so you'd either have to be lucky to still have it or get it from CVS or edit the ebuild to produce the odler version.

All older versions of mit-krb5 were pulled out of portage because of a severe vulnerability from what I understood in that thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=358894
ph03n1x
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup it's in the news everywhere :)
Arenium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: When all else fails.... Reply with quote

This is a post-old-ebuild-removed-from-portage incarnation of aceFruchtsaft's approach mentioned here. If you're the type that would rather have working + security hole rather than not working at all, read on.* YMMV, as always:

1. We want to wipe the slate clean to start from, so to speak...
Code:
# emerge -C mit-krb5 ss com_err

2. Now, since the 1.3.6 ebuild(s) were removed from portage and the distfiles are seldom retained on any mirrors, you'll have to get them elsewhere. In this case, from Seemant's amalgamation of files online. Download these: ebuild Distfile.

3. Now, copy the aforementioned files into their proper places: /usr/portage/app-crypt/mit-krb5/ and /usr/portage/distfiles, respectively.

4. Now we need to mask out the 1.4 ebuilds, as aceFruchsaft recommended:
Code:
/etc/portage/package.mask:

>=app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.4.0

5. Create digest, emerge, and attempt to unbork. **
Code:
# ebuild /usr/portage/app-crypt/mit-krb5/mit-krb5-1.3.6-r3.ebuild digest
# emerge mit-krb5
...[ See note IV]****
# rm ~/.revdep-rebuild.*
# revdep-rebuild -p
...[ See note III] ***
# revdep-rebuild
...Check if working (one way)...
# /etc/init.d/sshd restart && ssh node

* NOTE I): Once again, this is by no means a final solution. The ebuild was removed from Portage for a reason, folks. This is for "mission-critical deployment" scenarios only </buzzword hell>. Or, as in my case, somebody very eager without a care in the world :P.

** NOTE II): If your compile fails due to some missing Perl binary error, you may have to try something like this...
Code:
# cd /usr/bin && ln -s perl5.8.6 perl

*** NOTE III): The version of gentoolkit -- the package providing revdep-rebuild -- used throughout this process is version gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre4. So, if you don't have this yet...
Code:
# echo "app-portage/gentoolkit ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
# emerge -av gentoolkit

**** NOTE IV): If you encouter an EPATCH error saying mit-krb5-1.4.1-lazyldflags.patch can't be found, you'll have to edit the ebuild
Code:
# Around line 44 in mit-krb5-1.3.6-r3.ebuild

patch ${FILESDIR}/${PN}1.4.1-lazyldflags.patch

# Change this to

patch ${FILESDIR}/${PN}-lazyldflags.patch

---
This is the exact method I followed, and now everything seems to be in order: SSH, PHP, etc.

Last edited by Arenium on Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: When all else fails.... Reply with quote

Well, Seemant Kulleen was so nice to backport the security fix to 1.3.6.

There should be a 1.3.6-r3 in portage soon. I have tested it and it works for me. He's goig to try and sort out the fuzz with 1.4.1, too, so expect more to come.
Arenium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks for the update.
fcgreg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: When all else fails.... Reply with quote

wgi wrote:
Well, Seemant Kulleen was so nice to backport the security fix to 1.3.6.

There should be a 1.3.6-r3 in portage soon. I have tested it and it works for me. He's goig to try and sort out the fuzz with 1.4.1, too, so expect more to come.

That is absolutely top-notch. What a community. Thanks to Semmant for the effort, and to you for the update.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: