IDE Zip drive, devfs and ide-floppy
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TGL
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: IDE Zip drive, devfs and ide-floppy Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got an IDE Zip drive, and I can't make it work with devfs:
- if I boot with a disk in the drive, then hdd and hdd4 are created, everything is fine.
- else, I have no hdd/hdd4 device, and don't know what to do.

I've got an ide-floppy module, but loading it at boot time doesn't change anything. I think I just need to add something in my devfs config file to monitor the drive, but I really don't know what (gentoo is my first devfs distrib). And the ZIP-Drive-HOWTO didn't help.

Thanks for your help,
smtanner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know the solution to this as well. Seems this is a bug with devfs. I tried using scsi emulation with my zip drive to see if that would work as well but it had the same problem, the device sda4 would not be created by devfs unless there was a zip disk in the zip drive during boot.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this is not a bug with devfs, this is a problem with the IDE floppy driver.

From the Linux IDE-Floppy Driver Homepage:

Quote:
Devfs support is proving to be harder than we anticipated as the necessary work impact several subsystems all of which are under active development. Watch this space, or join in on the devfs mailing list. For now, if you are having problems with devfs (this is left blank)

Test DEVFS support is available here . You need the previous patch below applied first. These will both apply to 2.4.14 to 2.4.16 kernels.

Last edited by delta407 on Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
TGL
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another web page to monitor, until they find a solution. Thank you, delta407, for your reply.
brian33x51
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:15 am    Post subject: Solution (workaround) found! Reply with quote

Ha!

Found a way to get my ide zip 100 drive to work with autofs.

Here's what I did:

1.) Build in scsi emulation into your kernel. Add "hd?=ide-scsi" to the grub kernel line. Mine is "hdd=ide-scsi". I also have an internal dvd and a firewire burner all using the scsi driver.

2.) Download the program "scsiadd" from http://llg.cubic.org/tools/
(I'll work on getting an ebuild for this thing).

3.) Find out which scsi device it. I fgured out that mine's on "/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/"

4.) Run "./scsiadd -r scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/" to remove device (not sure if this is necessary, i'm tyring to fix my automounter timeout)

5.) Run "./scsiadd -a scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/". The partition /dev/sda4 should be available.
smtanner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I though this might be an ide bug, that is why I tried scsi emulation. I expected that would solve the problem if it was do to an ide driver problem. Mandrake uses devfs and there is now problem with zip disks when using mandrake 8.2. I notices that for zip drives, mandrake uses scsi emulation.
TGL
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian33x51: thanks a lot, it works! The only problem is I have to put a disk in the drive before using "scsiadd", so I can't put it in an init script. But no matter, that's really better than rebooting :)

smtanner: I'm curious to know how they do on Mandrake. Did you mean you still have it on your box? I would really like to see their devfs.conf file...
overshoot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Another way to get the IDE Zip to play Reply with quote

Add the kernel parameter

hd?=ide-floppy

(in my case hda)

Works for me.
smtanner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I had to revive this thread because I found a decent solution ala Mandrake. Using scsi emulation (hd?=ide-scsi) will solve the problem is /etc/fstab is set up right.

If scsi emulation is used and a disc is not inserted during boot, the link /dev/sda4 is still not created but you can access the zip drive through /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 (that is what is is for me it may be a different target depending on what other scsi or scsi emulation you have) which will be created when a disc is inserted. This works even if the zip disc was not in the drive during boot.
wilbertnl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: IDE Zip drive, devfs and ide-floppy Reply with quote

I added the following lines in /etc/devfs.conf

# Create /dev/discs/hde
LOOKUP ^hde$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc hde
REGISTER ^ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname hde
UNREGISTER ^ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink $devname hde

# Create /dev/discs/hde1
LOOKUP ^hde1$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 hde1
REGISTER ^ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname hde1
UNREGISTER ^ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink $devname hde1

# Create /dev/discs/hde4
LOOKUP ^hde4$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 hde4
REGISTER ^ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part4$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname hde4
UNREGISTER ^ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part4$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink $devname hde4

I have an additional Promise Ultra66 pci-card, that explains host2.
Now I can use devfs AND my Iomega zip drive without any trick!

You need to find your own host and lun, but I guess that you will figure that. For me there was no need to do anything else than these lines in /etc/devfs.

My kernels are 2.4.19-rc3/gentoo-r7

Hope this helps,
TGL
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: IDE Zip drive, devfs and ide-floppy Reply with quote

wilbertnl wrote:
I added the following lines in /etc/devfs.conf
[...]

That's exactly the kind of solution I was looking for. Now I'm starting to understand a few things about devfs.

Quote:
Hope this helps,

Yes, really, it does. Many thanks, and sorry for the late answer.
vlaflip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: another solution (kinda dirty...) Reply with quote

I have found another workaround for the devfs and ide-floppy problems
it's quite dirty, but it works... :twisted:

I didn't feel like recompiling my kernel for scsi-emulation, wich i don't wan't to use for anything but that ZIP drive of mine...

my zip drive is /dev/hdd, the major an minor numbers where borrowed from an old bootdisk (tom's rtbt version ??, see http://www.toms.net)

this my solution, i've added the following lines to /etc/conf.d/local.start

Code:
#make old fashioned dev entries for zipdrive
mknod /dev/hdd b 22 64
mknod /dev/hdd1 b 22 65
mknod /dev/hdd4 b 22 68

i hope this is helpfull to somebody
vlaflip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update!!

it not nessesary to put those lines in /etc/conf.d/local.start

it's enough to execute those commands just once, devfs remembers them after reboot (on my system, if it doens't just use the local.start trick)
TomorrowPlusX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:03 am    Post subject: Pardon my ignorance Reply with quote

OK, I finally bit the bullet and used hdc=ide-scsi to get my zip250 working. And, amazingly, it works! What amazes me even more, is that if I do an ls on /dev/discs/disc1 without a zip inserted I see just "disc" but after inserting a zip, I see "disc" & "part4". So -- this tells me that auto-insert notification of some sort is working.

Now, what I'd like to know, is wether there is a devfsd.conf setting which will allow for an automount? Given that KDE will automatically show mounted devices on the desktop now, I have this fantasy that two years after ditching BeOS I can once again simply insert a zip disk into my thinkpad and have it magically appear on my desktop.

Any ideas? Or do I have to write a daemon (or just a shell script which runs periodically) which looks for /dev/discs/disc1/part4 and issues "mount /mnt/zip" when it's present.

I'd like this to be as devfs friendly as possible, of course ;)
Phleg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the automount package? DevFS doesn't handle mounting, only population of the /dev filesystem.
pheelay
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that if u have a disk in the drive when u 'modprobe ide-floppy' everything works fine :D Saves all the SCSI-emulation lark!

pheelay
Forse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Might sound a little lame Reply with quote

Hi, I thought of bying a ZIP750 drive for my server backups (can't trust anything these sad days) and I have couple of questions about ZIP drives:
    How fast is it, Imean the read and write speeds? (I don't to buy it if it has same speed as floppy 8) )
    How long can data preserve on the disk?
    Is it secure and wise to have ZIP in server?

Thnx a lot in advance :)
pheelay
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's Zip 750 now?! nice!

Personally, I dont find Zip disks reliable for storage. I get endless 'click of death' on both my Zip100 and Zip250 drives, particularly on large transfers. Dont know how Linux does a much better recovery job than windows tho :D
pheelay
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would CDRs or CDRWs not be a better solution to Zip750 for backups? The Zip750 disks cost about the price of 30+ CDRs?!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: