ALSA, Delta 1010
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e2ka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: ALSA, Delta 1010 Reply with quote

I've just installed the ALSA drivers for my M-Audio Delta 1010 and to my surprise I actually got sound to come out of my comptuer.

Things aren't perfect yet though. Here's an easy one for you pros, I'm sure:

when I try to run alsamixer - and some other alsa apps as non-root, I get:

Code:
>> alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Permission denied

When I run alsamixer or alsamixergui as root, none of the volume changes do anything. Note that the Delta 1010 is a 10 input/ 10 output card, so my mixer list is quite long. I have the following controls visible when running alsamixer:

IEC958
IEC958 - multitrack
HW [0-8]
Multi [0-9]
Multi Capture [0-9]
Multi Track Internal Clock
Multi Track Peak x 4
Multi Track Rate Locking
Multi Track Rate Reset
Multi Track Volume Rate

for a total of 30 objects. The Multi [0-9] and Multi Capture[0-9], as well as the last items listed have volume faders in the program. The last four listed have them all set at 100 and all the others are set at 0<>0 , and all the outs (Multi [0-9] I'm assuming) have MM at the top (mute?) Sound comes out of channels 1 and 2 in stereo when I load up xmms and press play. Changing any of the volume faders in alsamixer or alsamixergui produces no change in audio volume. The only reason this is a problem because (a) I'd like to know more of how my card is working with this driver (what all these things are and (b) I can tell that the output volume from the card is at a maximum and I can hear some slight clipping and deffects in the audio because of that.

Lastly, there are some breaks in the audio from xmms when I do other things like change webpages or move windows around. Is there a way to allocate a bit more CPU or RAM to xmms to prevent this or is something else causing the chops in audio?

Thanks,
-e2ka
krinkle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using Envy24control, it's in either alsa-utils or alsa-tools.. i forget =). Also, you might not want to use rc6 of alsa cuz there are bugs in it (i always post that, sorry =). I have an audiophile and i also get the brief pauses when i close windows and things like that, i have no idea how to fix it, but i would sure like to know =)
e2ka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you warn of rc6 bugs - do you speak of alsa-driver, alsa-lib, alsa-utils, or alsa-tools rc6, or all of them? Currently my driver is rc8, tools, utils, and libs are rc6 - that's the way emerge got them...

I installed the alsa-tools and used the envy24control -- it's a fairly nice interface, reminds me of the M-Audio controller for windows. The volume controls still don't chang anything for me though - but the level meters alowed me to discover that all 8 channels are outputting signal, instead of, say, only the first 2. I guess I have some things to figure out about how to configure this card.

I still get the annoying error for non-root users

Code:

>> envy24control
snd_ctl_open: Permission denied

I tried to find snd_ctl_open but it doesn't show up. I checked my permissions in /dev/ and made sure all sound-type devices are good and usable. Not sure what's going on here. (among other places)

-e2ka
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: