need basic WIFI help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zandy1123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: need basic WIFI help Reply with quote

I'm n00bish...

I just moved to a new apartment. I have a wireless card (D-Link DWL-G520), but I was hard-wired to my router at my old apartment and never tried getting the wifi to work in Gentoo.

So...I set my machine up in my new place and it looked for eth0, which obviously isn't hooked up. So I did "ifconfig -a" and found ath0...then ran "infconfig ath0 up" and "dhcpcd ath0"

I got signal! I put the little signal strength status thing on my panel...but here's my question:

How do I control all of my wifi settings? I have no idea which network I'm on - and I know there are a bunch of available nodes around here.

any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Andy
[/code]
misunderstruck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some wireless configuration tools in the (appropriately name) wireless-tools package. The two that I've found most useful are "iwconfig" and "iwlist".

"iwconfig" is similar to "ifconfig" -- if you want to know what the basic wireless settings are (e.g. what network are you on, etc.) you can type
Code:
iwconfig ath0

(I'm assuming that ath0 is your wireless interface)

You should get a listing of all your network interfaces with ESSID and other info for whichever one you are connected to. If you want to see what nodes are available, along with their names, signal strength, encryption status, etc., type
Code:
iwlist ath0 scan

To assign your card to one of the nodes, use
Code:
iwconfig ath0 essid "thenetworkname"

You can also use iwconfig to assign keys for WEP and what not...check "man iwconfig" for more on that. Oh, and you still have to use "ifconfig ath0 up" (not iwconfig) to turn the connection on.

Hope this helps some!
doug
Zandy1123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

sweet - handy tools...didn't even know they were there! obviously :)

looks like I'm communicating with the correct router. Thanks for yor help!!

-Andy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: