Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Which of these alpha machines would be supported by gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strombrg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Which of these alpha machines would be supported by gentoo? Reply with quote

Hi.

The group I work in has 9 alpha's that we want to move off of Tru64 to something else that's POSIXy.

The models we want to switch are:

Model AlphaStation 200 4/233
Model AlphaStation 255/233
Model AlphaStation 255/300
Model COMPAQ AlphaServer DS20E 666 MHz
Model COMPAQ Professional Workstation XP1000
Model Digital Personal WorkStation 433au

Is there anyone out there in gentoo-alpha-land, who knows which of these would be supported by gentoo-alpha? I wouldn't be surprised if no single invidual knows about all of these, so if you know one or more of them, I hope you won't hesitate to contribute the part you do know.

Just a quick note on where gentoo stands in this selection process: we're thinking primarily about gentoo and netbsd at this point.

Thanks!
griffypoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for a fact that the last three machines that you listed will work wonderfully with Gentoo. I suspect that the others will also work as support for Linux on the Alpha is fairly mature at this point, but I don't have any of those machines to give you a first hand experience.
jeffd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I can't see any reason why all of them wouldn't work. The only "gotcha" I can forsee is some of them might have graphics cards not supported on Linux. They all have SRM available, so that is goodness.

Jeff D
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all supported but some of them only boots with the 2.4 kernel on the 2005.0 livecd.
jetcowbob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: problems Reply with quote

I have been having issues with the Professional Workstation XP1000.. It only boots with the 2.4 kernel on the 2005.0 livecd.. but it also hangs up at random times while im trying to install. I have had to start over numerous times. (Power down and come back up) If anyone can suggest anything for this, i woudl be grateful. It has the newest firmware from HP.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: