kernel-2.6.7 on U60 not booting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbwillia
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: kernel-2.6.7 on U60 not booting Reply with quote

The machine is an Ultra60 with 2x450 procs + 512M memory

I used gentoo on this same machine using a 2.6 kernel about a year ago and it worked beautifully ... now I can't seem to get the kernel to work all. Every time I rebuild it and reboot, it loads silo and gets to the point where it says "Booting Linux..." and freezes. At this point it will not respond to anything (not even stop+a). I have to turn it off and back on so I can boot off the CD.

Does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this?
do
    kill $(pgrep you)
done
rusty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in an answer myself.

Meanwhile, why don't you try installing the newest kernel and do a full upgrade? You should be able to do this from chroot when booted using a CD.
jbwillia
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Meanwhile, why don't you try installing the newest kernel and do a full upgrade? You should be able to do this from chroot when booted using a CD.

by newest, do you mean the newest 2.4 kernel? I have considered doing this because I need a stable system, but I really wanted it to be a 2.6.x based one.

However, I have found someone who should be able to tar and bz2 the source directory of the old development-sources-2.6.6 kernel that was very stable. I'll probably just use it until a newer 2.6.x kernel becomes stable. Speaking of which, if the development-sources were working so well then why did they take them out of portage? They could have left them at least until vanilla-sources-2.6.x was stable. Anyways, I'll post back to here with my progress. And yes, I've been doing everything through a chrooted environment; I've compiled the same kernel with varying options about 3 or 4 times now.

Jason
do
    kill $(pgrep you)
done
rusty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

development-sources-2.6 have been renamed to gentoo-sources-2.6. sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r11 is gentoo's latest stable kernel. the latest stable vanilla is sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.11.11. (by stable, I mean it's not marked ~x86)
jbwillia
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it seems I made a stupid mistake and forgot to check the size of my kernel image...Once I got it down below 4 megs it started working (sortof); I know the docs say it needs to be below 3.5 but it still works. The system boots just fine now, but my keyboard doesn't work whatsoever. It's not a keymap issue; I checked. It seems as if the kernel just doesn't see the keyboard plugged in. I made sure the keyboard support was built into the kernel; I even added all the other useless keyboard types to make sure. Has anyone had this problem before?
do
    kill $(pgrep you)
done
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: