sparc ultra 5 with LAMP very slow problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lianlian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: sparc ultra 5 with LAMP very slow problem Reply with quote

i set up LAMP on my ultra 5 at 400mhz 256mb, webservice is very slow is that normal because is old and slow machine? or did i miss config something on LAMP?
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an awful lot of variables to suggest what's slowing it down - not the least of which is the database structure and PHP (or whatever) code.
The machine isn't overly fast, but you'd really need something to compare it to. Has it been faster in another setup?
cazort
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to hear more about this, because I've heard that LAMP runs more efficiently on the sparc architecture under linux, than it does under comparable x86 hardware.

Do you have a sense of what is limiting the speed? Is there a large load on this server, or is it running slow for simple requests from one user?

Try to isolate the problem: are you using up memory and getting into swap (unlikely unless you have a large load), or is the database slowing things down? Or is apache just being slow?

One factor might be hard drive...I've seen a lot of older sun workstations with slow 5400rpm hard drives. If you're doing anything with big files, this might be a factor too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: