Want new new MB, what will happen?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Want new new MB, what will happen? Reply with quote

Not to lay it on too thick but I am new to Linux and Gentoo and have received great support from all of you. Thanks!

Now my Q:

I have Gentoo running on a 300MHz Celeron. It took me nearly a month to get to where I am at. If I had to do it over again I could probably do it in 2-3 weeks. Long compile times. (do not read as a complaint).

If I get a new MB, one based on an AMD XP chip, what are the chances the OS would boot? I realize I would have to at the very least recompile with whatever network driver I need. (assuming it even come up).

I am weighing my new MB purchase with having to reinstall everything. I just got here and I am reluctant to do it all over again right now. :)

Thanks
lghman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this going from a little crappy motherboard to an ASUS for my AMD2000xp chip. I didnt have any problems, except with some of my server setups for some reason. But all in all it went pretty smoothly for me.

--sonik
dwilson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: I think this depends Reply with quote

This will mostly depend on your USE settings. If you compiled with march-(anything) there is probably no way it will work with a different processor. However if you compiled for generic x86 instruction set then you are probably money.
lghman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, thats something that I forgot to mention. I didnt break compatibility cause I used the same processor and everything, just on a new motherboard. Also, make sure to put the harddrives/cdroms on the same places as they were. (hda , hdb , hdc)

--sonik
Jkay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here and be happy(er)!

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=35724
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, When you have it running on a celeron and have CFLAGS for that set in your make.conf, then it should run on the athlon. It will however not be optimized for that architecture and you could get yuor system even a bit faster when you re-compile it entirely (build a new system) with athlon CFLAGS (assuming > gentoo 1.3)
The difference in speed might not justify the trouble however.
What you may want to do before you switch mobo and CPU, is build antoher kernel that fits your new hardware , like chipset support , CPU type. You hd speed will suffer without the correct chipset support. Also agp-driver may need a different setting for the new rig. Neverthless, you should do just fine, but consider baking a new kernel... :)

Last edited by aardvark on Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.

Right now I only have x86. Didn't see any march stuff.

I think what I want to do is very simple. The board i am looking at does not have built in ethernet so I will use my existing card. I am going to use my existing hard drive as well.

Great!

Thanks for your help and pointers.
dirtboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make yourself a new kernel that supported both motherboards. Then you can make sure you can boot after putting in the new MB. After getting it installed and booted, I would make a new kernel with all the old MB devices removed.

If you want to optimize the whole thing afterwards, edit your make.conf file to your liking and do:

Code:
emerge -e --deep world

BEWARE: This is gonna take a long while.
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from an ASUS P2B Celeron 300 to an ECS K7S5A XP 1700+ and everything came up working. No problems noticed whatsoever so far. Except now the computer is a lot faster! Thanks for all your advice!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: