Network setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Network setup Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm going to (finally :))replace the nt-based network on my work with gentoo-linux and have some questions.
The net will be a file/proxy/mail server & 10 workstations (2 of them will be dual boot win2k/gentoo and all others gentoo-only) with 10-15 user accounts.
I was thinking on trying OpenAFS and also using Samba for the dual-boot systems. Each user will have his/hers home dir on the file server and when logging on any workstation it should me mounted and used as homedir & also mount another public share w/ his username / both get unmounted on logout.
Questions :
- which authentication scheme should I use so that the homedirs are mounted & used and how these dirs could automount/unmount upon login/out ? do I need local user accounts on each pc also or only on server ?
- does openafs play along well with samba sharing the same dir ?
Please help me since I' m not really an expert in network administration :-)
acidreign
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: Samba and AFS. Reply with quote

I have had samba and afs sharing the same point , with no noticable problems. Although the solution that I provided was for a 20 machine network, the way that it was configured allowed the user to only have one login, and hence they could never be using both at the same time.

Public shares seemed (and still are) working fine, users reading and writing with no problems.
acidreign
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: More thoughts, Reply with quote

Come to think of it.. the easiest way, might be to mount the /home partition at boot time, this way the user doesnt have to worry about having to fudge around at run time.
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: More thoughts, Reply with quote

acidreign wrote:
Come to think of it.. the easiest way, might be to mount the /home partition at boot time, this way the user doesnt have to worry about having to fudge around at run time.

Thanx for answering. This is how I was thinking about it myself. With that scheme I'll need local user accounts on each workstation, right ?
I was thinking of having user accounts only on server and on each workstation only root account local.
Since the net is on a univ. dpt. that new teachers come & go each semester I want it to be flexible. Creating & deleting user accounts on 1 pc only (server) not on 15 (workstations).
Any ideas ?
orkid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this where NIS comes in? http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orkid wrote:
Is this where NIS comes in? http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/

Thanx a lot. I'm gonna RTFM for the next 3 weeks :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: