Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
best sound solution?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sphexn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: best sound solution? Reply with quote

Hi!

What sound driver should I use? At the moment I am using the alsa-driver, but I got the impression that the sound stutters often when I am playing mp3s from my fat32 partition...

What driver do you prefer? Are the kernel implementet drivers better? And how can i use all 4 boxes? (I have a SBLive! Player 1024 with the alsa-driver/snd-emu10k1...)

thx & greets,

sphex
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: best sound solution? Reply with quote

sphexn wrote:
Hi!

What sound driver should I use? At the moment I am using the alsa-driver, but I got the impression that the sound stutters often when I am playing mp3s from my fat32 partition...

What driver do you prefer? Are the kernel implementet drivers better? And how can i use all 4 boxes? (I have a SBLive! Player 1024 with the alsa-driver/snd-emu10k1...)

thx & greets,

sphex

I have far less hassle and far superior sound (not to mention better mixer support) with the native kernel support for the SoundBlaster Live. IOW, getting rid of Alsa altogether and recompiling the kernel.

Problem is, a serious number of libraries and executables on your system will be linked to libasound.la (Alsa) and will need remerging once Alsa is removed.

Search back and you'll see what a nightmare it has been for some to finally remove all trace of Alsa. Provided you can grep your disk for all files containing the text 'libasound.la', then use:

Code:

qpkg -f <filename>

...to find out which ebuild owns it. You can make a list of all affected ebuilds and rebuild them. Just make sure you've got a day (or two) to spare. ;-)
sphexn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx, then I will do it that way... but two question:

1. how can I see which files re linked to alsa? I'm not very good in such things, sorry for bothering you... (how can I "search back"? I installed alsa today after compiling the kernel without sblive support... the day before I had problems with installing the alsa drivers because of this...)

2. can I use my 4 boxes with the kernel driver?

greets & thx,

sphex
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: