/etc/ntp.conf verses /etc/conf.d/ntpd??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: /etc/ntp.conf verses /etc/conf.d/ntpd?? Reply with quote

It dawned of me today that there are two configuration files of potential use to configuring the ntpd time synchronization client.

One is /etc/ntp.conf.
The other is /etc/conf.d/ntpd

/etc/ntp.conf is the one that is mentioned in the official ntpd documentation itself.

/etc/conf.d/ntpd is a Gentoo creation.

Can someone explain to me what the difference between using the Gentoo one verses the regular one is? If I opt to use the regular file and do not use the Gentoo one will something get messed up on my system? In terms of using ntpd?

Why did Gentoo create a seperate configuration file?

Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Carlos
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow up....I went ahead and commented out the entire contents of /etc/conf.d/ntpd, and restarted the ntpd daemon.

My time is being synchronized perfectly! I am currently studying /etc/conf.d/ntpd to better understand what it is doing but so far it seems like I can use either /etc/ntp.conf OR /etc/conf.d/ntpd to accomplish the same thing.

One reason I am asking about this is that I want to simplify the instructions I uploaded to Documenation Tips and Tricks on using ntpd by eliminating the need to edit and use both of these files. If that can indeed be done.

Carlos
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo.
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an addendum in case any new ones get confused reading this post...

Using just /etc/ntp.conf (the stock configuration file referred to in non-Gentoo ntp documentation) works fine while Gentoo is running. But on a reboot, Gentoo is unable to start up ntpd as a result.

So...I had to redo the changes to /etc/init.d/ntpd (Gentoo's custom script to enable ntp synchronization).

I am still not sure what the difference in use between the two files is but it seems that Gentoo has it's own way of starting programs up which I am still sorting through. To better understand it.

Carlos
M104
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps:

/etc/conf.d/ntpd is used to configure the ntpdate command
/etc/ntp.conf is used to configure the ntpd daemon
/etc/init.d/ntpd runs the ntpdate command, then runs the ntpd daemon

ntpdate checks an ntp server of your choice and instantly changes your system date to match, then exits.

The ntpd daemon runs in the background and keeps your time in sync with one or more ntp servers by adjusting your system time slowly in increments so as not to mess up time-sensitive processes.

Cheers! :D
Chris W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files in /etc/conf.d are used to configure the scripts in /etc/init.d. The scripts in /etc/init.d are used to stop and start various daemon processes, among them is the NTP daemon (ntpd). Once these daemons are started they read their own configuration file. For ntpd this is /etc/ntp.conf, which tells the daemon what servers it is to synchronise time with.
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much!! That certainly clarifies things in respect to these two files.

Now I can add another nugget of info to my notes on what files do what in my quest to understand the overall framework of how Gentoo does things.

Carlos
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: