View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the test results linked to in my last post, it would appear that the results from 'sys-build.sh' are wrong, because of
Code:
gentoo root # scripts/sys-build.sh -p
cat: basesys-build.lst: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `tmp': No such file or directory

...I should've gone to bed earlier. :oops:

Would having the script & the 'basesys-build.lst' in /root/scripts/ be responsible through permissions, or does the script need more absolute paths defined, or maybe the creation of a work environment, like 'emwrap.sh'?

Apologies for my naive questions - i know a little about C-syntax, but bugger-all about scripting. :roll:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
2 Thanks Bob, you Jackass :)

guilty as charged. :oops:

Quote:
Hey Bob or moacha why dont you make a oneliner that builds the TC that way :?: :lol: Because its totally wrong and if a person hasnt updated for 4 to 6 months it could easily break their system. The thing is until you present it this way you dont realize just how dangerous and wrong it is. The other files I listed are either run time deps of glibc and/or important progs for the system. The only reason that it works is because of the TC oneliner that you do before it. <end rant>

yeah, there's no way that i'd build the toolkit the way that Portage does it. what i just don't understand about this is why Portage continues to use this bass ackwards build order. We've identified the problem months and months ago. I remember talking about it back in October or November. One would think that by this time, the proper order would be integrated into Gentoo so that Portage uses a proper build order. for the life of me, i don't understand why the devs aren't on top of this. i mean, they have to be familiar with Linux from Scratch, right?
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
First choice get sys-build.sh and basesys-build.lst and emwrap.sh. Then
Code:
echo "<=/sys-devel/gcc-3.3*" >> /etc/portage/package.mask  # prevents further updateing of gcc-3.3.?

Just a small correction that i discovered during my testing sequence; /etc/portage/package.mask doesn't accept wildcards - it insists on complete 'atoms'. Therefore, you would need to use
Code:
echo "<sys-devel/gcc-3.4.1-r3" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

...to prevent the updating as suggested. :wink:
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taipan67 Well I was in the proccess of checking out your question about sys-build.sh and I downloaded it to ~/home/hielvc. Then I did a "ls -l *sh" to checkout the spelling and the same with basesys-build.lst. Ther they are but I cant chmod them or stat them. So I rebooted use -rF to force fscheck and there they are, still screwed ! ARRRHHHHAAAAA SUGAR jETS

So Im useing my VIA C2 now while contemplate the bleakness of the universe and how with my luck
A a cp our mv the /home partitiion to /opt partition will 1 boork when they get to these 2 files 2 theyll of be the first 2 files
B theyll get moved also and I'll hve these to damn files on 2 freakin partitions.

And I just fired up my newer, favorite xterm, gnome-terminal, it has tabs and is easy to setup, and that for some reason my font color is now black which matches my black background PERFECTLY

i WANT A GUN !!!@!*&%( *(^(*^(%%$$#@8| so it will a bit before I get back to ya, I need to do gonyo before the sole piece of solar sail that made to space decides that its found a nice spot to land in SOCAL, esco, on a little street called Adams. :lol:
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hielvc,
It's me again, I just thought I'd let you know that even after using the advice that you gave me on page #7 "gtk-engines" and "gnome-themes" are still blocking each other :( . I'm stumped, I have no idea what to do...
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw,

This is from 'x11-themes/gtk-engines-2.6.3.ebuild' :-
Code:
DEPEND="${DEPEND}
   !<=x11-themes/gnome-themes-2.8.2"

...which means that gtk-engines-2.6.3 needs a higher version of gnome-themes than 2.8.2.

On my x86 system, the latest stable version of gnome-themes is 2.10.0, so first suggestion would be
Code:
emerge sync

...then try your update again...

If that doesn't work (EDIT: It doesn't - i just tried :evil: ), second suggestion would be to 'mask' gtk-engines, like so :-
Code:
echo ">x11-themes/gtk-engines-2.2.0" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

It'd be nice if syncing fixed it though, eh? 8)

EDIT: The best solution of all might be to emerge gnome-themes-2.10.0 with the '--nodeps' option (it's only blocked in a normal emerge by runtime dependencies, not build ones), then try again, but i'd prefer the opinion of others on whether that would be dangerous, before staking my life on it... :?
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what worked for me.
Code:
emerge unmerge gtk-engines gnome-themes
emerge gtk-engines gnome-themes

taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! So you didn't get any celestial interruptions over the weekend, then? :wink:
hielvc wrote:
This is what worked for me.
Code:
emerge unmerge gtk-engines gnome-themes
emerge gtk-engines gnome-themes

southpaw's post gave me the impression that your above solution (as you already offered on page 7) didn't work for him (her?) - that's why i posted those exotic ideas, before... :roll:

Have you been able to figure out why i couldn't get sys-build.sh to find basesys-build.lst? I've no idea if it's related, but i was playing with a copy of the list in gedit, transposing in a column of comments with the build-order number of each package from 'emwrap.sh -sebp', & noticed that when i ran the cursor down the nice, neat column of hashes, the column-number jumped about rather disconcertingly... 8O

I've tried looking for extraneous line-breaks or such-like in nano & gedit, without any success. Maybe it's just a glitch with my installation of gedit.

I've ended up doing the
Code:
emerge system -e && emerge system -e

...thing, now, but it'd be nice to be able to use this script for my next system-build, once i've de-bugged this test-installation. :D
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

! Posted a newer version of sys-build.sh. Its cleans out the comments at the top basesys-build.lst.

2 southpaw I dont know what else to suggest. On my to 2 systems, one "~x86" the other is "x86" accept for the TC . The blockage on both my systems were caused by version conflict and so is yours at least by what
Quote:
<=x11-themes/gnome-themes-2.8.2
(is
blocking
x11-themes/gtk-engines-2.6.3)
<=x11-themes/gnome-themes-2.8.2
(is
blocking
x11-themes/gtk-engines-2.6.3)
the <= is trying to inform you that anything" less that or equal to " g-themes-2.8.2 bocks gtk-engines--2.6.2. You dont usually get a mutual block like this but as you found out it does happen. If you cut and paste the "emerge unmerge ..." It should work. I just did it on both of my box's ! :wink: You can also get KEYWORD blocks which is where taipan67 advice comes in. When this happens I almost allways end up with 1 xterm showing "man portage" , another xterm for "emerge blah -p " to test if I figured out the syntex right yet :oops: and an editor going so I can make multipule edits and saves to see if the dang thing is right yet. :lol:

taipan67 I not sure why your haveing your prob. The only thing that comes to mind is what happened to me Saturday morning. It turned out that when the files were saved they had a leading space as part of the file name. " name" as opposed to "name". Can you " less basesys-build.lst " ? If you cant try " less " basesys-build.lst" ". This probalbly isnt your problem since sys-build.sh works and when it happened to me, I was useing "dillo" at the time, it affected both files downloaded.
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, heres the weird thing.
I did emerge --unmerge and then emerged it again now I've got gnome-themes-2.10.0, however when I issue "sh emwrap.sh -suD", I still get the same crap. Now this really dosen't make any sense :? ...and I did do an emerge --sync before I proceeded.
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
taipan67...Can you " less basesys-build.lst " ?

Yep - i even made sure of the spelling by copy 'n' pasting the filename into my terminal from the script on page 6 of this thread...

Still the same opening statements with the updated script, too
Code:
gentoo ~ # scripts/sysbuild-050628.sh -p
cat: basesys-build.lst: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `tmp1': No such file or directory

...before ploughing through the 'emerge system -e' package-sequence. What should the permissions be for basesys-build.lst? They're just 644 on mine. :?
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually run sys-build in src/wrapper/sys-build , I cp it to /root and ran " sh sys-build.sh -p " I had no problem. the permission on both files is "644" on my system. Fire up your editor and
Code:
function get_build(){
# This "if "is for the generation of the list and if the
# list needs regeneration. Need to save basesys-build.lst
# or it gets wiped by continue. Added sed '/^#/d' to clean
# out comments in basesys-build.lst

if [[ "${cont}" != "yes" ]];then
140   cat basesys-build.lst|sed '/^#/d'>sys-build.lst
   #calling wrld_lst and passing system to it
   wrld_lst system
   grep /auto wrld.lst>auto
   grep /db- wrld.lst>dbfiles
   # Calling file_filter with sys-build.lst
   file_filter sys-build.lst   
    fi
}

edit line #140 " cat basesys-build.lst|sed......" change the name basesys-build.lst to the name of your choice and then " cp basesys-build.lst nameOfchoice " and then try running it.
Edit meant to say "I had no problem" :oops:

Last edited by hielvc on Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw get newest version of emwrap, Version 3.0.4. That will stop those errors. The clean function wasnt emptying the contents of one of the files when it was through so it kept reporting the blocked file message.
reeder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hielvc,

I don't recall seeing it discussed (but could have missed it in the 8 pages of this thread), but is it reasonable to edit basesys-build.lst to comment out things I don't have on my system?

I did
Code:
# sys-build.sh -p | grep ebuild
and there are a couple of things it wants to install (not rebuild or update). Or do you feel strongly that all of these are required? If so, why sys-apps/sandbox? That package is keyworded for all archs and all versions.

Thanks,
-- William
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, feel free to customize it for your system.You have pointed out the problem I have with sys-build. I only have my 2 systems to go by when trying to determine what should be in the list. Thats why its still in testing mode. Ill remove "sandbox" from the posted list now but it might tommorow before before I can get the link list updated.
Edit: updated download link also 9:21am PST

Thanks reeder
reeder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a problem using emwrap.sh version 3.0.4.

I ran "sys-build.sh build" and "emwrap.sh -se" just fine. But when I try to run "emwrap.sh -rp" it hangs. It also hangs when running "emwrap.sh -r". I tried "rm -rf /tmp/emwrap" before running "emwrap.sh -r" but the same thing happens.

It does create /tmp/emwrap and the files build.lst, sys.lst, and wrld.lst. The output to the terminal after running "emwrap.sh -r" is
Code:

Runnig emwrap.sh

Files made by emwrap.sh are located in /tmp/emwrap. Feel free
 to "rm -r /tmp/emwrap"

389 packages in build.lst

Any ideas what's going on before I dig in myself?

-- William
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok open up your editor and do a search and replace for " read " and replace with "sleep 1" or copy it from the front page. It will be awhile before I con upload to the link site. Its on my sons web page now so he has to do it .
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
I usually run sys-build in src/wrapper/sys-build , I cp it to /root and ran " sh sys-build.sh -p " I had problem. the permission on both files is "644" on my system. Fire up your editor and
Code:
function get_build(){
# This "if "is for the generation of the list and if the
# list needs regeneration. Need to save basesys-build.lst
# or it gets wiped by continue. Added sed '/^#/d' to clean
# out comments in basesys-build.lst

if [[ "${cont}" != "yes" ]];then
140   cat basesys-build.lst|sed '/^#/d'>sys-build.lst
   #calling wrld_lst and passing system to it
   wrld_lst system
   grep /auto wrld.lst>auto
   grep /db- wrld.lst>dbfiles
   # Calling file_filter with sys-build.lst
   file_filter sys-build.lst   
    fi
}

edit line #140 " cat basesys-build.lst|sed......" change the name basesys-build.lst to the name of your choice and then " cp basesys-build.lst nameOfchoice " and then try running it.

Sorry to take so long reporting back - i've been busy building the rest of my 'Brave New World'. :wink:

Here's the scoop :- Moving everything from /root to /usr/local didn't change anything; Re-setting the permissions of the executables to 744 or 774 didn't change anything; Renaming basesys-build.lst & editing sys-build.sh accordingly fixed the problem - & that was in the original /root location, with the original 775 permissions. :P

Many thanks for your industry, hielvc - once i've ironed out the kinks in this new system, i'll be duplicating it as a replacement for my 6-month old 'stable' setup, & will now be able to use your script when i do... 8)
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated link to correct prob reeder pointed out.
arjay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
First choice get sys-build.sh and basesys-build.lst and emwrap.sh. Then
Code:
echo "<=/sys-devel/gcc-3.3*" >> /etc/portage/package.mask  # prevents further updateing of gcc-3.3.?
gcc-config -l  #check which gcc and select the right one.
sys-build.sh && emwrap.sh -se   # This nails down the TC and should clean up the system libraries
emwrap.sh -r && emwrah.sh -r    # This rebuilds the world files only and by doing it twice should take care
                                #of the world libs.

2nd choice
Code:
gcc-config -l  #check which gcc and select the right one.
emwrap.sh -seb && emwrap.sh -seb   # builds the TC  and all sys files then does it a second time.
emwrap.sh -r && emwrap.sh -r    # This rebuilds the world files only and by doing it twice should take care
                                #of the world libs

I have a Jackass! install, that I have not been able to successfully run emerge -e system on at all. Today I am working on your choice number 1. I actually ran into this after already successfully completing a run of emwrap.sh -uDe. I was surprised I didn't receive an error on that, and now am hoping I haven't screwed something up. I am on emerge 24 of 87 on -se run and, if I can get through that, will follow up with a double dose of -r.

The emerge system and etc-update has been my systems' demise on every previous Gentoo installation. I really hope this time will be different. The jackass! install was great, and I haven't had to reinstall it at all unlike all of my previous stage 3 and 2 installs. And now the final test!

My gcc-config -l result kind of worries me in that somehow it is 3.4.4 when I fully expected it to be 3.4.3, so my previous attempts at emerge -e system, which have all failed, may have updated that? Also, I received an invalid atom on both sys-devel/gcc-3.4* and an edited sys-devel/gcc-3.4.4, so I deleted that altogether. Are either of these things major issues? I haven't seen anything too alarming happening during download and compile, but am hoping it is not degrading my gcc to 3.3x level.

Thanks!
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had no probs with gcc-3.4.4 and actually 3.4.3 either. I have had probs with gcc-config and once or twice funky lib names for gcc versions. Once you get what ever the exact problem is strighten out the actual gcc works well. As to every bodys favorite form of russian roulett. etc-update. its what I use but there are several replacements that safer to use. See the Gentoo Script Repository
arjay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
Ive had no probs with gcc-3.4.4 and actually 3.4.3 either. I have had probs with gcc-config and once or twice funky lib names for gcc versions. Once you get what ever the exact problem is strighten out the actual gcc works well. As to every bodys favorite form of russian roulett. etc-update. its what I use but there are several replacements that safer to use. See the Gentoo Script Repository

I didn't do something right, for certain. It looks like I may have to reinstall everything again. I'm getting irregular errors now. X won't start, notice an error during world update re KDE, but the script kept on running, so I figured I'd sort it out maybe on the 2nd pass. Well, the error was input output failure finally stopping the emwrap.sh -r as it was starting the 2nd pass. I tried rebooting, figuring I'd see some errors then, but didn't get any. It fails to start X. I was finally able to get command line working properly, thinking I'd try an emerge system -e, but I got the "error, device is read-only" message again.

At any rate, my plan now is to start again with a jackass! install, then immediately use your scripts. If I can just get a stable base to build on, I think I'll be fine.

Thanks!
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check with the Jackass but sounds like you got the new baselayout which has fouled up alot of people. Do a search of the portage & programing forum concerning baselayout.. I'm running baselayout--1.11.12-r4, if thats newer than yours its because I run " ~x86 " but quit a few config files get relocated and anytime you update X it wants to install a nice new unusable X config so say no to it when you run etc-update. You shouldnt have to reinstall just use the install guide to set up you rconfig files again.
snowpatch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: sys-build.sh Reply with quote

I had a fresh, already installed stable x86 system. The only thing I did after doing the initial installation was convert to using nptl with ~x86 gcc-3.4.3 and glibc-2.3.5 as per Bob P.'s guide. I then found this thread, and did the following:
Code:
emwrap.sh -set
sys-build.sh -b (it stopped on libgcrypt as that depends on libgpg-error which comes after it in basesys-build.lst)
sys-build.sh -r
emwrap.sh -se
emwrap.sh -r (just once as I had no libs in world, only stuff like vim and gentoolkit)

I am now emerging gnome-light. My big question is can I mix and match emerge and emwrap as long as I do an emerge -p <whatever> to make sure I don't have any toolchain updates in there?
arjay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
You might check with the Jackass but sounds like you got the new baselayout which has fouled up alot of people. Do a search of the portage & programing forum concerning baselayout.. I'm running baselayout--1.11.12-r4, if thats newer than yours its because I run " ~x86 " but quit a few config files get relocated and anytime you update X it wants to install a nice new unusable X config so say no to it when you run etc-update. You shouldnt have to reinstall just use the install guide to set up you rconfig files again.

Appreciate the info, and the update X has already bitten me earlier. Something to remember. I beginning to wonder whether I'll get where I want to be in a state that I can recognize :roll:

arjay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 8 of 30

Jump to: