View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sleeping_Sloth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Dual boot windows / Gentoo on RAID 0 ? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on these forums, and sadly I need some advice.

A little about what I do and what I know... I use my machine for web development, cad and 3d modelling.
I've used RH9 in the past, but it was never really good enough for me to consider migrating to for good - and as a result, I'd still consider myself a n00b.

I've just invested in a Tyan S2895 Motherboard, dual Opteron 248s, dual 80GB SATA2 hard drives (raid 0 with NVRAID)

So, following the dual-boot method I used with RH9, I installed windows on the first 99GB across the 2 disks.

I have been following the gentoo install docs, but I am now having problems with the fstab.

When I run fdisk dev/hda, I get the following output:

You will not be able to write the partition table.
Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)
Device contains neither a valid DOS partition, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklablel.
Building a new DOS disklabel. Change will remain in memory only...<continues>

Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite).

If I print the partition table, I get the following:
disk: /dev/hda: 369 MB, 369178624 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 11 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 2048 = 32901120 bytes

the fstab itself is blank.

My first question is: why does hda only report 369MB?

My second question is - how do I go about dual-booting from here? it seems I am unable to edit the fstab. I have found some how-to's, but none of them mention the dual-boot and raid together (and I am also unsure as to whether this is technically a software or hardware raid - I *think* it's software, despite the fact it uses the nvidia chipset (?) - can someone confirm that for me too please?)

I couldnt find anything else like this on the forums, and I only ask because I cant really afford to lose the contents of my windows partition .

Thanks in advance for any help - it'll be well appreciated. Hopefully soon I will be a *proper* distro user, as opposed to just a sympathiser :)

Sloth out

Last edited by Sleeping_Sloth on Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Sleeping_Sloth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been scratching around, and thanks to dmesg, I have realised that I should be dealing with sda and sdb, not hda and hdb.

So why do I have odd readings from hda and hdb?

Anyway - only sdb has any partition on it according to fdisk - I would have thought a raid 0 windows partition would register on both drives??

At least they are both reporting the 82 GB they should be I suppose.

Can anyone offer me some advice as to proceed then?

Thanks,

SLoth out
Sleeping_Sloth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd heard the Gentoo forums were the best out there - friendly and helpful.

But... 40 odd views, and nobody can be bothered to answer a simple question like this, or even post a simple 'welcome to the boards?'

Maybe this isn't the distro for me after all!

SLoth out
markkuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start by reading the SATA RAID FAQ. Search the forum archives for installation with dmraid drivers. Any other distro will have the same problems with the fake-RAID.
cconroy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: RAID Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'm a n00b as well and can't offer you much help for installing this. Hopefully someone else can take care of that.

However, I would like to offer some advice. I used to run my desktop with two 160gig drives in a RAID 0 array (to speed up gaming, development, etc). I had read all about how RAID 0 speeds up your access times, etc. and thought it was great.

Until one of the drives failed.

Rescuing a RAID 0 system is the most hellish nightmare of computer tech support I've ever had (and I fix a lot of other peoples' computers). To do anything to the system you need to get your RAID drivers loaded, and pretty much any hard drive recovery toolset I could find didn't even touch a raid array.

You are DOUBLING your chances of total, catastrophic hard drive failure with a RAID 0. If you just keep the two drives seperate, then if one drive fails, you still have a perfectly good drive on the other.

I've since switched to Gentoo on one physical drive, Windows XP (for gaming) on the other drive. It's a great insurance policy because if one drive mechanically fails, I've got a complete working system off the other drive. Moreover, the performance drop from switching away was really negligable. If someone had turned the RAID off without telling me I would not have been able to know by the speed of the system. It feels pretty much the same. Yes, disk access is a bit slower. Yes, it will take you a bit longer to copy a huge file. But RAID IMHO creates a lot of unnecessary headaches, and unless you want to invest in a RAID 5 it's pretty much useless.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeping_Sloth wrote:
I'd heard the Gentoo forums were the best out there - friendly and helpful.

But... 40 odd views, and nobody can be bothered to answer a simple question like this, or even post a simple 'welcome to the boards?'

Maybe this isn't the distro for me after all!

SLoth out

So, how much did you say you paid for support again? :wink:

Anyway, it looks like /dev/hda is your cdrom drive. So try fdisk /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc. Or even /dev/sda if you have sata.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
rawc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Getting Gentoo installed on your motherboard raid solution.. Reply with quote

Well, let me start off by saying that it is possible to get Gentoo Linux installed in a multi-boot environment on your motherboard/software/fake raid. I know, because I went through the same thing about two weeks ago and was frustrated with the fact that nobody had posted comprehensive information on the subject. I had to dig around, piece things together, and go through some trial and error in order to get the installation to work. It's really not that hard either, it's just that there's a lack of information out there.

I haven't written up any good documentation on the install process yet (I'm planning on creating a gentoo wiki on the subject), but I will try and give you enough information to get started.

Sleeping_Sloth wrote:

Anyway - only sdb has any partition on it according to fdisk - I would have thought a raid 0 windows partition would register on both drives??

That's normal for fdisk to only see a partition table on one of your /dev/sd* drives with your motherboard raid, and even then it won't read the partition table correctly. The reason is that you need to have raid specific device nodes created in the '/dev/mapper' directory instead of trying to access the drives through /dev/sd*. So how do you do that? Well, the answer is using dmraid and device mapper utilities.

SIDE NOTE: I explain how to set things up using the normal Gentoo LiveCD's. Some people may recommend using the gen2dmraid livecd located here, but it's really not needed. You can do everything you need to with the regular livecd's.

First, let me explain a little about the dmraid utility, then I'll explain how to get your raid device nodes created when using the Gentoo 2005.0 LiveCD's. 'dmraid' is just a utility that finds information about your software raid and then uses that information along with the 'dmsetup' (device mapper setup) utility to actually create your raid device nodes in /dev/mapper. Interestingly enough, you don't even need the 'dmraid' utility to get your software raid working, because 'dmsetup' itself can be used to create the device nodes in /dev/mapper. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use the dmraid utility (because you should), but I just though it was interesting to find in my research that dmraid plays a much smaller part in getting software raid working than I thought it did...the device mapper modules in the kernel actually do most of the work. So, on to how you can get your raid devices to show up in /dev/mapper...

Gentoo 2005.0 LiveCD (32-bit version)
    -Boot from the livecd
    -Run dmsetup at the command prompt
    Code:
    # dmsetup mknodes

-If your software raid was detected correctly you will now have devices showing up in /dev/mapper

Gentoo 2005.0 LiveCD (64-bit version) - It takes a little more effort than the 32-bit livecd
    Note: there are more steps than the 32-bit version because the initrd on the 64-bit livecd doesn't seem to contain dmraid support like the 32-bit version does

-Download the following archive which includes a statically compiled version of the dmraid utility: http://silexit.gmxhome.de/Linux/sk98lin_and_dmraid.tbz2
    -Copy the dmraid directory in the archive to a floppy drive or usb key
    -Boot from the livecd
    -You'll notice there isn't a /dev/mapper directory. In order for it to appear, you need to load the device mapper kernel module.
    Code:
    # modprobe dm_mod

-Mount your floppy or usb drive that contains the dmraid utility
    -Run the dmraid utility from the bin directory on the usb or floppy drive. It'll go something like the following:
    Code:
    # cd /mnt/floppy/dmraid/sbin/
    # ./dmraid -ay

-If the software raid was detected correctly you will see your new raid devices in /dev/mapper

Now that you have the raid devices created...
You should now have devices in /dev/mapper like isw_blahblahblah_RAIDVolume0. You will see the main device as well as a device node for each partition that is already created on the raid drives. I'm using intel software raid (ICH6) hence the 'isw' at the beginning of the device name. Since you've got nvraid you will see something slightly different.

You can now use fdisk for partitioning and other hard drive utilities on the /dev/mapper devices just like you would with /dev/hd* and /dev/sd* devices. If you do use fdisk (or similar program) to create partitions on the raid volume, you'll need to reboot your system in order for the partitions to be recognized. NEVER access and write information to your software raid devices through the /dev/sd* device nodes.

Once you've got your raid devices setup you can follow the normal gentoo installation notes for the most part. There are only a few places where you do things a little different...

Chrooting
When the time comes to chroot into your installation you'll notice that you won't have your raid devices anymore in /dev/mapper. You'll need the devices to be there when it comes time to install grub with a custom device map. Do the following to create the devices in the chroot environment:
Code:
# emerge --sync
# emerge -a device-mapper
# dmsetup mknodes

Compiling Your Kernel
I would suggest using the genkernel instructions for compiling and installing your kernel. You will need dmraid support built into your intitrd and genkernel has a '--dmraid' option for doing just that. I, for example, use the following command with genkernel.
Code:
# genkernel --udev --dmraid --menuconfig all

If you want to use fbsplash/gensplash it will look like
Code:
# genkernel --udev --dmraid --gensplash=emergence --menuconfig all

You also want to make sure when you compile your kernel that you include support for the following:

Device Mapper Support
Located in: Device Drivers --> Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)
From there you should only need to select 'Raid Support', 'Linear (append) mode', 'Raid-0 (striping) mode', and 'Device mapper support'

SCSI Support
Located in: Device Drivers --> SCSI device support
From there make sure have 'SCSI disk support' (which is needed for your sata drives) and the proper sata driver selected in 'SCSI low-level drivers'

ATA Support for you chipset
Located in: Device Driver --> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL
From there make sure you include ata drivers for chipset

Grub Installation
The following is an example from the gen2dmraid website (http://tienstra4.flatnet.tudelft.nl/~gerte/gen2dmraid/). You will obviously have a different partitioning scheme so your grub installation will vary slightly. Also, you may need to follow the gen2dmraid link above to see the example in context. Pay special attention to the first command used to start grub and the steps to create your own device map. The other steps are the same as a normal grub installation.
Code:

# Grub should not detect bios device names itself! Do this or be a fool!:
/sbin/grub --device-map=/dev/null

# (hd0,0) is the first partition on the first disk (from bios point of view!!)
grub> device (hd0,0) /dev/mapper/sil_adbibjadbcbab1

# (hd0) is the first disk (and thus containing (hd0,0) )
grub> device (hd0) /dev/mapper/sil_adbibjadbcbab

# That's it, the rest should be easy:
grub> root (hd0,0)
 Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0x4

grub> setup (hd0,0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/fat_stage1_5" exists... yes
 Running "embed /boot/grub/fat_stage1_5 (hd0,0)"... failed (this is not fatal)
 Running "embed /boot/grub/fat_stage1_5 (hd0,0)"... failed (this is not fatal)
 Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0,0) /boot/grub/stage2 p /boot/grub/menu.lst "... succeeded
Done.

NOTE: When I was doing research for installing grub, I found someone say that there is no such thing as a master boot record on a raid volume (which becomes important when you want to install grub on your MBR). That is completley fase. I installed grub on the MBR of my raid volume (using the command 'setup (hd0)' from within grub) and everything works normally as it should.
---
There aren't any linux distributions that I know of (as of the date of this post) that support dmraid in their installers. Hopefully linux distributions start including dmraid support, because a lot of people are starting to use motherboard raid solutions. If they did, we wouldn't have to worry about all these little details.

Well, this post ended up being a lot lengthier than I first intended. Hopefully it helps people get started with their motherboard raid solution, and I hope the instructions aren't too rough. I tried to remember everything from when I did my installation a couple weeks ago, but I may have left something important out. If anyone has any suggestions or comments on these isntructions, please let me know, and I can correct or make changes to this post.

P.S. Welcome to the Gentoo forums Sleeping_Sloth!!
P.P.S Sometimes you just have to be patient for a response on the forums. People like me don't live and breathe in the gentoo forums. You're lucky I happened to spot your thread while I was searching to fix a gentoo problem of my own. I figured this would be a good time to do a brain dump before I forgot everything I did to get my software raid working.

Last edited by rawc on Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sleeping_Sloth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Ah - there is somebody there :) Reply with quote

Rawc - thanks very much - I will work through what you have suggested.

Thankyou very much for your time posting that.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Quote:

Err - the same amount I paid for support on other distro forums - and got quick, friendly responses?? :wink:
I wasn't trying to get anyone's goat - but in most forums I've belonged to in my time, when someone new posts, they would be welcomed,
whether the reader could answer their question or not.

cconroy - I appreciate your advice - I know enough about raid to know the pro's and cons (and I agree - the cons outweigh the pro's) - for now though, I'm going to stick with it the way it is - after all, I have another machine sat next to the first, and I back up regularly.

I'll probably move the drives back to non-raid soon - but I want to get things set up across the two first, for my own interest as much as anything else.

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how I get on.

Sloth out
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ah - there is somebody there :) Reply with quote

Sleeping_Sloth wrote:
Quote:

Err - the same amount I paid for support on other distro forums - and got quick, friendly responses?? :wink:
I wasn't trying to get anyone's goat - but in most forums I've belonged to in my time, when someone new posts, they would be welcomed,

Well, with the amount of new users joining every day, and the number of users answering questions here, it gets a bit complicated to keep track of such things. Mostly we try to answer questions first, and there's always plenty of those, so the welcoming of new users is often overlooked. And such things are more for forums like Gentoo Chat and Off The Wall instead of the support forums.

That said, Welcome Sleeping_Sloth!
Hope you will enjoy Gentoo and the forums. See you around.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ah - there is somebody there :) Reply with quote

Sleeping_Sloth wrote:
Quote:

Well, I can tell you that when I read your comment, I decided that my time would be best used elsewhere. I'm no expert, but I've been giving a reasonable part of my time in the last weeks to these forums trying to help.
So, using a different tone, might give you a better chance of getting help! :wink:
It seems too many people think that their posts will get a faster reply when they use a harsh tone, question others' commitment or try to blackmail - "if you don't help me, I'll go elsewhere". Conversely, I believe that making clear and sufficiently detailed posts using a friendly tone, will give anyone the best chance to get helpful replies.

Sleeping_Sloth wrote:
Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how I get on.

Sloth out

I hope that everything goes alright. If you have any more problems post them. I'll be around and will try to help if I can.

PS - Oh, and welcome to the forums. I'll see you around.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Sleeping_Sloth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawc,

I've gotten some way through your instructions - very helpful. I now have the filesystem established (a very simple on for now). just boot, root and swap.

I'm about to move on to stage compilation, but I am now wondering if I should be using a stage 1 install, or if I can get away with a stage 3 ? I'm not sure I'm up to doing a stage 1 install.

Will I be able to incorporate the support I need using stage 3? - Bearing in mind I'll need SMP support etc...

jmbsvicetto - I totally understand what you are saying. My post wasn't intended to offend - and I certainly wasn't trying to blackmail anyone - I was just a bit surprised by the lack of response. Perhaps I have been spoiled elsewhere with response times. Often I've had queries answered within minutes of posting. I realise RH probably has a larger following, and so it's probably easier to get a quick response on the RH forums - or maybe I've just been lucky in the past.

Again - sorry if I upset you, or anyone else - I think my post was really born of the frustration of not being able to get my system up and running.

Sloth out
rawc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend doing a stage 3 install. That's what I did. Doing a stage 1 install on a 64-bit system really doesn't gain you anything, because everything is already optimized for your system. Plus a stage 1 can take much longer to install.

Also, you won't have a problem with SMP or anything in a stage 3, because you still compile your own kernel and decide what to include.

Hope that helps.
-Rawc
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeping_Sloth wrote:
I'm about to move on to stage compilation, but I am now wondering if I should be using a stage 1 install, or if I can get away with a stage 3 ? I'm not sure I'm up to doing a stage 1 install.

Will I be able to incorporate the support I need using stage 3? - Bearing in mind I'll need SMP support etc...

The end result of a Stage1 and a Stage3 install is the same or can be the same. The road to that point is however very different. These days, I recommend the Jackass! Project, not available for 64bits, or a Stage1 on Stage3 tarball install.
If you feel up to it, I would recommend using one of BobP guides using GCC 3.4.3 or GCC 3.4.4. I've personally followed the first to install my Athlon64 system. If you decide to use it, please don't post any questions on the support thread, because BobP and friends don't support x86_64. They already have to much work with just x86. Open a thread with any problem you face and send me a PM. I'll try to help you.

Sleeping_Sloth wrote:
jmbsvicetto - I totally understand what you are saying. My post wasn't intended to offend - and I certainly wasn't trying to blackmail anyone - I was just a bit surprised by the lack of response. Perhaps I have been spoiled elsewhere with response times. Often I've had queries answered within minutes of posting. I realise RH probably has a larger following, and so it's probably easier to get a quick response on the RH forums - or maybe I've just been lucky in the past.

Again - sorry if I upset you, or anyone else - I think my post was really born of the frustration of not being able to get my system up and running.

Sloth out

Ok, I understand that also. I'm sorry if I was to harsh, but lately I've seen quite a few posts that fit into my comment.
From my experience in the last weeks and from a few replies that I've read and received, you were unlucky here. Most posts do receive a reply very quickly. Hopefully, the next time you need help, you'll get a quick answer.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
Sleeping_Sloth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawc,

I've got as far as chrooting, but now I have a problem.

I can't mount my floppy drive (with dmsetup on it) after chrooting. When I try to modprobe the floppy drive, I get the following error:

FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.11-gentoo-r3-k8/modules.dep: No such file or directory

and if I try to mount directly, I get this error:

mount: /dev/fd0 already mounted or /mnt/floppy busy

- but there is nothing in /mnt/floppy (it's not mounted, I mean)

Can you offer some advice please?

Thanks,

Sloth out
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeping_Sloth,

you can mount the floppy on other console and copy the files to the mounted /. This means that if you press ALT+F2 to switch the second console, you should be able to mount /mnt/floppy and do cp /mnt/floppy/whatever /mnt/gentoo. To switch back to the first console press ALT+F1.
Does this help?

Help answer || emwrap.sh
Sleeping_Sloth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge,

Yes, it does help.

Thanks - I wasn't aware I could have 2 consoles open.

Thankyou!

Sloth out
Sleeping_Sloth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

argh

Nearly, anyway

when Rawc said "run dmsetup" , I assume he meant (on my amd64) "dmraid -ay" - as that seems to be the amd64 equivalent of x86's dmsetup.

Anyway, when I run dmraid -ay from the chrooted console, I get an error:

ERROR: opening path /sys/block

which is obviously because /mnt/gentoo/sys/block doesnt exist. /sys/block does, on the other hand.

Got any ideas as to how I might get my chrooted console to set up the raid array??

Sloth out
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeping_Sloth,

actually you've got more than 2 consoles. You should have 10 or 12. To change between them press ALT+F??.
Actually, I do have dmsetup on my AMD64 box:
Code:
atl64 atlantis # which dmsetup
/sbin/dmsetup
atl64 atlantis # equery belongs /sbin/dmsetup
[ Searching for file(s) /sbin/dmsetup in *... ]
sys-fs/device-mapper-1.01.01 (/sbin/dmsetup)
atl64 atlantis #

This probably means that you haven't emerged device-mapper. To verify do
Code:
# emerge -s device-mapper

If you don't have it on your system, emerge it and then try to follow the steps Rawc gave you.
AFAIK, /sys like /proc are interfaces to your kernel. So I don't know if you have it on the chroot. You might try to mount /proc under the chroot and if that doesn't work on a console outside the chroot do
Code:
# mount -t bind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys

Help answer || emwrap.sh
Sleeping_Sloth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to wonder whether I'll ever get this working... lol

I rebooted after running emerge --sync, and now I cant get my raid array to be detected.

Also, joyfully I've lost everything I did pre-reboot.

I guess the mountpoint wasnt correctly set up, or something?

Anyway, it's late here now, so I'll look at this again tomorrow :(

Cheers,

Sloth out
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have lost the information by not having mounted the partitions. If you didn't, it was all in RAM.
Better luck for tomorrow.

Help answer || emwrap.sh

Last edited by jmbsvicetto on Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Sleeping_Sloth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge,

I was just being silly... everything was still there -I just hadn't remounted.

oops.

Kernel is now compiling (I had a change of heart - wanted to get thje kernel compiling b4 bed...)

so hopefully I'll be able to get this finished off tomorrow (yeah, right lol)

cheers Jorge,

nn

Sloth out
rawc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:

This probably means that you haven't emerged device-mapper. To verify do
Code:

# emerge -s device-mapper

Oops :oops: ... I forgot about that part....
Once you're chrooted make sure you do an 'emerge --sync' before the 'emerge -a device-mapper' to ensure you get an up-to-date version of it installed. I've made the change in the instructions above :-).

Sleeping_Sloth wrote:

when Rawc said "run dmsetup" , I assume he meant (on my amd64) "dmraid -ay" - as that seems to be the amd64 equivalent of x86's dmsetup.

Actually, I said run "dmsetup mknodes" once you are chrooted. That applies to both 32-bit and 64-bit installations. The only reason you had to run 'dmraid -ay' earlier in the 64-bit install is because the initrd doesn't properly support dmraid like the 32-bit livecd does. If the 64-bit livecd supported things correctly you would only have to type 'dmsetup mknodes' just after booting off the cd like with the 32-bit installation. (Actually if both livecd's properly supported dmraid we wouldn't even have this thread...hopefully dmraid support will be in 2005.1 :wink:).

In general, you'll always know if you can just run 'dmsetup mknodes' to create your devices in /dev/mapper if running 'dmsetup ls' or 'dmsetup info' beforehand shows information on your raid devices. If it does show information on your raid devices, it's because dmraid has been run in your initrd and your kernel already knows about the raid devices. Only when 'dmsetup ls' or 'dmsetup info' return nothing do you have to run 'dmraid -ay'.

Also, if I remember right, the only reason you even need to create the device nodes (in /dev/mapper) in your chrooted environment during the install is so that you can create the custom device maps during the grub installation.

Hopefully I haven't confused matters any worse. Good luck with your installation! It'll be worth it when it's done.
-Chris
Sleeping_Sloth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawc,

Yeah, I wordked it out in the end (after I'd posted) - but thanks for the clarity.

I'm not being told by genkernel that (post compile) 'could not find device-mapper source tarball /usr/share/genkernel/pkg/device-mapper.1.00.17.tgz. Please place it there, or place another cersion, changing /etc/genkernel.conf as necessary"'

Ok, I get what it's saying, but I did an emerge device-mapper, so building from source, yes?

In which case, I dont have a tarball for it, do I? or do i? lol

any more help would be apreciated - I can almost smell a working install...heh

Sloth out
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeping_Sloth,

are you interested in using genkernel or are you willing to compile the kernel by hand? In the former, Rawc might be able to help you - I never used genkernel. In the latter, you shouldn't have that problem, at least I didn't.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
Sleeping_Sloth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge,

Well, I'm not against compiling from hand - it's just that rawc advised using genkernel, so I thought I'd do that (at least *this* time)

maybe I should compile by hand though...

Sloth out
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: