Xine & NVidia GEForce2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Xine & NVidia GEForce2 Reply with quote

I first got my GEForce card to get rid of all the lockups attributed to my ATI card. On my first Gentoo installation, it worked fine. However, I rebuilt Gentoo from scratch due to a new hard disk (actually a few weeks ago). Ever since, I've had problems with Xine locking up X. GL, acceleration works fine. Movies still play with the Xv driver. No problem. However...

I can switch into full screen mode, but not out of full screen mode. When I switch out, the lockup occurs. I can ssh into the machine from another on the network and reboot it, but if it wasn't for the ssh ability, I'd have to press the power switch to reboot. I can watch my DVDs in full screen, but if I recall the Xine GUI on to the top of the movie window (with a right mouse click), that will also trigger a lockup (whether a movie is playing or not - so it's nothing to do with the movie playback itself).

This is weird. Is this happening to any other NVidia users? I am using the NVidia-kernel and glx drivers. They're installed correctly.
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to this, I've just unmerged the latest NVidia drivers (1.0.2960[glx] & 1.0.2960-r1 [kernel]) and remerged the old ones (1.0.2880) and even though it hasn't solved this problem - the frame rate is approx. 700fps FASTER!!!.

I certainly hope the 2880 nvidia ebuilds wont disappear from the Portage tree anytime soon - if at all! ;-)

Result from glxgears:
Nvidia 2960 drivers = 1200fps (approx.)
Nvidia 2880 drivers = 1900fps (approx.)

That's with a ABit Siluro T400 AGP card (NVidia GEForce 2 MX400 GPU).
jadyyr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem (and still do), but only when I was using the Xine interface. I switched over to the sinek skin/frontend/interface/whatever, and now everything works just fine.

sinek.sourceforge.net
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadyyr wrote:
I had a similar problem (and still do), but only when I was using the Xine interface. I switched over to the sinek skin/frontend/interface/whatever, and now everything works just fine.

sinek.sourceforge.net

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. I've been scouring the Xine bugs database and found a couple of users complaining about lockups when the aspect ratio is changed and/or when the GUI is brought back on top of the main window. I've a feeling it's the same issue. Maybe the last version of Xine I used (before rebuilding Gentoo) was different to this and that's why the problem suddenly appeared.

Btw, any idea why those old NVidia drivers are so much better than the new ones? I'm really curious whether other people are getting similar results. After rebooting, I got my frame rate up to 2300fps in glxgears which is just phenomenal compared to the newer drivers.

I'm really paranoid about the Gentoo packagers removing the older ebuild! ;-)
shadow303
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've encountered similiar problems with my Geforce2MX400, except I get lockups with KMail. I haven't tried the frame rate comparison. The weird thing is that when X freezes, I can still move the mouse even though nothing else responds (network connections still work fine).
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadow303 wrote:
I've encountered similiar problems with my Geforce2MX400, except I get lockups with KMail.

That's slightly more worrying KMail doesn't utilize any hardware support - which is part of the reason for the Xine crash (changing the aspect ratio/changing the size of the screen causes Xv to barf).

shadow303 wrote:

I haven't tried the frame rate comparison. The weird thing is that when X freezes, I can still move the mouse even though nothing else responds (network connections still work fine).

It sounds like an X Server crash. You can't switch to a console, but if you ssh-d in from another computer on the network you'd probably be able to reboot. Are you using NVidia's own kernel & glx drivers?
rogue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get the same xine lockups..right when i start xine the system locks up..but i'm not using an nvidia card so seems like there's definitly something fishy going on with xine
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogue wrote:
i get the same xine lockups..right when i start xine the system locks up..but i'm not using an nvidia card so seems like there's definitly something fishy going on with xine

Oh I don't know. The reason I got my NVidia was partly due to the way my ATI card locked up with Xine and ....well....GL......general movie playback....erm....everything.

From the NVidia point of view, it's definitely an aspect ratio bug in the Xine GUI. It wasn't there before and it's been reported over at Xine. With my ATI card there wasn't even that level of hope! ;-)
shadow303
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did an emerge of nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx. It's just a X lockup (can reboot via ssh). Also, occasionally certain things would be drawn with the wrong colors (like a dialog that had part of it's background drawn pinkish instead of gray). For now, I just use the nv driver and it doesn't give me any problems. I thought that you were also getting problems due to just the driver, but it sounds like you have figured that at least part of your problem is xine itself.
JefP@@
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using nvidia drivers v 2960

no probs with xine, nor with x
everything working great ... except from time to time a system lockup, while playing 3d games, but that's related to the amd athlon / agp glitch :P

(btw: I use agpgart from kernel, and not the agp support from nvidia, maybe that could help too ?)
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JefP@@ wrote:
using nvidia drivers v 2960

[snip]

(btw: I use agpgart from kernel, and not the agp support from nvidia, maybe that could help too ?)

Oh no! I'm using a KT133 chipset and it doesn't behave well with the standard AGPGart. I get lockups from hell. The NVidia AGPGart (recommended for KT133's) prevents absolute hell! ;-)

With the 2960 drivers, the performance difference is dramatic (regardless of which AGP support drive being used). It is clear from other forums/newsgroups that many people are suffering with them. :-(

It seems to be a case of potluck. Which drivers perform better for one person, perform terribly on another persons computer, and vice versea.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: