View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GilGalaad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: pppoe support Reply with quote

i have a dsl connection, with an alcatel speed touch home ETHERNET modem.
is it possibile to access the internet during install?
i have no router, so setting up eth0 with ifconfig is not enough.

if there's no pppoe support during install (as i think), there's a "tricky" way for me to get connected? or the support IS present and i'm so blind?

thank you
acidreign
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:09 am    Post subject: This depends. Reply with quote

This all depends on how your modem has been setup, what kind it is (USB or ETHERNET) and the authentication methods used by your provider.

I have the same modem, in an ethernet setup, currently in a bridge configuration.

If you can configure your modem as a "BRIDGE" and the modem itself logs in, ie.. you dont need a machine to run the pppoe client, just ask for a dhcp address, and you can continue the install just like the documentation mentions.

Perhaps provide some more information and we can help you more effectively.
GilGalaad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:00 am    Post subject: i found Reply with quote

deeply searching in other pages of the forum i found informations that probably will help me.

anyway, my modem is ethernet (i told that i must ifconfig up eth0...) but my provider requires pppoe, the modem cannot login itself.

but, as you probably know, this alcatel modem can be turned to a router, writing some string while in "expert mode". i tried and succeded, but i could not connect to my provider, even following instruction on provider website, dunno why, so i downgraded again to normal modem.

anyway, i case i will fail to connect using rp-ppoe as explained in other topic of the forum, can you explain better how to configure my modem as a bridge?
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Yes I know the way, but ... Reply with quote

I don't suggest to connect to the net in the installation phase because you are not protected. But if you think that I'm too much paranoid the process is this:
Put your modem in modem mode.
Download this packages:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/ppp-2.4.1.tar.gz
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/ppp-2.4.1-pppoe4.tgz
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/rp-pppoe-3.3.tar.gz
... and put all of these in a floppy or in a media that you could access in the installation process.
Boot from CD, skip the step 5 and use the stage3 tarball. When you reach the step 10 (before doing it) do this:
mount teh floppy (or the other media) previously perpared and copy all files in the directory /usr/portage/distfiles.
Then do:
emerge ppp
emerge rp-pppoe
After this you must have installed all you need, so exec adsl-setup for configure your connection and type adsl-start.
At this point you could continue the installation normaly.

Ah ... remember to insert the module for your NIC before chrooting (if you have a PCI card this must be done at the boot time).

Good luck!
GilGalaad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Yes I know the way, but ... Reply with quote

faithfull wrote:
Download this packages:
(cut)
Good luck!

exactly what i planned to do...
but why stage 3?

can't i do the same with x86 iso?
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes I know the way, but ... Reply with quote

GilGalaad wrote:

exactly what i planned to do...
but why stage 3?

can't i do the same with x86 iso?

No, in ix86 iso you don't have already the gcc compiler so it is impossible to emerge ppp and rp-pppoe.
I tried also with stage2 but too much dependecies are unresolved at this point, so you obviously need the 686 ISO and the stage 3.
If you have an older machine or a K7 after the adls-start command you can exec the /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh but I dont' guarantee for that.
Remember if you try this last way to tune /etc/make.conf for your needs.
GilGalaad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes I know the way, but ... Reply with quote

[quote="faithfull"]
GilGalaad wrote:

No, in ix86 iso you don't have already the gcc compiler so it is impossible to emerge ppp and rp-pppoe.
I tried also with stage2 but too much dependecies are unresolved at this point, so you obviously need the 686 ISO and the stage 3.
If you have an older machine or a K7 after the adls-start command you can exec the /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh but I dont' guarantee for that.
Remember if you try this last way to tune /etc/make.conf for your needs.

yes. i succeded!
really really thank you for helping.
too bad i must use stage3, because i have an athlon xp, and i think i could gain somethung using -march=athlon instead of i686...but i don't think it's SO important :)
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes I know the way, but ... Reply with quote

GilGalaad wrote:

yes. i succeded!
really really thank you for helping.
too bad i must use stage3, because i have an athlon xp, and i think i could gain somethung using -march=athlon instead of i686...but i don't think it's SO important :)

Glad to help! :D If you want you can try the script bootstrap.sh, if it works you'll find the difference!
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes I know the way, but ... Reply with quote

faithfull wrote:
I don't suggest to connect to the net in the installation phase because you are not protected. But if you think that I'm too much paranoid the process is this:

Errm... protected from what? The installer doesn't have any services running, and the Linux TCP/IP stack isn't exactly untested. There shouldn't be anything remotely exploitable, unless you enable it specifically.

Besides, most script kiddies are looking for insecure NetBIOS implementations, bad web servers, or misconfigured FTPs.
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes I know the way, but ... Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:

Errm... protected from what? The installer doesn't have any services running, and the Linux TCP/IP stack isn't exactly untested. There shouldn't be anything remotely exploitable, unless you enable it specifically.

Besides, most script kiddies are looking for insecure NetBIOS implementations, bad web servers, or misconfigured FTPs.

Right, I forget that this distro is not RedHat! :lol:
rieger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I trying to install Gentoo too :D

As I need PPPoE, I followed the instuctions as mentioned in this thread, however when I reach the "emerge ppp" command, emerge tries to find a site which contains the *pppoe4.tgz file.

This file I put (as mentioned) in the /usr/portage/distfiles, so somehow it cannot find it.

So I changed the SRC URI variable(or something like that) in the concerning ebuild file to point to /usr/portage/distfiles.

Now it still doesn't work because somehow it needs a tgz file instead of a tgz.tar file I presume. This is available in the distfiles dir :
ppp-2.4.1-pppoe4.tgz.tar

should this work, or do I have to un-tar the file first or something?

If so, what is the exact command to achieve this? I'm not that good with the tar options.

tia,

Lex
rieger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something else:

maybe I have to change something in /etc/make.conf, but this isn't present on my system.

everything else worked fine till step 10.
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rieger wrote:
Hi,

I trying to install Gentoo too :D

As I need PPPoE, I followed the instuctions as mentioned in this thread, however when I reach the "emerge ppp" command, emerge tries to find a site which contains the *pppoe4.tgz file.

This file I put (as mentioned) in the /usr/portage/distfiles, so somehow it cannot find it.

So I changed the SRC URI variable(or something like that) in the concerning ebuild file to point to /usr/portage/distfiles.

Now it still doesn't work because somehow it needs a tgz file instead of a tgz.tar file I presume. This is available in the distfiles dir :
ppp-2.4.1-pppoe4.tgz.tar

I belive that your browser recognized the type of file you download, so he put the "appropriate extension" in tail of the name.
The resolution for this problem is rename the file "ppp-2.4.1-pppoe4.tgz.tar" in "ppp-2.4.1-pppoe4 .tgz".
rieger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it worked!

I finally got it working, I can get back in with Grub (gentoo and xp)

however, now I cannot connect to internet anymore with "adsl-start"

modprobing 8139too fails (says it cannot find the module)

other messages mentioned something about ppp not being included in the kernel config. I did not find anything about that when doing the menuconfig.

Also during boot, I have a lot of messages xxxx: runscript.sh : command not found.

that seems not okay, any clue what this is?
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rieger wrote:
it worked!

I finally got it working, I can get back in with Grub (gentoo and xp)

however, now I cannot connect to internet anymore with "adsl-start"

modprobing 8139too fails (says it cannot find the module)

other messages mentioned something about ppp not being included in the kernel config. I did not find anything about that when doing the menuconfig.

Also during boot, I have a lot of messages xxxx: runscript.sh : command not found.

that seems not okay, any clue what this is?

You MUST enable these options (as a modules if you want) in the kernel:
Network device support-->PPP (point-to-point protocol) support
Network device support-->PPP over Ethernet (EXPERIMENTAL)
There also some interesting features that you could enable (depending on your ISP directives):
Network device support-->PPP Deflate compression
Network device support-->PPP BSD-Compress compression
Ok that's all (i suppose)! :wink:
rieger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faithfull wrote:

You MUST enable these options (as a modules if you want) in the kernel:
Network device support-->PPP (point-to-point protocol) support
Network device support-->PPP over Ethernet (EXPERIMENTAL)
There also some interesting features that you could enable (depending on your ISP directives):
Network device support-->PPP Deflate compression
Network device support-->PPP BSD-Compress compression
Ok that's all (i suppose)! :wink:

did it.

still no network connection.
and during startup (& shutdown) every command in runscript.sh seems to give "Command not found"

:(
rieger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, I did the following when compiled the new kernel.

mounted /boot to /dev/hda6 (which was /mnt/gentoo/boot during install)
and copied bzImage to /boot.

for safety I added another entry in menu.lst which points to bzImage.orig (I figured that would work if the new kernel would fail to boot)

But searching the web for kernel issues I find some info about lilo and vmlinuz, that lilo should be rerun to actually ' activate' the new kernel.

I'm using Grub; does above also apply to Grub?

I am hoping (now) that copying the bzImage to /boot would do it, but now I'm having doubts.
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: what a mess!!! Reply with quote

rieger wrote:

... searching the web for kernel issues I find some info about lilo and vmlinuz, that lilo should be rerun to actually ' activate' the new kernel.

I'm using Grub; does above also apply to Grub?

No this not apply to grub, every change to the boot files and the configuration files is immediately active.
rieger wrote:
did it.

still no network connection.
and during startup (& shutdown) every command in runscript.sh seems to give "Command not found"

:?
Umm ... I cannot figure how this could be ...
:!: Maybe this happens because the script expects to "insmod" the PPP(oE) modules try to compile these as a modules.
rieger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: what a mess!!! Reply with quote

faithfull wrote:

:!: Maybe this happens because the script expects to "insmod" the PPP(oE) modules try to compile these as a modules.

insmod?
insert modules or something?

I'm still a newbie...

I found om some other pages to add an alias to modules.conf:

alias eth0 8139too

modprobe eth0 is working, so this should work, but still no connection.
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: what a mess!!! Reply with quote

rieger wrote:
faithfull wrote:

insmod?
insert modules or something?

I'm still a newbie...

I found om some other pages to add an alias to modules.conf:

alias eth0 8139too

modprobe eth0 is working, so this should work, but still no connection.

Yes, insert module with the "insmod" or "modprobe" commands (you could use always modprobe).
But I meant to insert PPP modules and not those of your network interface.
Example: "8390too" is the driver for your NIC; "ppp_generic", "ppp_async" are modules for the PPP connection.
You probably must compile the kernel with these options as a modules.
This means that you must reconfigure and recompile your kernel with the options that I suggest you as a modules (press 'm' instead of 'y' on the configuration tool (of the kernel)).
rieger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay.

I've have them now as <*> but I'll give it a try with <M> now.

:D
rieger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did not work either.

so I did the stage3 install again to make sure I did not overlook something. but still the same (during install the rp-pppoe thing works excellent, and after rebooting doesn't :( )

In some other forum (alt.os.linux.gentoo) I 'm asking about the "command not found messages" which come from runscript.sh during boot.

Some guy said to post dmseg output. When looking at that I see the following:

PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
PPP Deflate Compression module registered
PPP BSD Compression module registered
8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.24
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:09.0
IRQ routing conflict for 00:07.5, have irq 9, want irq 11
eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xe0804000, 00:10:a7:03:6f:88, IRQ 11
eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139B'

this looks like the kernel has compiled en during boot loads everything correct.

I'm lost.
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rieger wrote:
did not work either.

so I did the stage3 install again to make sure I did not overlook something. but still the same (during install the rp-pppoe thing works excellent, and after rebooting doesn't :( )

:? Try this: reboot from CD mount your gentoo partition start rp-pppoe and see if it works.
If the connection works then it's a kernel configuration problem (and if you send me the dedailed configuration of your box I can try to make a config for you), otherwise ... I don't know :roll:
rieger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that didn't work.

message about not finding some net modules.

but what really strange is.
some script points to lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/*

while I've installed/compiled kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r5, so there is no *r7 directory.

very odd
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rieger wrote:
that didn't work.

message about not finding some net modules.

but what really strange is.
some script points to lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/*

while I've installed/compiled kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r5, so there is no *r7 directory.

very odd

Ok send me your DEDAILED configuration.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: