WineX Compile questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seaweed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: WineX Compile questions Reply with quote

Some more Wine related questions.

I noticed in another thread someone stating that after compiling wineX from the cvs source and running the command:

'wine -v' the output was 'WineX 2.0'

However my output was "wine xxxxxxx" where xxxxxxx was some datestamp.

Did I do something wrong? Maybe I missed a step. I installed it by running '.tools/wineinstall'

I have since removed it and am going to try again. This time I want to compile it myself. I looked at the configure option but am unsure of what to use. Mainly im concerned with --enable-opengl and wondering if there are any other options that I should use.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your talking about wine not winex...they are different and i think that you need wine installed to install winex and have it run correctly.....though i cant wear to it...it was just a blurb i read in some revue on winex
TheWart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am pretty sure you do not have to have Wine installed to run WineX. I might be wrong, but I was under the influence that they were two seperate things altogether.

On the box it said it was designed for Win XP or better, so why won't it work with Linux?
EHobaX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 3:45 pm    Post subject: Wine note required Reply with quote

I've used WineX, and you don't need Wine installed to run. It sets up all it's own config files in a separate directory independent of Wine. It's pretty good, too! :)
seaweed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: WineX is in the portage tree now. Reply with quote

Well this makes life a little simpler. emerge winex
TheWart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference between gentoo's ebuild of wineX and the version you pay for? Are you really only paying for the voting/support features ont heri website?

On the box it said it was designed for Win XP or better, so why won't it work with Linux?
EhobaX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Difference Reply with quote

I believe w/ the emerge WineX you don't get the safe-disc or secure disk features, IIRC. WineX now has a .tgz format of the 2.0 build, so it's easy to install on Gentoo. Did it last night. :) Now, if my CD rom would stop slowing down my system. :P
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Difference Reply with quote

EhobaX wrote:
I believe w/ the emerge WineX you don't get the safe-disc or secure disk features,

Yeah, iirc, the WineX you can just download from their website is missing several things - the most important of which is the Safedisk copy protection routines. Apparently as these are licensed IP from another company, which puzzles me as to how they one day intend to make this long promised release of code back to Wine. Perhaps they just won't do that bit.

There is a lot of good stuff in there however, though. The DCOM implementation is probably the nicest piece, as Installshield software should work properly now.

I've been considering subscribing to this service. I really do need to get a credit card one day.

Curious.
TheWart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, signing up is very tempting

blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Bleh, WineX Reply with quote

I have the commercial version... and my suggestion is NOT to sign up until they at LEAST have DirectX 8.1 support included. Right now it runs pretty much any game based on the q3 engine (wolfenstein, jedi knight ii, soldier of fortune ii) and max payne (though I haven't tried that). However it does NOT run Grand Theft Auto 3, Freedom Force, THPS3, etc. They claim to run all kinds of games, blah blah WineX is so great, but in reality it runs very few games and most run better in Windows anyway.

Infact yesterday I partitioned my harddrive, broken down, and installed Windows XP for the sole purpose of playing GTA3. So again, search for games you have & want to play with it BEFORE you buy .. because chances are WineX won't run it. :)
seaweed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: fyi - linux games Reply with quote

I noticed a couple people posting messages about running quake and rtcw under wine. Just wanted to mention to anyone who might not be aware. Quake3 and RTCW have very good native linux suport.

The linux binaries can be found on the idsoftware ftp.

A good setup guide for both of these products can be found here.
http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/

Enjoy.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive signed up with winex and found for the money involved you cant complain ...earlier confusion on the post may have been the fact if you download winex from cvs it compiles and installs indentical to wine....but with directx support....whereas ifyou install the rpm.tgz etc it installs to a Transgaming dir. and remember the more that people signup the quicker the development will be.......
eean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWart wrote:
What is the difference between gentoo's ebuild of wineX and the version you pay for? Are you really only paying for the voting/support features ont heri website?

I would assume nothing. You pay for the WineX because you don't want to have to bother compiling it and out of sense of civic duty. Gentoo takes care of the former.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<offtopic>
Hey! His avatar is 100x167! I thought the limit was 80x80?
</offtopic>
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: