Ultra 5 Performance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Ultra 5 Performance Reply with quote

I was just offered a Sun Ultra 5 (270 MHz, 64MB RAM) for $30US. I have never played with Sun hardware before, but I am eager to give it a go. Only problem is, I don't know how this stacks up for performance. Is it fast enough to work as a router/web(apache)/mail server for a small office? If so, is it powerfull enough to act as a streaming server (audio/video)?
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: nice one take it Reply with quote

the ram is on the low side but enough for a server, the speed would be ok (it is a old machine), I would say comparable to PII/III +/-500Mhz, Can you hook me up for such machine :)

xming
gle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's much better than I thought. I may have to upgrade the RAM, but that shouldn't be too expensive right...

The machine is an old surplus workstation from a friend's company. It's been in a surplus closet for the last year or so. I helped him setup a small cluster, he gave me dibs on some stuff from the closet. I saw it boot into Solaris, but that will soon be Gentoo :twisted: . I figured I would grab it just to say I had a Sun server running in my closet at home, now it looks like it might even be usefull.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ultra 5s are good little machines. I have a 333 MHz one at work, and I use it as a desktop. You could use it as a streaming media server I suppose, though I wouldn't recommend doing the encoding on the machine itself, especially if the streams will have much load.

One thing you might consider if you get the Ultra 5 is upgrading the hard disk. The disks that came with the Ultra 5s are slow and noisy in comparison to what's on the market today. It's a standard IDE hd, so if you roll on down to your computer shop and pick up something, it should work just fine. But if you aren't going to be doing a lot of disk i/o intensive stuff, or slow/noisy performance doesn't bother you, there's no reason to upgrade.
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: hd Reply with quote

weeve is right about the hd, I have put a 120 WD (8MB cache) disk in a ultra10, works great, don't buy ant sun disk that is wate of money. I don't no if the 180GB would work, I think there is somewhere a limit of 168GB, but don't count me on this one.

Well, I am still looking for a ultra 5 or 10 or even better 60 for myself, anyone can get these cheap?

xming
roderickvd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra 5 Performance Reply with quote

gle wrote:
I was just offered a Sun Ultra 5 (270 MHz, 64MB RAM) for $30US. I have never played with Sun hardware before, but I am eager to give it a go. Only problem is, I don't know how this stacks up for performance. Is it fast enough to work as a router/web(apache)/mail server for a small office? If so, is it powerfull enough to act as a streaming server (audio/video)?

Check out http://you.genie.co.uk/peterw/service/compare.htm for an interesting comparison. Seems like a 270 MHz SPARC CPU scales up to a Pentium II 300 MHz but with a Pentium III 600 MHz FPU.

More than enough for a small office server it seems to me, though I wouldn't charge it with any streaming content.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: