Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
USB mouse problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
core

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: USB mouse problems Reply with quote

I have a strange problem over here concerning my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer when running it in USB mode (right now, I use an usb to ps/2 converter, because I ran out of ideas how to get it to work).

Okay, here are the details: With the kernel set up during the installation (2.4.19) the mouse is found while booting, so the kernel seems to get it correctly. As soon as I try to start the X server (with the mouse set to /dev/input/mice or mouse0), Linux completely crashes. The same happens when trying to 'cat /dev/input/mice' on the console. Only a hard reset works at this point.

I found some stuff on www.linux-usb.org but there's nothing really new in there. I also tried to install a new kernel (2.4.18 patched to linux-2.4.19-pre6-rmap-12i-xfs-shawn11) with the same result.

I know the mouse should work with Linux because I had tried Suse Linux 7.3 a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly. The reason I would like to get it running on usb is that I currently have a dual boot system with Win2000 and I really got used to the five buttons (do not seem to work while the mouse is connected to ps/2). And yes, I need the Win installation ;-)

Has someone on this list experienced something like this before or am I the only one? Does by any chance someone know a solution to this?

Regards,
Chris
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to take a peak @ https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=2252#2252

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
echu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was experiencing the exact same thing. After I recompiled the kernel to make sure I had the proper support added, it started to work. I thought I had selected the proper options, but I guess not. One thing I noticed:

When it was b0rken, /dev/usb/hid did not exist
After I recompiled, /dev/usb/hid was there.
prolific
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I had the same problem as you with teh Intellimouse and I too used a USB-PS2 Converter for a while til i got the problem fixed.

This is what I did

Compile USBCORE in your kernel

Compile the following as modules

usb-uhci
input
hid
mousedev

Now, change your XF86Config Mouse Configuration section so that it looks like the following...

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Hope this helps. Good Luck :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: