Xorg and KDE on HPPA
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Xorg and KDE on HPPA Reply with quote

Hi all. I have a HP C3000 hppa workstation. I have just installed Gentoo on it and I am trying to get Xorg and KDE working on it. From looking around it seems that the fbdev doesn't work for the Visualize Fx2 video cards.

A few questions

Is this correct that the fbdev doesn't work?
If it does work anyone know how to set it up?
If not is there another driver I can use instead? (I can't seem to find one by googling).

If it is not to get X working is there another graphical interface I should try?

Thanks

tfp
HPRichard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first (and probably dumb question):
Does the machine display anything on the monitor or are you using a serial console up to now? Do you have a text console on the monitor and is it readable and displaying correct colors?
tfp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The display is working fine. Had to turn it down to 1280x1024 @ 75hz with the TAB key to get anything to display. I have compatible USB keyboard and mouse and so I am able to run graphics(2).

I was able to get everything to comple, which as you can imagine to no time at all :wink:, but it seems any of the Visualize Fx2 cards or greater are not able to work with X. There seems to be no drivers for that set of video cards that will work with linux right now.

Looking around I was unable to find anyone that had anything like KDE or Gnome working on it but I figured it would be best to check here.
HPRichard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which driver are you using for the framebuffer? STI Text console normally works with fbdev, at least on my CRX8, but you may wish to look at the machine database of pateam.org, located here [url] http://www.pateam.org/list.html [/url].
But this page really looks like X not working on this machine, but it looks like having further hints about this issue. And perhaps you may want to ask other owners of this machine which you can find here http://hwdb.parisc-linux.org/view.php?type=machine&name=C3000.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: