Where are all my posts ???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Where are all my posts ??? Reply with quote

I have a problem !! I use "View your posts" to follow up all threads that I have participated in. But since few minutes ago, they have all dissappear except the most 2 recent ones. Is it part of the incovenience report https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=40767 ? or a crash ? or what ?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you asked. On the advice of BartVB (who is a phpBB hacker and has been helping us out with performance tuning), we have limited the egosearch function to return only the last two weeks' worth of posts.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that it is better for heavy poster like admin and other very involved people but for me, I find it a little bit limiting. Why not the last 20 or 30 threads ? or combine them "up to 2 weeks old or 30 threads" ?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikshaar wrote:
Why not the last 20 or 30 threads ? or combine them "up to 2 weeks old or 30 threads" ?
OK, I tried this. The problem, however, is that the benefit we are getting here comes from the database internally being able to ignore lots of old posts, because of their date. This makes the query respond quicker, because fewer records need to be checked.

If you try to do "last X threads", then the database still has to look at all the old records, and we are back where we started.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
we have limited the egosearch function to return only the last two weeks' worth of posts.

Do I need to have posted to those threads in this period or any post to them will do?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fghellar wrote:
Do I need to have posted to those threads in this period or any post to them will do?
You need to have posted to them in this period.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
fghellar wrote:
You need to have posted to them in this period.

Is it possible to make it if anyone has posted to them in the last 2 weeks? please? :?:
This would be much nicer... :( :cry:
It would still cut down on hits to the database? yes?
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squanto wrote:
Is it possible to make it if anyone has posted to them in the last 2 weeks?

I have to second that.

Of course, everybody understands the need to reduce the load on the server, but I can find out about my own posts in my profile. The "View your posts" link serves better to see if someone posted to the same threads as I have, possibly providing a solution to some problem. The way it is now, "View your posts" is just a shortened (and redundant) version of the "viewprofile" page.
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree... I use the same feature to track threads I like/have posted in... at the very least, make it appear on the "view posts" thing when someone else posts in the same thread (that's why I use that feature)
flickerfly
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are all my posts ??? Reply with quote

ikshaar wrote:
I have a problem !! I use "View your posts" to follow up all threads that I have participated in.

Where is that? I've just been searching my own username each time. I looked for that feature, but must be blinded. TIA.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front page, near the top and to the right.
flickerfly
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Front page, near the top and to the right.

oh, don't look there much. Some other goodies too. Thanks.
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are all my posts ??? Reply with quote

Quote:

Where is that? I've just been searching my own username each time. I looked for that feature, but must be blinded. TIA.

seems you're a bit late tho :P it's "crippled" now!
flickerfly
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are all my posts ??? Reply with quote

Uranus wrote:
Quote:

seems you're a bit late tho :P it's "crippled" now!

To be honest, I'm actually liking the limit. That way I can just work with currently active ones and if I'm not busy, do a seach for my username if I need all that much.
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are all my posts ??? Reply with quote

flickerfly wrote:
To be honest, I'm actually liking the limit. That way I can just work with currently active ones and if I'm not busy, do a seach for my username if I need all that much.

That is simply incorrect imho... my definition of an active thread is when someone (including you) replies to it... with the new system, if you have not replied to the thread in a period of 2 weeks, it will disapear... even if someone else replies to it
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uranus: what you're wanting sounds like a different feature than just "threads you've posted to". In any case, I think it is primarily a temporary solution to the problems rac mentioned in the News & Announcement forum. I could be wrong.
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Uranus: what you're wanting sounds like a different feature than just "threads you've posted to". In any case, I think it is primarily a temporary solution to the problems rac mentioned in the News & Announcement forum. I could be wrong.

no. it is not! What I described is how "egosearch" used to work!
btw... it also used to show the new threads icon near a thread when someone else replied to that thread... I think it doesn't do that anymore either... so what good does this do? I want a way to check when someone else replies to a thread I have created/replied to. That's exactly how it used to work, and it's nowhere near how it is now
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks -- this change was made not because we wanted to, but because we had to. Our current server is getting overwhelmed with traffic. We have a new server being prepped as I type this. When it gets up and running, we will look at reinstating the egosearch back to its original functionality.

Until then, we will ask for your patience and cooperation in readjusting the way you do things to work within these temporary limitations.

--kurt
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Folks -- this change was made not because we wanted to, but because we had to. Our current server is getting overwhelmed with traffic.

Yes, I do understand that, which is why I didn't fire off flame e-mails to you guys and get the forums url on my slashdot sig ;) (just kidding)

klieber wrote:

We have a new server being prepped as I type this. When it gets up and running, we will look at reinstating the egosearch back to its original functionality.

That's great news... I really hope it works out

klieber wrote:

Until then, we will ask for your patience and cooperation in readjusting the way you do things to work within these temporary limitations.

sure. no problem.
xlyz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Folks -- this change was made not because we wanted to, but because we had to. Our current server is getting overwhelmed with traffic. We have a new server being prepped as I type this. When it gets up and running, we will look at reinstating the egosearch back to its original functionality.

any news about the new server?
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you desperately need to find an old post, doing a manual search by your own member name will work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: