arcboot failed on CKSEG0ADDR [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: arcboot failed on CKSEG0ADDR [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I am at the next to last step before trying to reboot gentoo on my O2 now. Unfortunately, when I emerge arcboot, I get an error message during linking:

Code:

echo "sys-boot/arcboot ~mips" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

emerge dvhtool
[goes fine]
emerge arcboot

[ ... downloads with good md5s arcboot and patched to make arcboot-0.3.8.6 ...]
[ ... The following is hand copied from the console so might not be 100% accurate. Giving all I can see on my display...]
Code:

rm -f ext2load
ld -N -T ld.script -o ext2load loader.o ext2io.o conffile.o ext2.o file.o stringops2.o isofs.o romfs.o ../2fslib/libext2fs.a ../arclib/libarc.a
loader.o (text+0x1a4)> In function 'InitMalloc'
 :undefined reference to 'CKSEG0ADDR'

[ ... a handful more errors on 'CKSEG0ADDR' on in function LoadProgramSegments ...]
Code:

make[1]: *** [ext2load] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/protage/arcboot-0.3.8/work/arcboot/ext2load'
make: [build-subarch-dep-ext2load] Error 2
!!! ERROR: sys-boot/arcboot-0.3.8.6 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, LIne 81, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

I didn't find any sort of log in /var/tmp/portage/arcboot-0.3.8/work/archboot that would explain what is going on in further detail.

What did I do wrong and how to I fix it?

Best regards,
/Mike

Last edited by iMike on Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my fault :)

Spent a bit of time fixing up the next iteration of the experimental livecd, so I forgot all about this. It's fixed in CVS now, but it may take a few hours for all the files to hit the mirrors.

On that note, you might consider trying ARCLoad out (sys-boot/arcload). While it doesn't support ext2/3 filesystems like arcboot (uses DVH instead), it's a quicker compile and can be used on multiple systems.

--Kumba
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: arcboot failed to link on undefined reference CKSEG0ADDR Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, Kumba!

I tried to emerge arcboot again and noticed that this time I get arcboot-0.3.8.6-r1 instead of the arcboot-0.3.8.6 from before. I also noticed that during emerge a "segaddr.patch" is mentioned, so this made me hopefull I was getting the newest version. However, I still get the same error message at the same location (ld). :( Is there something more I should re-emerge or should I try again later?

Best regards,
/Mike
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd, that segaddr patch should've addressed that...

Bah, I put the wrong set of patches in. Guess I didn't have enough caffeine in me yesterday.

Will fix.

--Kumba
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While waiting for a fix for arcboot, I am taking a look at arcload. It looks promising. After reading the docs and the readme the accommpanies your new MIP LIveCD, I have a question, though. Should the System.map file also be put in the volume headers with DVH, or does it just stay in the usual /boot location? I'm not sure how klogd, etc., gets informed where to look for it when it's not in the same location as the kernel file.

By the way, congratulations on the LiveCD :!: Cool that you guys are working up something like this! :D I hope to try in too sometime, but first, I'll be happy just to get my netbooted O2 up on its own feet.

/iMike
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I have tried arcload but ran into the anticipated problem of
Code:

Not enough space left in volume header

So, the vital question: how can one make new or larger volume headers? As noted in fdisk odd cylinder choice, the fdisk available on the netboot image does not contain, as far as I can tell, a way to make an IRIX partition table with SGI volume headers. At least it's not simply typing "g", as stated in the handbook. Hints, anyone?

Other questions regarding arcload:

A. What does "discord" mean? I didn't find documentation on it. It's in the orginal arc.cf file in the context of "root=/dev/ram0" "discord";

B. Does this look like something close to correct for changes to the orginal arc.cf file for an O2?
    Code:

ip32 { ...
                append "root=/dev/sda3";
               rm5000 { image system "/kernel-2.6";
              }}

C. After setting OSLoadFileName to ip32(rm5000, video=800x600) in the PROM do I execute 'sashARCS', as it says at the bottom of the arc.cf file, or do I execute 'kernel-2.6', my kernel name, instead?
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMike wrote:
Well, now I have tried arcload but ran into the anticipated problem of
Code:

Not enough space left in volume header

So, the vital question: how can one make new or larger volume headers? As noted in fdisk odd cylinder choice, the fdisk available on the netboot image does not contain, as far as I can tell, a way to make an IRIX partition table with SGI volume headers. At least it's not simply typing "g", as stated in the handbook. Hints, anyone?

'fdisk' is often referred to as a pile of broken code. Those who have worked with the code say it's surprising any of it ever works as it's intended to. That said, fdisk prohibits the creation of a new SGI Disklabel if an existing disklabel is present, thusly, before you can create a new disk label, you have to eradicate the old one entirely.

See this segment in the Handbook for more information:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-mips.xml?part=1&chap=4#doc_chap3

Mike wrote:

Other questions regarding arcload:

A. What does "discord" mean? I didn't find documentation on it. It's in the orginal arc.cf file in the context of "root=/dev/ram0" "discord";

It's a gag I put in. It displays the build date in "Discordian" format. Type "man ddate" on a normal Linux system for info.

Mike wrote:

B. Does this look like something close to correct for changes to the orginal arc.cf file for an O2?
    Code:

ip32 { ...
                append "root=/dev/sda3";
               rm5000 { image system "/kernel-2.6";
              }}

That looks good. Minor change: rm5000 whould be rm5200 if that's the processor that you have. If what you have is an R5000, then it needs to be called "r5000".

Mike wrote:

C. After setting OSLoadFileName to ip32(rm5000, video=800x600) in the PROM do I execute 'sashARCS', as it says at the bottom of the arc.cf file, or do I execute 'kernel-2.6', my kernel name, instead?

You can go about this several ways. One is to craft the entry like so in (B), and use the auto-detect feature of arcload, but this implies no change in configuration and can't be overriden with the current iteration of arcload (It will in future versions).

The filename itself of arcload doesn't have to be "sashARCS". It can be whatever you want to call it, as long as it does not exceed 8 characters (dvh limitation). I used "sashARCS" on the CD because SGI has this name hardcoded into the PROM of Indy and O2 systems ("sash64" on 64bit systems).

And yes, you execute the name of the bootloader instead of the name of the kernel. Afterall, the purpos eof a bootloader is to load the kernel. We'll get our docs updated with arcload basics in the near future.

--Kumba
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers, Kumba!

The bad news for me, I guess, is that I'll have to wipe out all my previous steps in getting Gentoo on my O2 if I have to go back to fdisk and make new larger headers now.

The other alternative is still the good ol' arcboot. Any idea when it might work again?

Ah, in any case, I was just trying to learn something new, so starting over doesn't have to be so bad....

/iMike
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't gotten to arcboot yet. With the release olf 2.6.12, there's a few issues that have surfaced in the the linux-mips CVS that I've been concetrating on figuring out. Hopefully, they'll be patched by this weekened with RealPatches© and not GlorifiedHacks©, but one never knows.

What this means is, I'm hoping to fix arcboot, keyword a few things, and update mips-sources this weekend, time permitting. We'll see.

--Kumba
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally returned to the challenge of getting my O2 to run Gentoo -- this time using the LiveCD.

No problems booting off the CD, and no problem installing all the Gentoo stuff, including arcload. :D I put the kernel, arc.cf and sashARC in the volume header and then went to reboot.

I don't know that much about the SGI PROM setup, but I set SystemPartition to point at the header containing arcload and then tried "Run Diagnostics". Before the text disappeared from the small window diagnostics puts up, I saw that ARCLoad started and then gave the message:
Code:

Detecting system parameters...
Loading pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)partition(8)/kernel26...
Reading 3621672 bytes ... OK
Entering kernel.
Exception: <vector = Normal>
   ....bunch of stuff about registers...
   Reserved Instruction exception
   Panic: unexpected exception
 Press reset or enter to restart

Does this mean the Kernel I built is screwed up?

Could the problem be that my root partition is on /dev/sdb1 i.e., a different drive than the one with the header containing ARCLoad? (I did specify /dev/sdb1 in the root option in arc.cf) Can ARCLoad handle that?

Could the problem be that my root partition is reiserfs?

Any hints would be appreciated.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bit further on this by playing around with the SGI PROM a bit more. Now things might actually be very close to working, but I can't see any messages to tell.

When I choose start system from the SGI PROM I get:
Code:

ARCLoader version 0.43 (c) 2004-5 Stanislav Skowronek
Loading configuraton for 'sashARCS'...
Detecting system parameters...
Loading disk(1)partition(8)/kernel26
Reading 3621672 bytes...OK
Reading 696454 bytes...OK
Reading 0 bytes...OK
Entering kernel.

I then hear some disk activity for a bit before it all settles down to silence. Unfortunately, it is still the little window with the above messages in it that I am staring at. I tried pinging the IP number that I think dhcp is going to give it, but I don't get any packets. When I press the reset button, the LED flashes for awhile as if it is shuting down some sort of system.

It seems my kernel has loaded and may even be "working", outside of the point of giving me a new console to look at. Is this analysis correct? Any tips on how to proceed?
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would suggest it's using serial console.

Try plugging in a null-modem cable and see what you get via the serial console.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you didn't include all the "pieces" of O2's graphics driver. I get confused by it frequently, because with Indy, you only select the "Newport" driver -- which includes its own framebuffer and everything. O2 is more normal in that it needs some extra bits. Mainly including the GBEFB driver, FB Console (Disable VGA text), set the shared memory to no value greater than 4MB, and pick your bootlogo. That should, for the most part, create a driver set that'll display something.

If you still fail to get anything out, switch to the serial console (PROM setenv console d1), and boot from that to see if you see anything.

Also, with your arcload config, how large is it? If it's not too large (>25lines excluding whitespace), post it here.

--Kumba
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After almost 2 months of not being able to get back to this, I finally got a chance. You were absolutely right, Kumba. I had just about all the variables you mention incorrectly set. I went back and changed that, and now I can boot into my own kernel (2.6.13.4-mipscvs-20050914). :D

This install used:
MIPS Live CD 2005-06-10
stage3-mips4-2005.1
portage-20051017
arcload-0.43-r1

I think it's time to close this thread. It also seems only right to mark it solved since arcload is a great replacement for arcboot.

Thanks Redhatter and Kumba, for all the advice! Have a happy holidays!
/iMike
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: