Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here and this note in swifts blog.
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, the handbook renders beautifully in elinks, because it uses tabs to color certain captions and such. When integrating the new design, please do NOT use images for navigation or information. Be friendly to us text browser users. :/
mallchin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the feel as it is, it'd be nice to keep some of the fun elements whilst adding a more professional touch, eg the flying saucer :P

Good luck with the re-design, I just hope it doesn't become too glitzy -- Gentoo lives in the trenches :D
PrivatePanic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: (slightly OT): gentoo.org front page new design - ETA? Reply with quote

Hi!

Please move this thread if it's not in the appropiate forum, I didn't know where it'd fit better than here :)

So, what about the new gentoo.org front page design? From the design contest last year. How far are the folks who implement it? When can we expect it? Cause I think it's really really cool!

Thanks...

Pry

Merged with "Gentoo Foundation Website Redesign Contest -- the vote". The page before this is probably the most relevant to your question. --Maedhros
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working on it. We're already a few pages further but there's a small clash between some graphical designers. We're going to get a location somewhere where we can put all work publicly available for viewing pleasure (and testing) but we've still got a long road ahead. Don't expect it before august.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The redesign is progressing nicely. I have some preliminary layouts if anyone is interested in seeing them. The keyword here is preliminary. This was a quick hack I did with the xsl backend and generated on my local computer. The final layout is subject to review by swift et al.

Main Page
Planet Gentoo
Handbook Intro
Handbook Index
Newsletter
Handbook Intro - text browser

These are just screenshots not an actual live site.

note: This layout renders perfectly in Opera, gecko (moz and fire), IE6, Konqueror, Links and Lynx.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
The redesign is progressing nicely. I have some preliminary layouts if anyone is interested in seeing them. The keyword here is preliminary. This was a quick hack I did with the xsl backend and generated on my local computer. The final layout is subject to review by swift et al.

Main Page
Planet Gentoo
Handbook Intro
Handbook Index
Newsletter
Handbook Intro - text browser

These are just screenshots not an actual live site.

note: This layout renders perfectly in Opera, gecko (moz and fire), IE6, Konqueror, Links and Lynx.

wow! this stuff looks neat! :D
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
Main Page

Heh, you're pimping the forums over the mailing lists? I call BIAS! :P

Also, any chance you could kill the infinity? There was a rather large amount of protest about that part of the design on the -core list...
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
curtis119 wrote:
Main Page

Heh, you're pimping the forums over the mailing lists? I call BIAS! :P

Also, any chance you could kill the infinity? There was a rather large amount of protest about that part of the design on the -core list...

Forums over the Mailing Lists? I'm not sure I understand. Both are listed in the main menu. Is there something I'm missing? :?:

The graphics aren't up to me. You would need to send a mail to www-redesign@gentoo.org directed at Aaron Shi. I'm only interpreting his layout and using his graphics. He is the contest winner I am only doing the coding and (hopefully - hint hint at Swift, Ramereth and Neysx) infrastructure support. Aaron has never really given me any feedback yet. When he does I'm sure a lot of the details on all the pages will change. At this point in the process I'm just hacking this all up so we have something to look at to keep us motivated.

-------------

I did another hack up. Here and here are screenshots of the forum layout. I played with the colors for the table fonts. This was the best I could come up with on the third try so I stuck with it.

note: again, all layouts are subject to review and approval by the relevant devs.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
Forums over the Mailing Lists? I'm not sure I understand. Both are listed in the main menu. Is there something I'm missing? :?:

Front page, in the biiiiiiig box.

Quote:
The graphics aren't up to me. You would need to send a mail to www-redesign@gentoo.org directed at Aaron Shi. I'm only interpreting his layout and using his graphics. He is the contest winner I am only doing the coding and (hopefully - hint hint at Swift, Ramereth and Neysx) infrastructure support. Aaron has never really given me any feedback yet. When he does I'm sure a lot of the details on all the pages will change. At this point in the process I'm just hacking this all up so we have something to look at to keep us motivated.

Ah ok. I thought that the design was a rough reference rather than something to which you were sticking exactly.

Quote:
note: again, all layouts are subject to review and approval by the relevant devs.

Wheee, so we get to demand that the infinity sign be replaced by something that doesn't make us look like ricers? :P

Anyway, looks good. Apart from that frickin' infinity.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
curtis119 wrote:

{1}Front page, in the biiiiiiig box.

Quote:

{2}Ah ok. I thought that the design was a rough reference rather than something to which you were sticking exactly.

Quote:

{3}Wheee, so we get to demand that the infinity sign be replaced by something that doesn't make us look like ricers? :P

{4}Anyway, looks good. Apart from that frickin' infinity.

{1}OH, now I see what you mean. I needed a news item with a GWN for the front page as an example and that one was the first on the list. Nothing intentional. :wink:

The second item is a (Full Story) example. Notice how out of sync the date is?

{2}The original 2 pages that Aaron did of the layout is a rough reference until he gives me feedback. The graphics though are another story. I can't even draw stick people so even if I wanted to I couldn't really change anything. :?

{3}If you really have issues with the infinity you will have to take that up with Aaron (The infinity doesn't bother me. Doesn't help with the ricer image, I agree but it doesn't bother me. I'm neutral on this subject.).

{4}Thanks! :D
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaicr, the infinity sign will be kept, but I know a huge discussion will be held on this. It's not important in this stage of the development though...
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven Vermeulen wrote:
Afaicr, the infinity sign will be kept, but I know a huge discussion will be held on this. It's not important in this stage of the development though...

Exactly, I would like to reiterate that everything we have done so far is just preliminary. We don't even have a site map or even the roadmap fleshed out yet. Like I said, what I have done so far is just to give us something to look at and keep us motivated. If you looked at the code behind what I have done so far you would cry, it's messy as hell.
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Keep up the great work, curtis119. It looks great so far.

I personally like the infinity sign. :)
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
I did another hack up. Here and here are screenshots of the forum layout. I played with the colors for the table fonts. This was the best I could come up with on the third try so I stuck with it.

Can we drop the silly underlined links? They are only useful, at best, in designs were links have the same colour as normal text. This isn't the case here.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some infos I'm missing in the footer. (email, phpBB version/patchlevel)
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallamej wrote:

Can we drop the silly underlined links? They are only useful, at best, in designs were links have the same colour as normal text. This isn't the case here.

That was how it turned out using the default CSS of the redesign. It will probably go through 15 changes before we settle on a final one. I'll try with/without the underlining at some point. The nice thing is that the forum is it's own domain so it has a seperate CSS that we can play with for different effects. Consistancy with the rest of the site is important too though.

ian! wrote:
There are some infos I'm missing in the footer. (email, phpBB version/patchlevel)

Yeah, like I said: hack up. I'm designing an actual template right now that will include all that info. I started reading the phpBB style HOWTO this morning so I should have a real one to play with in a few hours. I believe the info you mentioned is an environement variable and I'm planning on putting it back in the footer. Don't worry ian, we'll make sure we have all the needed info included before it goes live. :wink:
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic0 wrote:
I personally like the infinity sign. :)

me too. the whole thing looks great.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
Don't worry ian, we'll make sure we have all the needed info included before it goes live. :wink:

Ok. Here are some thoughts:

- buttons/icons look pale
- "new topic", "post reply" are too huge imho and don't fit the color sceme
- "quote", "pm", "email" buttons are to small (especially if you use higher resolutions)
- don't forget that we have made modifications to the default phpBB templates (Jabber, posting.php, glance-mod etc.)
- the colors make the board look like Invision-boards. I don't like invision boards. :wink:
- the gentoo-logo on the buttom needs to be replaced. The original image from the redesign doesn't fit in there
- "View previous topic :: View next topic" in viewtopic.php is printed in black on a dark background (use white instead?)
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian! wrote:
curtis119 wrote:
Don't worry ian, we'll make sure we have all the needed info included before it goes live. :wink:

Ok. Here are some thoughts:

1 buttons/icons look pale
2 "new topic", "post reply" are too huge imho and don't fit the color sceme
3 "quote", "pm", "email" buttons are to small (especially if you use higher resolutions)
4 don't forget that we have made modifications to the default phpBB templates (Jabber, posting.php, glance-mod etc.)
5 the colors make the board look like Invision-boards. I don't like invision boards. :wink:
6 the gentoo-logo on the buttom needs to be replaced. The original image from the redesign doesn't fit in there
7 "View previous topic :: View next topic" in viewtopic.php is printed in black on a dark background (use white instead?)

1 I just used those buttons temporarily (got 'em from phpbb.com free downloads). The actual buttons we use should be designed by Aaron Shi to fit the overall scheme.

2 same thing. Aaron will design custom ones for us.

3 again, Aaron will design custom ones.

4 I was wondering about this. I only have the default phpBB installed on my box. We should get this up on one of the test forums once we have the layout/color scheme figured out. Do the mods you have installed affect the style template?

5 The color scheme is far from final. I didn't even bother changing a lot of it from the subSilver defaults yet.

6 The gentoo logo in the footer should be changed to fit the expanded forum footer.

7 Yeah, I need to customize the template more so those things can be can be changed individually. The current template CSS isn't fine grained enough. Aleady on my list.

I hacked that together last night. I had to install mysql, php and apache and set it all up besides actually designing the template. This was just a preliminary thing so we could get a basic template to look at (a layout for each page is one of the items on the roadmap). Like I said in a previous post, we haven't even gotten a site map done yet and tons of other stuff before we start finalizing anything. Be patient ian, I promise you will like the end result. Just give me some time. :P 8)
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new icons look great! But IMHO the letters are still to small on "pm", "quote" etc.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. There are some rendering probs. But I guess you're already working on them?
biznatch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The links to the screen shots are dead, any chance of a mirror? Thanks.

EDIT: Some sort of DNS problem... I added 72.9.240.14 realotw.org to my hosts file and it worked fine.
Slyde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biznatch wrote:
The links to the screen shots are dead, any chance of a mirror? Thanks.

EDIT: Some sort of DNS problem... I added 72.9.240.14 realotw.org to my hosts file and it worked fine.

I'm working to fix that...apologies.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could all this banter be redirected to the www-redesign mailinglist? I had no idea people were discussing it outside of the ml, I only found out through then GWN.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: