Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xdelta, bdelta, getdelta, deltup differences?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gilbo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: xdelta, bdelta, getdelta, deltup differences? Reply with quote

This is probably pretty simple, but after perusing the threads here and here, I'm still confused about a couple things.

I was considering downloading one of these tools to reduce the bandwidth I use when emerging packages. So I have some questions:

1. Is the dynamic-deltup-server a local server on my own machine, or is it located elsewhere? (Forgive my idiotic ignorance, but I actually couldn't figure this out).
2. If it is not a local server, then who runs the dynamic-deltup-server, and is its available bandwidth/CPU time sometimes a bottleneck?
3. Which of the above packages do I want to emerge and setup to reduce package download bandwidth?

Thanks guys. Please forgive my confusion.
indanet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: xdelta, bdelta, getdelta, deltup differences? Reply with quote

Hi Gilbo!
Gilbo wrote:
1. Is the dynamic-deltup-server a local server on my own machine, or is it located elsewhere? (Forgive my idiotic ignorance, but I actually couldn't figure this out).
It is no local server. Currently the dynamic deltup server network consists of five servers, which serve cached dtu files or create them on demand.

Gilbo wrote:
2. If it is not a local server, then who runs the dynamic-deltup-server, and is its available bandwidth/CPU time sometimes a bottleneck?
You can see who runs the server, if you look at the news section of the ddeltup homepage mentioned above. (These servers are not run by the gentoo foundation.)
Bandwidth is not a huge problem because most of the dtu files served are very small (look at the statistics section of the ddeltup homepage).
If a requested dtu file is not in the cache of the network, it has to be created. This is almost never the case because it is very unlikely that a dtu file you request was not requested before. If a dtu file has to be created, this takes usually about a minute (depending on the filesize) because the server has to fetch the original files and find the differences.

Gilbo wrote:
3. Which of the above packages do I want to emerge and setup to reduce package download bandwidth?
I'd recommend app-portage/getdelta (for saving bandwidth when downloading source archives) and app-portage/emerge-delta-webrsync together with app-arch/tarsync (this saves a lot of bandwidth when syncing the portage tree, but you can only sync once a day because the snapshots are updated in daily intervals).

These packages are not marked as stable, so here's my /etc/portage/package.keywords:
Code:
app-arch/tarsync ~x86
app-portage/emerge-delta-webrsync ~x86
app-portage/deltup ~x86
app-portage/getdelta ~x86
dev-util/bdelta ~x86
dev-util/diffball ~x86

Hope that helps!
indanet
ferringb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: xdelta, bdelta, getdelta, deltup differences? Reply with quote

indanet wrote:
app-portage/emerge-delta-webrsync together with app-arch/tarsync (this saves a lot of bandwidth when syncing the portage tree, but you can only sync once a day because the snapshots are updated in daily intervals).

Huh. Kick ass, people 'parently use it :)

If there is interest, I could see having a little chat with infra about upping the frequency a bit...
indanet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: xdelta, bdelta, getdelta, deltup differences? Reply with quote

ferringb wrote:
If there is interest, I could see having a little chat with infra about upping the frequency a bit...
Syncing once a day is enough for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: