Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Grub Error Collection [Part 1]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsukiyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, problem solved, thanks to Ray and Sith. Thanks guys!

Here are the steps:
- Insert Windows XP CD into drive and get your BIOS to boot to it first
- When prompted what kind of installation to go for, choose the 'R' option to go to a DOS-like repair console
- The two commands to use are
Code:
FIXMBR [drive name]
and
FIXBOOT

The first command will warn you if you have anything weird happening in your MBR and ask if you still want to run it. I did. Then FIXBOOT detects your MBR'ed drive anb puts it back as the boot drive.

- Then EXIT out of the console, which should reboot the PC. Make sure your BIOS boot sequence is back to normal or that you've taken the CD out

So, thanks to you guys I can get back to weaning myself onto Gentoo on my own terms ;)

cheers!
tsukiyo
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Sade wrote:
this URL should be posted in the firstpost.
It's the official list of error-codes by GNU.
Code:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Stage1%20errors
If you emerged grub, you can also access this list by typing info grub and looking under troubleshooting. I also posted them a while ago, here is a link.

thx, ryan.
I see that sometimes i forget the obvious :D
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sade wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:
Sade wrote:
this URL should be posted in the firstpost.
It's the official list of error-codes by GNU.
Code:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Stage1%20errors
If you emerged grub, you can also access this list by typing info grub and looking under troubleshooting. I also posted them a while ago, here is a link.

thx, ryan.
I see that sometimes i forget the obvious :D
I wasn't trying to show you up Sade, I was just giving people some more sources for the same information. Personally I don't think we can tell people about the error message listing enough, because half the posts in here are variations of "I've got an Error 22, wtf?" :wink:
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the thread is fairly long. It would be nice if stuff end's up in the startpost.

P.S. no offence taken :D
inigopete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add my problem to the current collection:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-341227.html

...thanks : )
HughDario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When trying to boot from Grub I've been getting an error 13 message whenever I attempt to load my Gentoo partition and an error 17 when I try to load my XP partition (which I think I know how to fix after reading some of the pages here).

At current I have two hard drives with drive A running WinXP and B running Gentoo (kernel 2.4.27) and I've tried switching the drives so that Gentoo is on A and XP on B, but the bios wasn't able to find the drives with that configuration. Let me know if you need more info as I'm capable of providing my grub.conf file if it is needed.

Any tips and/or pointers to other topics dealing with this would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if this has already been asked, but since when I searched for it nothing turned up I assume it hasn't.
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HughDario wrote:
When trying to boot from Grub I've been getting an error 13 message whenever I attempt to load my Gentoo partition and an error 17 when I try to load my XP partition (which I think I know how to fix after reading some of the pages here).

At current I have two hard drives with drive A running WinXP and B running Gentoo (kernel 2.4.27) and I've tried switching the drives so that Gentoo is on A and XP on B, but the bios wasn't able to find the drives with that configuration. Let me know if you need more info as I'm capable of providing my grub.conf file if it is needed.

Any tips and/or pointers to other topics dealing with this would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if this has already been asked, but since when I searched for it nothing turned up I assume it hasn't.

did u switch the drive's fisicaly?? did you get the master/slave jumpers right? in other words: did u connect them right.
usualy when the bios can't find the drives its a hardware/installation/problem.

P.S. post your grub.conf, and your partition scheme, and IDE primary-secondary master-slave setup.
HughDario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I fully installed all the drives correctly in the physical sense with both of the jumpers on Cable Select for ease in returning them to where they were in the first place.

In any case, my partition scheme is:
Quote:
/dev/hda-
hda1- 7 gigs- XP restore partition (came on the disk rather than a seperate restore cd)
hda2- 33 gigs- WinXP

/dev/hdb-
hdb1- 64 megs- Boot partition
hdb2- 512 megs- Swap partition
hdb3- 26 gigs- Root partition

My IDE setup has hda (Seagate drive) as Primary Master and hdb (Quantum drive) as the Primary Slave, with a CD drive on the Secondary Master.

My grub.conf is:
Quote:
default 0
timeout 30
#splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz (doesn't display right if not commented out)

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.27
root (hd1,0)
kernel /kernel-2.4.27 root=/dev/hdb3 vga=792

I have the XP first on the list because its what the rest of my house will be using (read the sig), but if that is part of what is giving the error I am willing to change it. Oh, and I did not build my kernel with Genkernel as I know how to do that much, I just haven't ever messed with booting off two seperate drives.

Much thanks in advance for any help.
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HughDario wrote:
Yes, I fully installed all the drives correctly in the physical sense with both of the jumpers on Cable Select for ease in returning them to where they were in the first place.
<snip>
I have the XP first on the list because its what the rest of my house will be using (read the sig), but if that is part of what is giving the error I am willing to change it. Oh, and I did not build my kernel with Genkernel as I know how to do that much, I just haven't ever messed with booting off two seperate drives.

thx for the info.

plz tell me: does the bios reconise the drives at boot time?? cable select doesn't allways work. you have to put the master at the far end of the cable, and the slave in the middle, and u shouldn't have used the cable backwards. If the bios doesn't detect, plz try hard-jumpering the drives. (i allways do)

the only strange thing i can find is in your grub config. the linux part on my grub.conf reads like this:
Code:
title Gentoo vga=0x318 no-splash
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 vga=0x318

notice the (hd0,0) before the kernel, i think in your case that should be:
Code:
kernel (hd1,0)/kernel-2.4.27 root=/dev/hdb3 vga=792

leave winxp on the first drive, in the first option if you like, grub can handle all that. I understand your situation with more members being on the machine.
partyplayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo on my computer, but after configuring GRUB and reboot it appeared that it can't locate kernel. I checked whether it is created or not, but I found it - /boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r3, but anyway Grub don't see it. The whole command list in grub.conf is as follows:

default 1
timeout 5

splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r3
root (hd0,1)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/hda4
title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

I tried many combinations like /(hd0,1)/ker... /boot/ker... , but anyway it can't locate my kernel. What to do?
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

partyplayer wrote:
I'm trying to install Gentoo on my computer, but after configuring GRUB and reboot it appeared that it can't locate kernel. I checked whether it is created or not, but I found it - /boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r3, but anyway Grub don't see it. The whole command list in grub.conf is as follows:

default 1
timeout 5

splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r3
root (hd0,1)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/hda4
title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

I tried many combinations like /(hd0,1)/ker... /boot/ker... , but anyway it can't locate my kernel. What to do?

plz supply some partitioning information
partyplayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dev/hda0 - ntfs - Windows XP
dev/hda1 (boot) - ext2 - Linux
dev/hda2 - swap - Linux swap
dev/hda3 - ext3 - Linux
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

partyplayer wrote:
dev/hda0 - ntfs - Windows XP
dev/hda1 (boot) - ext2 - Linux
dev/hda2 - swap - Linux swap
dev/hda3 - ext3 - Linux

now, should i do the math for u? u say hda4 is your root-partition in your first post, and hda3 in the last. things don't add up this way!

And, there is no such thing as hda0, so the information u are providing is incorrect.
I think your root-partition is a logical drive and will probably be hda5 or something like it.
You could check this with cfdisk /dev/hda (use the liveCD if your install won't work)

in general:
In linux partitions are:
hda1, hda2, hda3, hda4 for primary, and hda5,hda6,etc for logical drives.
In grub partitions are:
hd0,0 hd0,1 hd0,2 hd0,3 for primary, and hd0,4 hd0,5 etc for logical drives.

P.S. notice my snip from my grubconfig for the syntax a few posts up.
partyplayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, sorry, my fault. - it's of course in other way (all because of grub notation). hda0 is hda1, hda1 is hda2 and so on so it is as follows:
hda1 - windows
hda2 - linux boot
hda3 - linux swap
hda4 - linux root
is there any command i could find this file under grub (maybe it would show me the real adress of the file in the way grub understands it)
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

partyplayer wrote:
damn, sorry, my fault. - it's of course in other way (all because of grub notation). hda0 is hda1, hda1 is hda2 and so on so it is as follows:
hda1 - windows
hda2 - linux boot
hda3 - linux swap
hda4 - linux root
is there any command i could find this file under grub (maybe it would show me the real adress of the file in the way grub understands it)

one,
u can browse your partitions with grub. if u press the Tab key a lot, it will tell u the options. it's very similar to bash. (use "c" to get in the command line)
just try from grub:
Code:
root (hd0,TabTab

two,
have u tried my grubconfig part, (a bit adjusted to your situation offcourse, see below).
Code:
title Gentoo test1
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r3 ro root=/dev/hda4

three,
I'm a bit confused now, is grub not finding your kernel (wich is on the boot partitioin) or is it not finding your root partition.
partyplayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is not finding my kernel - boot. after tabbing i couldn't find kernel... normally i can find kernel (but permission to this file is denied (it's gray)). under grub there are other files in boot, no kernel. i suppose i do something obviously wrong or didn't cope with installation, because i'm just starting to learn linux. oh also using tab under (hd0, it wrote:
0 - filesystem type unknown partition type 0x7
1 - filesystem type is ext2fs partition type 0x83
2 - filesystem type unknown partition type 0x82
3 - filesystem type is ext2fs partition type 0x83
maybe the best thing i can do is to reinstall? (is grub removed after removing partitions? - because even after setting (under fdisk) bootdisk to hda1, system still launched grub)
Jim6
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I just made this mistake, I'll post a solution here...

Problem: "All I see on boot is a flashing underline!"

- Check out this
- or (like me) boot using a liveCD, chroot, and actually run grub-install this time :roll:
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

partyplayer wrote:
is not finding my kernel - boot. after tabbing i couldn't find kernel... normally i can find kernel (but permission to this file is denied (it's gray)). under grub there are other files in boot, no kernel. i suppose i do something obviously wrong or didn't cope with installation, because i'm just starting to learn linux. oh also using tab under (hd0, it wrote:
0 - filesystem type unknown partition type 0x7
1 - filesystem type is ext2fs partition type 0x83
2 - filesystem type unknown partition type 0x82
3 - filesystem type is ext2fs partition type 0x83
maybe the best thing i can do is to reinstall? (is grub removed after removing partitions? - because even after setting (under fdisk) bootdisk to hda1, system still launched grub)

grub is partly (stage1) on the MBR wich is not a partition, but a special place on the disk, and the rest (stage2) is in your boot directory.
if you remove a partition the MBR stays in tact. if you remove ore move your boot-partition mayb the stage1 doesn't know where to find the stage 2.

an other thing is that the filesystem-support must be compiled in the kernel for linux to boot from it. did you complie ext3-support in the kernel?

and try jims suggestion. reinstalling grub, just do this while chrooted in your enviroment:
Code:
grub
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
quit
this wil reinstall the mbr part of grub, no other changes are made.
partyplayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i have to start all from the beginning... how to chroot? i can't use most of commands required to chroot, also there are missing files i need. i'm confused
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

partyplayer wrote:
i think i have to start all from the beginning... how to chroot? i can't use most of commands required to chroot, also there are missing files i need. i'm confused

this is a very usefull trick chrooting, u should learn it. It is the best way to fix a broken system from a liveCD.
It is clearly explaned in the gentoo installation handbook, so take a look in there.

and if you need more help on this subject, plz open a new post because were going to loze the topic elseway.
Kevin89
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I finally managed to install Gentoo now on my pc but now i get errors with grub!
I followed the handbook by the letter, so i don't know what's wrong. This is my setup:
I have the following partitions
Code:

/dev/hda1 windowsxp  NTSF
/dev/hda2 extended
/dev/hda5 shared FAT32
/dev/hda6  boot partition ext2
/dev/hda7 swap swap
/dev/hda8 root reiserfs

Now i installed grub with #grub-install, and followed the instructions. This is my grub.conf:
Code:

default 0
timeout 50

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r9
root (hd0,5)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hda8

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Now i rebooted the system, and it gave me a black screen with a flickering thing, like i was about to type,in my left upper corner.
I pressed enter and it tried to load Gentoo, there were some lines of text on the screen, but they were unreadable, like my video card isn't good or
something. Well, that didn't worked, so i wondered if i could boot WindowsXP.
I rebooted, came to the same screen, hitted the arrow below (sorry for bad english) and hitted enter, now it normally booted windowsXP with no problems.

Now is my question, what could i've possibly done wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Last edited by Kevin89 on Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin89
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, i read some posts now, and i deleted the splashimage line in my grub.conf file.

Now i get to choose which one i load (although i'd prefer a splash image), but when i choose Gentoo i get
a lot of lines and then this: "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknow-block(3,8)"

What do i have to do now? Or should i put in the splashimage again?
Please tell me what t do :cry:

\
Kevin
Ezzet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]Grub error 13 and 17 Reply with quote

So I have this kind of situation now - I can't boot to Gentoo or Windows anymore. I've checked grub.conf and it's ok I think ( I have two disks hda -> Windows and hdb->Gentoo * ext2,swap,ext3):

root (hd1,0)
filesystem type unknown partition type 0x7

Error 17 : Cannot mount selected partition

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader

Error 13 Invalid or unsupported executable format

Solution by Suse:

Following the installation of SUSE LINUX 9.1, the Linux system can be booted, but the Windows system no longer boots. After selecting the Windows entry in the boot loader GRUB, a message such as the following is displayed:
The problem cannot be solved by restoring the original MBR with YaST or by writing a new MBR with Windows tools (with the command FIXMBR or with FIXBOOT from the Windows rescue console). Repairing the partition table with proprietary partitioning tools does not solve the problem and may even destroy the entire partition table. The problem cannot even be solved by uninstalling Linux or reinstalling Windows without deleting the entire hard disk.

One quick solution is to activate the LBA or large access mode under which the hard disk was previously addressed for the hard disks in the computer's BIOS. It is important that the hard disk values not be set to "AUTO".

If this does not help (or if your BIOS does not offer this option), you can repair the partition table with a driver update. To do this, proceed as follows: On our FTP server, find two images at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/9.1/misc/parted/: one for creating a floppy disk and one for creating a CD.

This solution don't work for me - I've tried! Not even fdisk /mbr or gdisk 1 /mbr works as it\s mentioded before!

This is grub.conf:
default 0
timeout 15

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd1,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hdb3

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Can someone help me? Yes answer is here http://lwn.net/Articles/86835/

Last edited by Ezzet on Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin89 wrote:
Okay, i read some posts now, and i deleted the splashimage line in my grub.conf file.

Now i get to choose which one i load (although i'd prefer a splash image), but when i choose Gentoo i get
a lot of lines and then this: "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknow-block(3,8)"

What do i have to do now? Or should i put in the splashimage again?
Please tell me what t do :cry:
\
Kevin

leave the splashimage out for now,

i'm guessing you haven't enabled reiserfs support in your kernel.

you should chroot in your installation using your liveCD, and then reconfigure your kernel. if you don't know how to do this, ask or check the installation handbook.

[EDIT]

this is a copy-paste from the first post in this topic:
Quote:
Cannnot open root device "hdaX"
Are you getting something like this error?
Code:
VFS: Cannot open root device "hda7" or 03:07
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:07

Make sure your grub.conf reads two times the same (hd0,X) entry. like
Code:
root(hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)...

nephros told me a few more possible reasons for this problem:
nephros wrote:
From my expierience, this is 80% of the time caused by an incorrectly configured kernel, specificly either:

[+]IDE chipset (or SCSI controller) support not compiled or compiled as a module (and no initrd).
[+]filesystem support used on root partition not compiled or compiled as a module (and no initrd).
[+]support for MSDOS partition tables not compiled (CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED -> CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION)(it happened!)

On fresh installs it's often caused by not having edited /etc/fstab during the install process, and it still contains lines like "/dev/ROOT / ext2 defaults,noatime 0 0".

Solution for both kinds is obviously rebooting the LiveCD or, in the former case, just a sane kernel and fix the configs.

Check out this thread too.

plz read the frist post of this topic!!!
zonian1903
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: (RESOLVED) Grub error when booting. Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I'm installing gentoo on a Tyan GX28 with a broadcom SATA 8XXX RAID Controller
and I'm getting the following error after Grub passes the boot selection screen:
-------------------------------------------
Booting 'Gentoo Linux'

root (sd0,0)

Error 23: Error while parsing number

Press any key to continue...
-------------------------------------------
After that it just returns me to the boot selection screen.

According to the grub manual this is a syntax error in my grub.conf file where
grub expects to find a number but finds somethng else. Thing is my grub.conf file
is extremely short and just don't see where grub is expecting a number and isn't
getting it. Maybe someone can point out my ignorance here? I'd really apprecate it. :)

Here is the contents of my grub.conf file:
########################################
default 0

timeout 30

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r11

root (sd0,0)

kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r11 root=/dev/sda3
########################################
Any deas?

Frank

Last edited by zonian1903 on Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: