Hacking KDE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
choward
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Hacking KDE Reply with quote

I want to install the KDE CVS ebuilds so that I can do some hacking on KDE. They seem to work fine, but I can't figure out how to make the source easily accessible afterwards. I've read Dan Armak's page http://cvs.gentoo.org/~danarmak/kde-cvs.html about a hundred times and I still don't know how to:
1. Have the source installed as a subdir of /home/src
2. Make all files owned by user craig
3. Not get an ACCESS VIOLATION (without disabling sandbox, or maybe I'm supposed to disable it, I don't know)
4. Make a change to the local files, and have portage rebuild everything for me, _without_ updating from CVS.

I've tried browsing through cvs.eclass and playing with some settings, but I just can't seem to get things working properly. Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
konqueror
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(i may get flamed (??) for this)

if you purely want to hack the sources, there's no need to go after the ebuilds, especially if you have a problem, do you? just use the normal 'cvs' and of course access the kde cvs straight off.

check kde's own home page (http://developer.kde.org/source/index.html if you want a direct link) for the cvs access, and gentoo's own cvs doc for a good guide to cvs if you dont know cvs yet.
choward
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konqueror wrote:
(i may get flamed (??) for this)

if you purely want to hack the sources, there's no need to go after the ebuilds, especially if you have a problem, do you? just use the normal 'cvs' and of course access the kde cvs straight off.

check kde's own home page (http://developer.kde.org/source/index.html if you want a direct link) for the cvs access, and gentoo's own cvs doc for a good guide to cvs if you dont know cvs yet.

Sorry, I suppose I made myself sound rather ignorant. I know I could do it all myself, but why bother when it's all automated for me? I want to code, not mess with build systems.

Keeping everything within Gentoo's system makes everything so much easier, ie switching between the stable and devel versions and making sure I don't clobber anything I don't mean to. It's a great system, and I want to use it to its fullest.
konqueror
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm i think you'll have to take a look at the ebuild yourself, and figure your way out from there... there's a guide to making your own ebuilds that perhaps you should take a look at (see gentoo docs webpage).

i'm not too familiar with the kde-cvs ebuilds myself, but point is that the ebuild (or portage) system normally extracts, compiles, installs, and then cleans off the temp files (ie meaning the extracted source files). If you dont want portage to do that, you'll have to meddle with some "clean" setting somewhere (i forget; do a search for it or something)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: