Static Useflag by default ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iBormuth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Static Useflag by default ? Reply with quote

My notebook recently failed to reboot after running "emerge -uD world" which upgraded libaal to 1.0.4. Reiser4progs still linked to "/lib/libaal-1.0.so.3.0.0" which had been removed and died.
I know I could have been run revdep-rebuild. Nevertheless I thought about adding the static useflag to make.conf to prevent similar situations in the future (especially on the remote server).
I found that static is used by about 200 packages including also bigger applications as opera, evolution, mysql (see http://public.efil.de/static.txt for list).
Why is static not a default? Wouldn't that especially make sense on servers. Is there any disadvantage using it globally? Why is it not reserved for vital packages?

Thanks.
erikm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disadvantage is pretty obvious; the "static" flag completely defeats the whole idea of dynamic linking. It would cause binaries to bloat enormously. However, reading your post I think it should be set as default for certain crucial packages, like the filesystem programs.

EDIT: Should'nt an -uD rebuild the programs dependent on packages it upgrades? I would say that is where the problem is...
iBormuth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 Packages out of 8000 on my system (with most of the 200 being vital ones) suggests a intention to use static as default. Does anybody know of any official statement on the toppic?

Quote:
Should'nt an -uD rebuild the programs dependent on packages it upgrades? I would say that is where the problem is...

Yes, that's true. Dependencies are build first. If the original package fails to build correctly afterwards (what happens quite frequently if you use feature test) the dependency is lost (as described above).
iBormuth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't there be two flags (e. g. static and critical) to clearify things ?
Critical would also build static but would only be used for boot and login critical packages as fsch or ssh.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: