SPARC Sound (dead horse)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: SPARC Sound (dead horse) Reply with quote

Ok - I decided I need sound (stupid stupid me).

The platform is SUN Ultra 10 SPARC with 2.6.10 gentoo-dev-sources which of course has the SUN CS4231 sound chip.

So I went through all the confusing posts in the various fora here. Not much help. I did find that if I compiled support into the kernel it actually created the /dev/sound devices. Compiling as modules didn't work so good. Now I can't get any sound outta the darned thing (which - according some posts may be better than the screeching others have).

So... says I, let's put this old CreativeLabs Sound Blaster eum10k1 card in enstead. Simple, no? Well, apparently loading it up isn't so good. I get this:

Code:
ALSA sound/pci/emu10k1/emu10k1_main.c:633: architecture does not support PCI bus
master DMA with mask 0x7fffffff
EMU10K1_Audigy: probe of 0000:02:01.0 failed with error -6

sparc-utils doesn't seem to help since it's looking for a totally different device (/dev/audioctl) I think.

So, is there something I can do specifically to the kernel code to make it "compatible" with this architecture?

Failing that - where can I go to get more info and potentiall help on the CS4321 problems?

thanks,

--Oldan
tshrub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SPARC Sound (dead horse) Reply with quote

oldan wrote:
Ok - I decided I need sound (stupid stupid me).

The platform is SUN Ultra 10 SPARC with 2.6.10 gentoo-dev-sources which of course has the SUN CS4231 sound chip.

So I went through all the confusing posts in the various fora here. Not much help. I did find that if I compiled support into the kernel it actually created the /dev/sound devices. Compiling as modules didn't work so good. Now I can't get any sound outta the darned thing (which - according some posts may be better than the screeching others have).

So... says I, let's put this old CreativeLabs Sound Blaster eum10k1 card in enstead. Simple, no? Well, apparently loading it up isn't so good. I get this:

Code:
ALSA sound/pci/emu10k1/emu10k1_main.c:633: architecture does not support PCI bus
master DMA with mask 0x7fffffff
EMU10K1_Audigy: probe of 0000:02:01.0 failed with error -6

sparc-utils doesn't seem to help since it's looking for a totally different device (/dev/audioctl) I think.

So, is there something I can do specifically to the kernel code to make it "compatible" with this architecture?

Failing that - where can I go to get more info and potentiall help on the CS4321 problems?

thanks,

--Oldan

Based on my experience with my u10...

The problem with the SBLive, this is something I experienced as well.. and it has to do with the DMA Bus Master, I believe. The u10 PCI archetecture is based on some old specs. My only suggestion if you really wanna get better audio support, look for an older PCI card. I currently have an Aurora-based sound card in there now, but the problem I have with it, is getting ALSA to compile properly for 2.4.

Within the SPARC kernel, there is an option that you can set to enable support for CS4231 (as you have done), but be warned its not great by any stretch of the imagination. The one problem I did have was when the box booted, I still couldn't hear any sound till I installed a mixer. Once I got a mixer installed, and opened it then the sound worked.. for whatever reason, on my machine, the sounds like to set to the default level of 0 upon boot, and I have to load the mixer to get the sound to work. Currently I'm using "aumixer".

Some more info on CS4231: http://www.dementia.org/~shadow/sparcaudio.html

With all that being said, I'm still using the CS4231 for all my audio needs for now.
Drunkula
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the only way I've got sound to work on my Ultra2e (uses same audio chip) was to compile the sound support into the kernel (not as module). Also I did not use Alsa or the OSS stuff.

[EDIT]
Right from the main menu in the kernel config (make menuconfig) is "Linux/SPARC audio subsystem". I enabled audio support there and also selected the cs4321.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by Drunkula on Sat May 14, 2005 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
w.hill
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got sound working on my Ultra 5 which uses cs4231.

Linux athena 2.4.30-sparc #1

'cs4231' and 'audio' are loaded as modules.

I'm using the drivers that shipped with sparc-sources.

Still can't get sound on my Sunblade 100 :(

The only irritant is that when I fire up X and GNOME as a non root user I get "No volume control elements and/or devices found". Other people have had this problem but it isn't described as a problem for non-root users, just all users.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: