Got a wierd one here....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Got a wierd one here.... Reply with quote

may not be a hardware issue, but figured i would start it here and let it bounce around if its desting for another section of the forum....

I have an abit AT7, am using lilo as my bootloader (grub would never boot my XP partition, so when i reinstalled i used lilo, which also wont boot the XP but hey..)
Whenever i use /sbin/lilo (after a kernel recompile for example) to write to the mbr on my hd my computer dies on the next reboot - can turn it off and on as many times as i want, nadda, the board will power up, fans will turn, HD's spin up and click away, but the graphics card never wakes up the monitor, never have the POST beeps - if i cause an invalid state (such as pulling the RAM out) i get beeps - good thing!
The only way I can get my system to turn on properly is to pull the BIOS jumper and reset it! after that it works fine (till the next time i use lilo..)
Tried to get grub going today and all i got was error 21 when it was trying to start (had to use my live cd to put lilo back on...)

quite annoying as you might imagine!

probably doesnt belong in this thread, but i would appreciate any help you can offer!

cheers

maj
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is weird.

I guess (!) your motherboard/BIOS does not understand the disk geometry anymore after rewriting the MBR on the disk.
Meybe this can be solved be playing with the BIOS-hyarddisk-settings: write down the geomtery-values that do work, then disable any harddisk auto-detection and enter the values you just wrote down manually.
Especially the access mode AUTO/LBA/CHS/Large is "suspicious".

Secondly, try adding "lba32" to your lilo.conf. It's meant for booting large disks, but maybe.....

Third: Have you overclocked your PC ? Don't !

Hope it's any use.
maj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

havent overclocked, will have a play with the lilo.conf - dont think its a bios issue because it would have problems if anything wrote to the mbr - grub and the nt boot loader have both been written to the mbr with no problems..

hrm
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: