Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[OLD] Intel Cotulla PXA255 become [NEW] CerfPod 255SE Cool!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.Dran
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: [OLD] Intel Cotulla PXA255 become [NEW] CerfPod 255SE Cool! Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I have the fortune to take that board for experiments... but what's the trouble? I'm a very very newbe for the embedded systems, I search for documentation for gentoo to make a cross-compiling system for developing systems & application for the embedded PXA device. Have someone made the same experience? Any url, docs and other docuemntation are very welcome!

P.S. Excuse me for my worst english :P :wink:

Last edited by Dr.Dran on Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DranXXX,

There is a linux installl for PXA at www.handhelds.org. The PXA is used in things like iPaqs.
There are also some cross compilers there and scripts to build one of your own cross toolchains.

Good luck.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Dr.Dran
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the information, I have found in portage a package called "crossdev", that seems a package that built cross-toolchain utilities... but there is a lack of documentation, does anyone could help me?

And that packages may help me to build a developmente enviroment for PXA's chips?
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crossdev is pretty simple to use. I'm guessing, that if the PXA is related to machines like the iPaq, then it's running an Intel StrongARM architecture.

Code:
# [b]crossdev -t arm-unknown-linux-gnu[/b]

That should give you a Linux/arm cross compiler, which you can use to build up a userland. µClibc's buildroot utility will be handy too, it also builds cross-compilers. http://buildroot.uclibc.org/
Simply unpack the buildroot tarball, then type make menuconfig, set everything up, then run make.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Dr.Dran
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx my friends, now I'm going to work and to built the enviroment, but if someone else have another kind of informatin please tell me more...

P.S. There is any developer for the ARM/STRONGARM achitecture on gentoo, because I have seen the zynot project dead...
I'm very intentioned to begin the support of that architecture, but I guess that not be the one 8O :D
Dr.Dran
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Now I'm the lucky owner of a Cerfpod 255SE!!! 8O 8O 8O :D :D :D

Redhatter wrote:
crossdev is pretty simple to use. I'm guessing, that if the PXA is related to machines like the iPaq, then it's running an Intel StrongARM architecture.
Code:

That should give you a Linux/arm cross compiler, which you can use to build up a userland. µClibc's buildroot utility will be handy too, it also builds cross-compilers. http://buildroot.uclibc.org/
Simply unpack the buildroot tarball, then type make menuconfig, set everything up, then run make.

Well I try the build root script, and I was impressed for the semplicity of the installation and bilding of the image and the cross-compiling tools... and I decide to study a metod to implement a tool similar to build root to utilize the powerfull emerge like crossdev... do you have any suggestions before I start the project? Opinions are welcome :D
- President of ImoLUG [Imola & Faenza Linux User Group]
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DranXXX wrote:
YEahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Now I'm the lucky owner of a Cerfpod 255SE!!! 8O 8O 8O :D :D :D

Redhatter wrote:
Code:

Well I try the build root script, and I was impressed for the semplicity of the installation and bilding of the image and the cross-compiling tools... and I decide to study a metod to implement a tool similar to build root to utilize the powerfull emerge like crossdev... do you have any suggestions before I start the project? Opinions are welcome :D

I believe there is already work being done to support this in Portage.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/CROSS-COMPILE-SYSTEM
http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/CROSS-COMPILE-HOWTO

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: