gcc-config and friends
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ssl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: gcc-config and friends Reply with quote

Hi,

Change of gcc profile with gcc-config didn't work (I wanted to go from 3.4.3 to 3.3.5 compiler). Actually no errors after issuing gcc-config 1 (1 is number for 3.3.5 profile), did source /etc/profile but gcc-config -l gives * after gcc-3.4.3 profile still. Also gcc --version gives 3.4.3 also.

Installed masked gcc-config-1.4.0 (yes, it was stupid I know). Now don't have working gentoo system.

Every emerge gives:
/usr/bin/python: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Please, need help about this.
Ssl
gwolf
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try revdep-rebuild (emerge gentoolkit first, if you haven't already)

EDIT: Well, this seems problematic actually, if you don't have it emerged
Ssl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwolf wrote:
Try revdep-rebuild (emerge gentoolkit first, if you haven't already)

EDIT: Well, this seems problematic actually, if you don't have it emerged

Hi gwolf,

Yes, I have gentoolkit package installed. Runing it doesn't help. It gives message:
Dynamic linking on your system is consistent. All done.
Found nothing...

What I have done (on another gentoo system) is to quickpkg sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 and to see it's contents as it is bz2 file. After that, I synced its content to system I have problem with. This didn't solve problem.

Anyway, thank you for your (fast) reply and help.
Ssl
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ssl!
Maybe
Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3"
emerge =gcc-config-1.3.10-r2
gcc-config -l
gcc-config <whatever>

fixes your system (change the gcc-version in the first command line to your version).
gwolf
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try
Code:
ldconfig -p|grep libstdc

The location where libstdc++.so.6 is being searched, may reveal something useful to you.
Ssl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This export LD_LIBRARY_PATH thingy, Voltago told me, temporarily fixed stuff. I did all steps and after reinstalling gcc-config I can change gcc profiles but always with this error:

Code:
bagi / # gcc-config 1
 * Switching to i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5 compiler ...
/usr/bin/python: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot op en shared object file: No such file or directory
 * /usr/bin/gcc-config: Could not get portage CHOST!
/usr/bin/gcc-config: line 82: env: command not found
/usr/bin/python: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot op en shared object file: No such file or directory
 * /usr/bin/gcc-config: Could not get portage CHOST!                      [ ok ]

* If you intend to use the gcc from the new profile in an already
 * running shell, please remember to do:

*   # source /etc/profile

Also, every time I login I need to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH...again. Appreciate your help.
(exporting CHOST=$(CHOST value from /etc/make.conf) didn't help )

Ssl
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ssl,

Now that you got this far, see this thread.
Ssl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a shit now...Three days trying to install full gentoo desktop like system and have broken system...Probably I'll keep only x86 (stable) at least for emerge system;

You all gave me a lot advice but no go. Thank you! Doing new installation tomorrow.
Angry...

Ssl
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ssl,

Ahhh don't be angry. I for sure did not get it right the first few times I installed Gentoo, but I sure learned a lot in the process.

Good Luck :)
Ssl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdgill0 wrote:
Ssl,

Ahhh don't be angry. I for sure did not get it right the first few times I installed Gentoo, but I sure learned a lot in the process.

Good Luck :)

Thank you very much for your kind support, jdgill0

This time installation went smooth. I believe it is because I have choosen to use stable sys-dev/gcc and sys-libs/glibc. I strongly recommend all gentoo users to go with stable gcc compiler.
It is good to see that official gentoo documentation (now it is called handbook) changed in that way that now it recommends non aggressive gcc optimisation and recommends toward stable solutions (f.e. ext3 is recommended filesystem now). That is very good and clever.

I have been using Gentoo GNU/Linux as desktop machine since summer 2002. This last installation gave me only three (3) packages that failed to compile. That is impressive! Those are:

Code:
media-libs/flac-1.1.2-r1
games-strategy/wormux
foomatic-db-engine (this,sandbox issue, is reported at bugs.gentoo.org)

I'll submit a few patches at bugs.gentoo.org this weekend for packages/ebuilds.

YEAHHHH !!! :)))
Ssl
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ssl,

Congratulations on your successful Gentoo install :D I certainly agree with the non-aggressive gcc optimizations and stable packages advice, in fact I am running my system optimized for i686 instead of athlon-xp and it runs great :!: I think reiserfs is as worthy as ext3, as that is all I use myself and have never had problems with it in the past 3 years. However, if you have chosen ext3, then you might want to take a look at this thread. I am thinking of creating a reiserfs howto myself, as I have learned some interesting stuff with reiserfs lately -- for example the full journal stuff is available with reiserfs just as it is with ext3.
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch Voltago. Trying to fix something on another computer, ssh'd over there
after running a emerge gcc. No errors, they told me it was done so ssh'd over and was going
to work on some packages that had a problem. Nothing would emerge and got the dreaded:
Code:
/usr/bin/python: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

libtool wasn't fixing anything. Compared my /etc/env.d/05gcc and /etc/env.d/gcc files and didn't see anything wrong.
The only difference was that on that computer is downgraded from gcc-3.4.3-20050110-r1 to gcc-3.4.3-r1 . Nothing was working. Couldn't even 'emerge --sync' or 'emerge info' or 'env-update'.

gcc-config got screwed up somehow also, had to edit some files in /etc/env.d and still couldn't get it to work.

Doing this worked:
Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3"

(change the gcc-version to your version)

– Steven Wright
root66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: possible env.d corruption Reply with quote

Hi guys, I had the same problem after a gcc update. I found out that my profile in /etc/env.d/05gcc was corrupted.
I had multiple versions of it in the directory and the one containing the correct paths was missing the LDPATH and other entries.
I solved the problem by symlinking to the correct profile in /etc/env.d/gcc/.
Hope this helps anyone...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: